Time for a new TV?

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

MiNiStRy
Occasionally Overlooks Gravity.
XBL ID: MiNiStRyS
PSN ID: MiNiStRy
Steam ID: MiNiStRyS

Re: Time for a new TV?

Post by MiNiStRy »

Looking at the specs its identical but smaller. You can't go wrong with either set imo.
mxlegend99
I don't watch Rugby League
XBL ID: mxlegend

Post by mxlegend99 »

Here's a set I saw on Ozbargain that looks decent.

SAMSUNG 3D Series 5 51inch Plasma TV (PS51D550) for $699.95 + Delivery. To Sydney delivery is $42.90, bring it to $742.85 which is a pretty amazing price for a 3D 51inch Full HD TV.

I've got a 40inch Samsung M81 series LCD as my computer monitor and it's still going strong after ~4 years and nearly 12,000 hours use. So unless the quality has dropped considerably since then it's hard to imagine not getting your moneys worth out of the set.

edit
Oh and if you subscribe to the newsletter at that site you get a $10 voucher, and there's also another $7 off if you pay cash.
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA
XBL ID: Shaneus
PSN ID: Shaneus2k2
Steam ID: Shaneus2k2

Post by Shaneus »

Not bad, but TBH I pretty much have my heart set (bahahaha) on a 42-incher. No room for a bigger one and to be honest, any bigger than the one I have now (that is also 42, but an average Aldi jobbie) would make my already smallish living space feel even smaller.

Have you seen any of the new Pana plasmas in the flesh, Min? My only other requirement (and it's caused me pain when trying to find a subnotebook, so much so I had to get one from the US) is that it has a matte screen finish and isn't reflective as fuck. Most look like they're gloss now so I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if the Pana wasn't as well, but I'm not getting my hopes up.
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

Fair enough. I'm not sure how I'd go at fitting a bigger screen on my computer desk, but I'm still looking at screens between 46inch and 55inch to replace this one. Having had a 40inch screen for so long it seems tiny even when I'm only sitting 2 feet from it. :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MiNiStRy
Occasionally Overlooks Gravity.
XBL ID: MiNiStRyS
PSN ID: MiNiStRy
Steam ID: MiNiStRyS

Post by MiNiStRy »

Yeah shane i almost bought the 60" version the other week but because i already have a 60" i wanted to go bigger so went for the 64" sammy at the same price. The black levels on the pana are the best in the buisness and i nearly bought it but my heart was set on the sammy, i would of liked the 65" pana but i didn't have $5000 spare !
cloud
Hard Cun...too much?
Hard Cun...too much?
XBL ID: ACE VENCLOUDY
PSN ID: ACEVENCLOUDY

Post by cloud »

64" dammmmmmmmmmmmmm! Post a pic of that bad boy!
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

Yeah a nice 64 inch screen would have to look epic. IMO you made the right decision... if you're going to lay out money on upgrading your TV, going bigger is the most obvious gain. My mum can't tell the difference between DVD and Blu-ray on a 42" Full HD TV, letalone 720p and 1080p etc. But atleast she can tell when a picture is bigger. :lol:
Mavy
XBL ID: Mavy
PSN ID: iwantalogin

Post by Mavy »

Thinking about the Samsung PS59D8000 currently just under $1900 at HN. Not a whole lot of comparison online price wise. Very nice TV though and read some good reviews. Any thoughts?
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

I nearly grabbed one to retire my 50" kuro into the rumpus but I can't bring myself to do it. Will see what next years plasmas are like (then cry when prices go back to crazy RRP on new models)

If you get one it's probably a good idea to make sure HN have spares. Sammy QC is apparently average but once you have a good unit you "should" be set.
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

Pretty awesome value for the Soniq L55S11A 55" Full HD LCD TV at JB Hifi. If 3D isn't important then this screen would be pretty good.

Here's the thread at OzBargain. I'm waiting for people who've bought the TV to comment on it. Although you can see comments on other Soniq tvs here. Most people seem happy with the TVs and think they're great for the price. They seem to use LG or Samsung panels. I might head instore and check it out in person... but I tend to not judge TVs based on how the stores set them up. They very rarely seem to use anything that demonstrates just what the TVs are capable of. I've checked out 3D tv's instore and they're running SD content that isn't 3D.
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Only 2x HDMI is annoying. I'd like to have 4x on my next set.
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

True. Although you can pick up a HDMI splitter for pretty cheap. I've already got one in use on my projector, even though everything is running through an amp with 3x HDMI ports. I currently use 5x HDMI devices on my projector (PC, HD-DVD Player, Blu-ray player, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3).

I think it was about $20 on Catch of the Day or Zazz. I picked up a few as they'll no doubt come in handy at some point in the future.
Pariah
Street Fighter HD Remix Champ
Street Fighter HD Remix Champ

Post by Pariah »

General Chaos wrote:I nearly grabbed one to retire my 50" kuro into the rumpus but I can't bring myself to do it. Will see what next years plasmas are like (then cry when prices go back to crazy RRP on new models)

If you get one it's probably a good idea to make sure HN have spares. Sammy QC is apparently average but once you have a good unit you "should" be set.
you have 8G Kuro right???

if so i think current pana range might have around about the same blacks..however the pana have improvement in other areas over the 8G kuro...

but wait till CES new 2012 range hopefully finally sees the introduction of the inf black panel tech that Pioneer created and sold off to panasonic...this whole 3D bullshit has really sidetracked Panasonic when it comes introducing fucking sets that finally have blacks that can match a CRT...
[img]http://i30.tinypic.com/5as8eq.gif[/img]
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Hey Ministry.

How does your Sammy go with brightness pops? Eg the borders in movies etc changing brightness in scene changes etc?

Pana "supposedly" partially fixed their issue with a FW but Sammy seem to be ignoring it.

Is it something that anyone would even notice or just internet whinging?

PS: If you haven't seen it don't go looking for it or even read about it ;)

The 59" D8000 looks like a solid upgrade over my current 50" Kuro other than that possible drama. Replacable or reparable faults I can tolerate since the Kuro will still be in the house.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Pariah my Kuro is a 508xda so not full 1080p but does a good job of dealing with 1080p content when needed.

I know it does good blacks but prob not as well as the LX series etc and at around $1900 for a 59" flagship sammy d8000 I thought it might be getting to the stage the Kuro could get semi retired to the Rumpus.

Just spitballing atm. Could then sell Kuro and shuffle sammy to rumpus and put p(an)io 2012 ver in living room this time next year...
Mavy

Post by Mavy »

What does SD content look like on a 59 inch screen compared to a 42 inch? Since a lot of tv is still SD and I watch a lot of rips is this going to be noticeably worse? Also how do the ps3 and 360 fare on these large screens?
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

I watch a fair amount of SD content on my projector screen which is around 110" and it's amazing how forgiving the bigger screens can be to SD content from a decent source. DVD rips look fine on it. The only hard to watch stuff is when you come across rips that look like they're from youtube or something. But even then, it's no worse on the massive screen then it is on my 40" LCD.

Although almost everything is available in HD these days, and download limits are a lot higher. So it's getting easier to avoid running into material that's unwatchable.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Meh. I went looking today the 59" Sammy does look very nice in store but I don't trust the brightness popping and the supposedly bubbling black filter (saw evidence of this on one of the 64"s) then throw in the potential for mad buzzing and no spare stock to swap out if I was unlucky and I walked away for probably another year.

Wallmounted my Pio today which has freshened things up and will watch CES with interest.

Rumpus now stuck with a pox CRT for a while yet...
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Was wandering around JB Hifi today and saw some 42" 1080p Pana Viera plasma for $580 on clearance at JB. Tried to work out what was wrong with it but I couldn't.
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA

Post by Shaneus »

Fuck, seriously? Exactly what I'm looking for. Maybe it's at my local one too.

Do you remember if it was this one?
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Wasn't 3D iirc, looked like an older model.

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/plasma-l ... -tv/650343" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Something like that

edit: I think this is it

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/plasma-l ... -tv/650394" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mavy

Post by Mavy »

Picked up the 59" Samsung series 8 plasma today. Should hopefully get delivered on Saturday.

$1950 with 3 years product care and 2nd set of 3D glasses. Pretty happy with that.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Solid deal Mavy.

:nana:
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA

Post by Shaneus »

Found my TV!
Seems perfect, isn't THAT expensive and been getting good reviews all around. Only suspect thing is buying from Bing Lee, but other than that it seems like a solid deal. That it's ~$200 cheaper than anywhere else (B&M or otherwise) is surprising.

Anyone know how warranty deals would work with an online-ordered device? I live about 30secs drive away from the Victorian authorised Pana repair place (RTD) if that makes a difference.
Vzzzbx
Bob Brown’s Rainbow Cumrag
XBL ID: Fairlie Arrow
PSN ID: vzbxvzbx
Steam ID: vzbxvzbx

Time for a new TV?

Post by Vzzzbx »

By law you should be covered by the manufacturer's warranty. Excellent purchase btw.
Last edited by Vzzzbx on 05 Jan 2012 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.