Time for a new TV?

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Re: Time for a new TV?

Post by t0mby »

That reminds me of those posts about 1080p not being noticeable on certain sized tellies. Hoping the 8k will give the 4k a bot of a price drop.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Yeah, surely it's more to do with pixel density than straight out resolution.
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

Maybe nobody isn't seeing any difference cause there is no 8k material available
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Wonder if we'll have to go through the hdr stuff again. I had a 4k telly with hdr, wasn't impressed despite trying to fine tune the settings but I see some in the shop on display and they look sick as.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

I was about to pull the trigger on a new Panasonic OLED but then I see the GZ2000 coming out with HRD10+ and Dolby Vision I fell in love with that. So now I wait for it to come out and a sale because no doubt it's going to retail at like $7k or something huge. Was worried if I pulled the trigger on a current model if next gen gaming is all about DV then I'll be missing out, not sure it's a valid worry or if HDR is enough?
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
flipswitch
que
que

Time for a new TV?

Post by flipswitch »

What size where you after?

Hisense OLED is at $1495 until the 30th, if you’re looking for a budget OLED. All panels are made by LG Display.

Regarding the GZ000. I’m no expert, but I doubt you could tell the difference between DV and HDR at a store and could save quite a bit if you picked up this year’s model.

I am very satisfied with my FZ950 regarding image quality. My only beef is with the motion interpolation; it’s a bit judder every now and then. It’s called image frame creation or IFC on Panasonic. And regular FTA tv, such as SD low bitrate looks very poor, but I don’t watch FTA.

Panasonic is known to have great HDR tone mapping btw.

Just trying to save you some money, however you could wait months until the GZ000 gets a price drop because they will retail for a lot.

Keep an eye out on http://ozbargain.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

One bonus on waiting for the GZ is you will have the latest 2019 panel, which is sure to be better in brightness.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

I need something around 65-75 as we're looking at mounting it on the wall above the fireplace, stop greasy little hands getting on it. The space is 105cm high but if I include the stand then the stand can't be any more than 25cm deep. If it's purely mounted on the wall then I have to enter the chimney cavity from the loft and fit some brackets as there's no studs. Fucken nightmare. As it is, our 55 is wall mounted in front of the fireplace, drilled into the brick, but it's too low.
Last edited by t0mby on 25 Apr 2019 04:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Nah not interested in any cheap ones. Panasonic because of the THX certification etc so yeah you got a good one! I was looking at the 65inch FZ1000 as integrated soundbar with one controller seems best bet with the kids always disappearing controllers and what not.

Was more worried about gaming with DV and HDR10+ like am I going to miss out on the next gen of gaming looking sweet or yeah is it all just marketing? I'm assuming it's going to end up with standard HDR being the only thing anyone wonders about. Also am keeping an eye out on Panasonic to see if they'll do a firmware upgrade and give all 2018 models DV. I notice they won't do that for the 2017 ones, I do really like the EZ1000U too but they've been promising the HDR10+ update for that for yonks and it's still not in although they did do all the 2018 ones pretty quick.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Tomby what about one of those LG wallpaper TVs?
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Ooooh, just Googled that, not bad, little bit on the high side of our budget but definitely a contender imo. The missus takes some convincing though, her last telly was a $500 55 Veon telly which is ok for the price, but it's running an OS that Sony had back in 2008, ie, shite. Will wait till July sale and see how much it is.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Upscaling here I come!
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Ended up getting a Toshiba 65 inch model U9850 for $1299UnZud. Has 4k and says it has HDR but for the life of me I cannot find an HDR setting on the telly, not even mentioned in the instructions. The PS4 is set to 4k and it says HDR is available but how the fuck do I turn it on.

Still, picture is really nice, the difference from our budget no name brand 55 inch going to this Toshiba is like night and day. Been playing RDR2 and it looks amazing.
flipswitch
que
que

Time for a new TV?

Post by flipswitch »

t0mby wrote:Ended up getting a Toshiba 65 inch model U9850 for $1299UnZud. Has 4k and says it has HDR but for the life of me I cannot find an HDR setting on the telly, not even mentioned in the instructions. The PS4 is set to 4k and it says HDR is available but how the fuck do I turn it on.

Still, picture is really nice, the difference from our budget no name brand 55 inch going to this Toshiba is like night and day. Been playing RDR2 and it looks amazing.
Here’s the manual.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2149/ ... lish.pdf?1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What does the PS4 say. Is it HDR available or on? If so, once you play a game which supports HDR, such as Spider-Man, Horizon , etc, it should be enabled automatically.

RDR2 supports HDR but it’s kind of broken in a way and probably not a good representation of it.

https://www.androidcentral.com/how-enab ... vs#Toshiba" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Thanks for that, that's the same manual that came with the telly, doesn't mention how to turn it on at all, only that there's two menus for options depending if you're in the Home or wathhing via an input (DTV, Hdmi, Netflix etc)

Also, PS4 is just set to Automatic for everything.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Have you played a HDR game yet like the ones I mentioned?

Once you do and while playing, go into the picture settings and see if anything has changed like HDR has been enabled.
Your tv should detect HDR content when playing HDR.
I will try it on my PS4 which I haven’t got connected to my 4K tv at the moment and I will report back if mine says the same thing as your screenshot.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

I'll try Spiderman now, just weird there's no setting, not even on Live TV, whichy previous HDR set had a manual button. I'll report back shortly.

*edit*
Yeah, Spiderman I can turn it on or off but there's still zero options changed in the menu, same as before. Looks good, not sure how much better it could look but I'll do some research on hdr settings if I have time. I looked once ages ago but my telly then did a pretty shot job of hdr, still, was early days then as it was a 2015 model telly.

Thanks Flip.
flipswitch
que
que

Time for a new TV?

Post by flipswitch »

t0mby wrote:I'll try Spiderman now, just weird there's no setting, not even on Live TV, whichy previous HDR set had a manual button. I'll report back shortly.

*edit*
Yeah, Spiderman I can turn it on or off but there's still zero options changed in the menu, same as before. Looks good, not sure how much better it could look but I'll do some research on hdr settings if I have time. I looked once ages ago but my telly then did a pretty shot job of hdr, still, was early days then as it was a 2015 model telly.
ImageImage
Thanks Flip.

First screen shows video options, I don’t have a PS4 Pro so outputted to 1080p.

Second screen shows the PS4 OS and my picture settings( No HDR is available in the OS)

Third screen shows how it detected HDR from RDR2 and you can see, picture settings have changed and shows HDR.

That’s how my tv works.

tapatalk screwed up the image order.

RDR2 didn’t look much different in HDR, but GT:S was incredible.
Last edited by flipswitch on 15 Aug 2019 04:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Yeah I get nothing like that, not even any notification on my telly that its in HDR, but that said the image looks miles better than my old Sony 55c 4k. For the $$$ this Toshiba is pretty impressive.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Yeah some tvs work differently so it’s hard to know but at least you’re pleased with the picture which is the main thing.

I think I’m going to buy a PS4 a Pro now after trying the regular PS4 on my 4K TV. Lol.

The only thing I’m not looking forward to do is transferring all that data over.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

flipswitch wrote:
The only thing I’m not looking forward to do is transferring all that data over.
Doesn't take long at all. I got my Pro from EB and they let me take it home, transfer my stuff then bring in the Povo version for the trade in price. I just wish I had put in a bigger hdd when I first got it, but as it stands my external 1gb and Pro 1gb have seen me right. I got all retail games installed (except Doom cos that's 100+gb of wasted space) dating all the way back to MGS Ground Zeroes, Alien Isolation and Driveclub.

*edit*
Did a rough count, since they're all in custom folders it goes about 30 Disc games, a dozen or so Downloaded and about 10 PSVR games.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Seeking a new mid-range $2k-ish 65" TV eg: Sony X8500G. Any insights welcome. We've been in our new house for a couple of years now and haven't yet got around to installing decent sound in the living area, so will take the opportunity to grab what will likely be a Sonos Beam soundbar and a couple of Sonos One SL for surround. Sonos supports Google Assistant and Apple Airplay, both used in our house.

Will get it all professionally mounted for aethetics and to limit the damage from our 5 and 2 year old. When planning for kids I totally underestimated the degree to which kids wreck your house and possessions. It's my top advice to anyone asking whether it's worth taking the parent plunge. It totally is and I can't imagine life without mine but the house-proud need to know their age of pristine white walls and stain free furniture will end.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

I "upgraded" from my previous 55" Samsung to a 75" Samsung in January.
Great TV and all, but something to be cautious of now....it doesn't natively support DivX codecs. I wonder how many other new "smart" TV's are doing this?
I used to like the convenience of just plugging in that golden HD full of all the greatest films ever made.
Now it's more fucking around through Plex/Chromecast and the like.
GG Samsung...
flipswitch
que
que

Time for a new TV?

Post by flipswitch »

The Sony 8500G uses an IPS panel which has weaker contrast, so you won’t get deep blacks and more like greys ,especially noticeable at night.

For around 2k, or just slightly more, the Samsung 65 inch Q75R would be much better. Reviewing very well.

Good for movies with great blacks and low input lag. gaming.

https://www.harveynorman.com.au/samsung ... lsrc=aw.ds" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If that’s out of your reach I can find your a similar model but slightly cheaper. The model down the Q60R.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Time for a new TV?

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Thanks flip. Will add that one to the list. IPS has its advantages for us given the set will be wall-mounted and will at times be viewed at angles. Android vs Vizen a consideration too. The Samsung much better for gaming though. Will have fun getting in front of them to glean first hand.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Twiztid Elf wrote:I "upgraded" from my previous 55" Samsung to a 75" Samsung in January.
Great TV and all, but something to be cautious of now....it doesn't natively support DivX codecs. I wonder how many other new "smart" TV's are doing this?
I used to like the convenience of just plugging in that golden HD full of all the greatest films ever made.
Now it's more fucking around through Plex/Chromecast and the like.
GG Samsung...
What about Kodi, have you tried that?