Time for a new TV?

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Re: Time for a new TV?

Post by mech »

You should be able to get a decent 42" Samsung for that price that does 1080p and has mkv playback over usb and network.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

My friend bought one of those televisions that have RGBY. He plugged in his 360 to the HDMI and it came up as Xbox 360 on the channel selection. It was kind of creepy. No need to rename channels.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Does he see the picture?
DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

GreyWizzard wrote:My friend bought one of those televisions that have RGBY. He plugged in his 360 to the HDMI and it came up as Xbox 360 on the channel selection. It was kind of creepy. No need to rename channels.
It's annoying on my Samsung Plasma that I can't rename input channels, you can only choose from a set number of options. Can rename them on my friggen Sony CRT that's been out for 8+ years.
mech

Post by mech »

Named inputs seems pretty useless most of the time to me - I've got a switcher before the TV anyway, and I use a universal remote.

If you only have a TV and then the devices plugged directly into it and no universal remote it could be handy though.
DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

mech wrote:Named inputs seems pretty useless most of the time to me - I've got a switcher before the TV anyway, and I use a universal remote.

If you only have a TV and then the devices plugged directly into it and no universal remote it could be handy though.
I have a few things directly connected, then some going through my receiver. Foxtel goes direct to TV (to reduce needless wear and tear on receiver and needless power bills) with an optical out to the receiver in case I want surround sound, so that's one input. Xbox 360 goes direct to the TV for picture using a suspiciously sourced VGA cable ;) so there's another I could label. PS3 and HD-DVD/DVD player are direct through the receiver so those inputs are appropriately named on there.

On the Sony TV I had the receiver input noted as Receiver or something similar.

Using a universal remote, so it doesn't really matter when selectin g the inputs but it would be nice if the right thing flashed up on the screen :) The Samsung is also crazy slow to startup originally and can take some time to switch inputs. Required a fair bit of delay tweaking with the harmony to get things working well and even now every now and then it has its moments.

Having said all that I love the TV. :nana: Huge-tastic.
Mr Troll

Post by Mr Troll »

I thought all TV's allowed you to rename inputs. Huh, I guess it's the simple things that some companies forget.
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

Samsung = pile of shit to use. I wouldn't buy a microwave from them, our tv is so clunky to use.
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
stanard
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: shimma
PSN ID: shimma1138
Steam ID: stanard

Post by stanard »

Yeah, gotta agree with that. I love our Samsung LCD from a technical and picture quality viewpoint, but it's got some rather annoying traits.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

I've been doing a lot of research, and the Samsungs are apparently a bucket of shit when it comes to input lag. 90ms-120ms response, even in Game Mode.....
Glad I discovered this, as I was pretty much set on a Samsung.

Panasonic, Sharp, or LG are apparently the way to go. The search continues, but I'm leaning towards a Panasonic Viera LCD at the moment. Ack - I remember seeing some really shit Panasonic gear back in the days when I used to deal with them. Particularly some REALLY SHIT VCR's. It's going to be tough to get through my brand bias here.
MiNiStRy
Occasionally Overlooks Gravity.
XBL ID: MiNiStRyS
PSN ID: MiNiStRy
Steam ID: MiNiStRyS

Post by MiNiStRy »

Why a lcd have you looked at the new plasma range in either a panasonic or sammy?
Very nice picture indeed.
Vzzzbx
Bob Brown’s Rainbow Cumrag
XBL ID: Fairlie Arrow
PSN ID: vzbxvzbx
Steam ID: vzbxvzbx

Post by Vzzzbx »

Panasonic plasma sets are the best available atm. If you must buy an LCD (as did I) the Sonys are good, if not terribly good value. The HX800s do an input lag of ~31ms. I've not noticed the lag at all and I'm a fussy bastard.

If you want bang for your buck and only need your television to last three weeks, get a Samsung. Oh and ignore Samsung's bonus deals because the extras are taking ~3 months to arrive.
mech

Post by mech »

I installed the latest RC of "TVMobili" on my mac mini last night, and all of a sudden video streaming to my tv just works. It's amazing. Even over my shitty ethernet over power connection I can stream hi-def mkvs straight to the TV. THE FUTURE.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Just with your Samsung... if you are looking to get one. Learn how to solder and get some capacitors, as they will crap out on you and you won't be able to turn your tv on... They use some cheap shit for that function.
mech

Post by mech »

Hahahaha, nice.

I've already noticed that one of my HDMI ports seems to be busted.

Wonder if I should have gotten an extended warranty...
ObSoLeTe
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: OBY83

Post by ObSoLeTe »

So my brother an I where so close on getting a sony hx800 lcd today but we were told to stay away from them and told to look at plasmas instead of lcds and check out the panasonics.

tho my brother wants a 3d tv where im not really interested. i have read alot of places (like here) to go for a panasonic plasma, i read some where that lcd/leds colours are vibrant and fake looking where plasmas colours are more natural

were mainly gaming and watching shit off foxtel,free to air and shit DLed

thoughts?

"Old But Not Obsolete" - A.Schwarzenegger
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!
XBL ID: Burnzoire
Steam ID: Burnzoire

Post by Burnzoire »

<-- happy panasonic plasma owner

Can't speak for LCDs but I thought they had caught up by now.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

If you are watching foxtel get a plasma.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Once you've got a list of suggestions, make sure to try them in store and ask if you can read the manuals and play with the tv settings. You really want the tv that you find most appealing. You're going to be looking at it. See if you can try both SD and HD content on the tv too.
Vzzzbx

Post by Vzzzbx »

Plasmas are better at 3D, wide viewing angles, evenly distributed lighting across the screen and input lag for games. LCDs weigh less, they don't buzz, they're generally capable of being much brighter (important for some rooms) and they don't suffer image retention or burn-in.
mxlegend99
I don't watch Rugby League
I don't watch Rugby League
XBL ID: mxlegend

Post by mxlegend99 »

Can't believe all the people here having trouble with Samsung TVs. I've got a Samsung M81 series LCD that's still running strong, with the primary use being as my Computer monitor. Not sure how long I've had it exactly, but the service menu has logged it in at 9957 hours. Given the TV is between 3 and 4 years old it gets somewhere between 7 and 9 hours use a day on average.

Before I picked this up I was also running a 42" Samsung DLP 720p screen. That ran flawlessly until the bulb died after giving it to my parents. Unless it's just the more recent Samsung TV's that have problems?
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Vzzzbx wrote:Plasmas are better at 3D, wide viewing angles, evenly distributed lighting across the screen and input lag for games. LCDs weigh less, they don't buzz, they're generally capable of being much brighter (important for some rooms) and they don't suffer image retention or burn-in.
Incorrect! I have actually seen more burnt in LCD's than plasmas
Vzzzbx

Post by Vzzzbx »

Seriously? Oh maaaaan.
jobbidiar
XBL ID: jobbidiar
PSN ID: jobbidiar
Steam ID: jobbidiar

Post by jobbidiar »

ObSoLeTe wrote:So my brother an I where so close on getting a sony hx800 lcd today but we were told to stay away from them and told to look at plasmas instead of lcds and check out the panasonics.

tho my brother wants a 3d tv where im not really interested. i have read alot of places (like here) to go for a panasonic plasma, i read some where that lcd/leds colours are vibrant and fake looking where plasmas colours are more natural

thoughts?
Get a Panasonic Viera plasma, can't be beat and from what I've read in regards to 3d the 3d Panasonic Viera is the best 3d tv avaliable at the moment, i saw a 65" Panasonic Viera at JB Hi-Fi the other day, was shocked at how much they have dropped in price this year.

Anyone got any recommendations on a decent cheap 32" lcd/led? Can't really see the point spending $1000 on one when you can get a 50" plasma for the same price nowadays, just a bit limited room wise otherwise i'd get something much bigger
Uncharted 4 GOTY 2015 (unless it's broken like MCC)
stanard
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: shimma
PSN ID: shimma1138
Steam ID: stanard

Post by stanard »

ObSoLeTe wrote:So my brother an I where so close on getting a sony hx800 lcd today but we were told to stay away from them and told to look at plasmas instead of lcds and check out the panasonics.

thoughts?
When it comes to LCD vs Plasma, you have to make the decision yourself. Do not let other people tell you which to go for. Go look and see what you prefer.