Time for a new TV?

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Time for a new TV?

Post by Candy Arse »

Have floated the idea of selling my current set (40" Bravia), with the proceeds going towards a new one, which will be something along the lines of a 100Hz LCD or a Plasma panel, and if it's Plasma it'll be a Viera.

Still, would like to get some opinions/discussion happening here. Haven't done a whole lot of reading on panels of late since I've been happy with mine but I think it's time to upgrade to something that can handle motion a tad better.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

I've got a 51cm Telefunken Candy.
Candy Arse wrote: XBONE 900p > PS4 1080p
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

I'd hang on for another year and see how these 3D tellies are going to fare next year when they hit retail.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
mech
Phase 3: Profit!
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

What's wrong with the 40"?
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

It's a Sony? ;)
mxlegend99
I don't watch Rugby League
I don't watch Rugby League
XBL ID: mxlegend

Post by mxlegend99 »

If the room isn't too bright you should consider a projector. I picked up a Sanyo Z700 projector earlier this year (Upgraded from a 40" Samsung M81) and it's just absolutely amazing watching movies on 120+ inch screen in FullHD.

My main reason for not wanting a projector was having to replace lamps and that boosting the cost, but those projectors come with a 3year warranty on both the lamp and the projector itself. I was also concerned about the rainbow effects, but that seems to be a thing of the past.

It's also great having friends and family come around and absolutely shitting themselves when they see the screen. When i don't have lights on in the room it's pitch black though. The window in the room it was in has been filled in. Even with the lights on the picture is still pretty good until you hit dark scenes. Then it's hard to make out the details.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Mech, I want one that handles motion better. It does well enough but...not well enough really. If this panel offered 100Hz I wouldn't be thinking about anything else as it is really nice. I am starting to think of a Panasonic G10 Plasma.

mx, my lounge room isn't projector friendly, that's all that is holding me back. But even if it was I wouldn't get one to use full-time anyway.
[IMG]http://gamercards.exophase.com/106445.png[/IMG]
BigSwingingUdders
NOT JIZZLOBBER
XBL ID: Pre-baked
PSN ID: 40% Better

Post by BigSwingingUdders »

Yeah, you need 100hz minimum with LCD's. My 200hz Bravia does a lovely job of eliminating blur altogether.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

How do people stand this 100Htz stuff? All I do is watch the artifacting around moving objects. It drives me crazy. Every tv does it and I wonder how people can enjoy such a horrible effect. I know a large percentage of people just never notice it, but if I notice it then others must be able to see it!!!

I like the smoothness of it, but at the cost of artifacting... no thank you.
BigSwingingUdders
NOT JIZZLOBBER

GreyWizzard wrote:How do people stand this 100Htz stuff? All I do is watch the artifacting around moving objects. It drives me crazy. Every tv does it and I wonder how people can enjoy such a horrible effect. I know a large percentage of people just never notice it, but if I notice it then others must be able to see it!!!

I like the smoothness of it, but at the cost of artifacting... no thank you.
Are you referring to anti-judder features? They can introduce artifacting if the implementation is a POS.
DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

Candy, get a Panasonic Plasma and you won't have to worry about all the motion issues. I can't stand watching sport on an older LCD. Glorious on a Plasma (watch frequently on a Pioneer 50" and a Samsung 58"). Don't rule out Samsung also. On par with Panasonic, but with better glare protection.

Why pay top dollar for a TV that struggles its arse off to deal with a problem that another cheaper set doesn't have? Add better colours, black levels and no off-angle viewing bullshit and it's no contest. You're paying for all the inherent problems that they're ever so slowly working their way through. In a few years time it might be a different story but for now Plasma is the clear winner for large screen viewing.

End of story.
BigSwingingUdders
NOT JIZZLOBBER

I can't agree on color reproduction, LCD usually is brighter and more vibrant, plus good (but also expensive) LCD's can give you inky blacks provided you are lucky and don't get backlight bleed.

But yeah, cheaper Plasma will be the choice for the moment if you have zero intention of using it for PC desktop browsing.
Cardsy

Post by Cardsy »

That's coz it's not a Sony.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

DjBigK wrote:Candy, get a Panasonic Plasma and you won't have to worry about all the motion issues. I can't stand watching sport on an older LCD. Glorious on a Plasma (watch frequently on a Pioneer 50" and a Samsung 58"). Don't rule out Samsung also. On par with Panasonic, but with better glare protection.

Why pay top dollar for a TV that struggles its arse off to deal with a problem that another cheaper set doesn't have? Add better colours, black levels and no off-angle viewing bullshit and it's no contest. You're paying for all the inherent problems that they're ever so slowly working their way through. In a few years time it might be a different story but for now Plasma is the clear winner for large screen viewing.

End of story.
FACTUAL EVIDENCE!
Pariah
Street Fighter HD Remix Champ

Post by Pariah »

DJ nailed it...oh and the 100hz 200hz lcd bullshit sucks cock btw for fighters..so youll be throwing your money away...unless you dont mind missing your rog links because of it... :lol:

as for blacks..

and colour reproduction is fucking great once you calibrate your set...just go on avs forum and youll see people posting pics of their plasmas...and even pro reviews around the net that use the kuro range as the standard when it comes to hdtv flat panels...the pana samsung range is behind them but they still offer really amazing colour reproduction

:btw: samsung showed off their new plasma range..and panasonic have their super thin z1 plasma coming out too...but these will end up costing you.. :P
[img]http://i30.tinypic.com/5as8eq.gif[/img]
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Not going to get a Kuro, but Samsung v Panasonic in the PDP field - thoughts?

...I will go and read elsewhere too, but I value some opinions around here.
[IMG]http://gamercards.exophase.com/106445.png[/IMG]
Pariah

Post by Pariah »

i doubt youd find a brand new boxed kuro anyway...maybe display..they are getting very hard to find...though if you do pm me...i want to buy a 50" kuro...love watching the brothers 60" kuro when im over at his place..such an amazing set

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthre" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... st17248974

nuff said..anyone who thinks plasma has shit colours..

as for panasonic vs samsung...the panasonic v10 seems to be a good buy so does the samsung B850...though as dj said samsung has better glare protection...

also oh shit looks like the panasonic z1 is out??

http://panasonic.com.au/products/detail" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ectID=5193

nice... :)

take your best blurays down and the 360 and test both the plasmas out and get them to give you a fucking good price...
Cardsy

Post by Cardsy »

Candy, JB has these Kuro's going for $3650 plus delivery at the moment (I know for a fact the city store will include it for that price).

Not the LX but a nice panel all the same.

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/plasma-l" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... -tv/448821
cloud
Hard Cun...too much?
Hard Cun...too much?
XBL ID: ACE VENCLOUDY
PSN ID: ACEVENCLOUDY

Post by cloud »

Candy i got a 52" 100hz samsung from the Goodguys for $2500 with a 5yr warranty. A few of the boys on here have seen it in action goes great guns :D
Pariah

Post by Pariah »

the c509 is really fucking nice...

i tried looking into getting a 60 inch kuro...but the prices on them are going up again...brother paid $8000 in cash..when he got his earlier this year he waited like months for the new shipment from japan..huge price cut was due to him knowing the manager at hn plus the dude gave him a big discount on a really nice stand which is nice..now these things are going for $9000 +...no other store would discount to that much even with cash up front :lol:

whats the model no on that samsung??? wonder if its the ones using the cn panel..and not the s-pva
Cardsy

Post by Cardsy »

Yeah the pio clearance centre is doing the 60lx for $8999

http://www.pioneer.com.au/Products/Home" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... X609A.aspx
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Besides viewing blu ray content, make sure you test out how good SD content looks. Remember most content on TV is in SD.
HD generally looks good on any HDTV set, SD depends on how good your deinterlacer is.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Ohhh my god. Everyone seems to be giving away free shit. It's really tempting me.

Bravia - free PS3
Samsung - free 22" TV
Viera - free camera/HD home theater system/DVD recorder
Sharp - free xbox.

Sharp is the only one I can rule out. Probs rule out Bravia too.
Candy Arse wrote: XBONE 900p > PS4 1080p
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Re: Time for a new TV?

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Alright, it looks like I'm in the market for an additional flat panel.

What's the skinny on buying a TV these days?
It's going to be a 37-42" and my only expectations are 1080p, and a decent number of HDMI/Component inputs.
Don't care about 3D or any other trendy garbage. Maybe avi playback from USB, or even internet streaming might be nice, but don't really care.
Probably looking at $1000-$1200 I guess?

Is there anything else I should really be looking for?
What about brands? Who's good these days? Are Samsung still king?
What about these LG's with free Xbox 360's (I think they are only on big ones though?).

Are there any good websites I should be checking out? Smarthouse?
RIGHTEOUS FURY
t0mby
Cheats

Re: Time for a new TV?

Post by t0mby »

I got a Sony Bravia 40", can't remember the model but it's got 4 HDMI inputs which you can custom name (Rather than HDMI 1, HDMI 2 etc), a Network adaptor for updating firmware/streaming media, uses Sonys XMB (and the PS3 remote works with it) and all important 1080p. Picked it up in a mean sale in Dec last year for only $1200 (Reduced from $1700 for Xmas special) and works a dream.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.