Time for a new TV?

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Vzzzbx
Bob Brown’s Rainbow Cumrag
XBL ID: Fairlie Arrow
PSN ID: vzbxvzbx
Steam ID: vzbxvzbx

Re: Time for a new TV?

Post by Vzzzbx »

Yeah, you can get tossed around quite a bit. I started with features and worked back from there.

Honestly Obsolete, if you were close to getting an HX800 and are happy with it, just get one. There's a fantastic bonus kit going atm, contains 3D glasses, a 1?0Gb PS3, games etc.
mech
Phase 3: Profit!
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

Yeah, exactly. If you like the look of the TV, just get it.
ObSoLeTe
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: OBY83

Post by ObSoLeTe »

ok guys thanks for your help :up: ,im going to go looking around and see what i prefer

"Old But Not Obsolete" - A.Schwarzenegger
Pariah
Street Fighter HD Remix Champ

Post by Pariah »

this is kind of a bad time of year to buy HT gear...with most new shit being shown off at CES [jan 6th - 9th]

from Panasonic youll be seeing their brand new plasma range that incorporates a ton of the tech they purchased off pioneer [you can expect the best blacks of any digital display thanks to them buying this tech] along with more advancements in 3D performance

sony and samsung will be showing off much better LCD displays [pretty much all with LED backlighting...high end models should be using RGBLED backlighting] they will also no doubt fix some of the issues their current 3D sets have with advancements in motion and refresh rate..

not to mention other tech advancements that will be shown off by each manufacturer

even if you dont feel like buying any of these new products its that time of year after these announcements that you should be able to strike up much better deal for yourself on "old" stock...since stores will be making space for the new round of products
[img]http://i30.tinypic.com/5as8eq.gif[/img]
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

I love the LCD/LED TV's. The colours children!
Vzzzbx
Bob Brown’s Rainbow Cumrag
XBL ID: Fairlie Arrow
PSN ID: vzbxvzbx
Steam ID: vzbxvzbx

Post by Vzzzbx »

Ignore Pariah, there's always a new mind-blowing game-changing update just around the corner. Just buy a bloody telly ffs.
mxlegend99
I don't watch Rugby League
I don't watch Rugby League
XBL ID: mxlegend

Post by mxlegend99 »

Vzzzbx wrote:Ignore Pariah, there's always a new mind-blowing game-changing update just around the corner. Just buy a bloody telly ffs.
This. There's never a perfect time to upgrade these sorts of electronics.
Pariah

Post by Pariah »

you guys are dead wrong...and youre missing the point of my post completely

if he wants the best deals on current tvs he should wait..i use to work at a high end HT store a few years back and it was always the case that after the holiday rush and after CES thats when you could find some of the best prices on gear..due to the requirement of clearing old stock [and i still have friends working in the industry who say this still continues to this day]

eh up to him end of the day..but i thought i would inform him anyway..no harm done :)
[img]http://i30.tinypic.com/5as8eq.gif[/img]
ObSoLeTe
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: OBY83

Post by ObSoLeTe »

thats fine guys , im hearing both points of the argument so this pleases me :D

:btw: looking into buying a new amp at some point, currently running a pioneer vsx-d912 but its about 5 to 6 years old now

i was looking at the pioneer vsx 1020 and been quoted from $777 to $900 from a few places

"Old But Not Obsolete" - A.Schwarzenegger
cloud
Hard Cun...too much?
Hard Cun...too much?
XBL ID: ACE VENCLOUDY
PSN ID: ACEVENCLOUDY

Post by cloud »

I just grabbed a 55" Sony bravia 200hz for $2000 from the good guys! Pay less pay cash! :D
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD
XBL ID: AgOnNy
PSN ID: AgOnNy
Steam ID: AgOnNy

Post by AgOnNy »

Looking again at a new TV to replace my Sammy 50" Plasma. Was looking at the newer Sammy LEDs but still prefer plasma tech. Was looking around and can get a great deal on the Panasonic 55" GT (http://www.panasonic.com.au/Products/VI ... A/Overview" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). With the 3D Starter pack, extra warranty (5yrs all up) and free delivery I'd be looking at $2k.

I understand that Panasonic plasmas are meant to be pretty good and better picture than the Sammys. Any thoughts from anyone?
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

I was at Costco on the weekend and couldn't believe the price they had on some TVs. Just insane
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD
XBL ID: AgOnNy
PSN ID: AgOnNy
Steam ID: AgOnNy

Post by AgOnNy »

Yeah, some crazy stuff around.

Tempted to buy tomorrow....need advice/recommendations
MiNiStRy
Occasionally Overlooks Gravity.
XBL ID: MiNiStRyS
PSN ID: MiNiStRy
Steam ID: MiNiStRyS

Post by MiNiStRy »

Bought one of the sammy 64" 3d plasma's from jb last week for under 2 grand....prices be crazy!

http://m.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/PN64D550C1FXZA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
David Carney

Post by David Carney »

I'm in the market for a TV but am at a crossroads.

I just want something solid for games and for Blu-rays (and I suppose sports too ie. good motion. But that's a bit secondary). And because it's in a small space it doesn't need to be huge.

My budget is around $500 for at least a 32" LED LCD. But I would pay more if they were bundling a free PS3 :lol:

I'm just not sure about spending more for 3D. I don't care for it anyway and I hope it dies. I'm thinking that 3D content is sparse anyway now, and it's poor. So even if it did take off it won't be for a while.

Any thoughts or recommendations of those in the know?
KillKen
lazy
XBL ID: KillKen

Post by KillKen »

I've seen some Samsungs at Harvey Norman go for around that so if you shouldn't have any issues picking up a decent 32inch for that much. I usually go and have a look at the TV's and if I see one I like I google a review of the product number there in the shop on my phone.
Darwi
Obey your thirst

Post by Darwi »

The current PC User Magazine has a couple of articles looking at best TV's under $1K and $2.5K.

Nothing earth-shattering... but should give you a feel for what's out there.
David Carney

Post by David Carney »

Thanks guys! I'll check it out. Maybe I should walk up to JB at lunch time and have a look also haha... It's true, specs sometimes mean nothing - if it looks good, buy it hey...
David Carney

Post by David Carney »

Just went into jbhifi... What I can't understand is why some 50hz TV's look better than 100hz. What a minefield. I should just spin a wheel and buy whatever comes up :P
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Just close your eyes and throw a dart. Which ever telly you damage, you buy!
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

It's cause 100hz is usually a mode where the TV does its best to guess the next frame and fill it in to make it all look nice and smooth. And it can look especially bizarre when you've got images moving faster than the TV can keep up.

Generally it's just an option on the TV and can be flicked off, but some manufacturers in their infinite wisdom leave it permanently enabled. (Very few though)
David Carney

Post by David Carney »

Ahh good to know. I'll have to check out the tech specs...
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

Finally picked up some 3d glasses for my new Panasonic. Held off buying some due to the shit prices of em.....$150-$200. Found a double pack that came with Avatar 3d for $240. Already got a copy of Avatar 3d with my plasma, so I sold Avatar on EBay for $120. Glasses end up costing me 60 bucks each. Watched Capt America and Tron first, 2 movies that where not filmed in 3d, both looked great but felt they where missing something 3d wise. Then chucked in Avatar and IMAX Tahiti, both looked amazing, the depth in the 3d was mind blowing. Really showed how much difference it makes when 3d cameras are actually used compared to the post production 3d
David Carney

Post by David Carney »

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-lcd-led-pla ... sku-68122/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm liking the look of this one.

There's also more expensive ones with 3D that I'm tempted by. I don't care much for 3D but I want to future proof myself if the next generation of consoles have 3D...

I heard that 3D worked well in games, anyone have an opinion on that?
David Carney

Post by David Carney »

Hmm I just noticed it's only 50hz :/