Time for a new TV?

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Re: Time for a new TV?

Post by t0mby »

AgOnNy wrote:
t0mby wrote:I can't remember not having a TV in the bedroom, had one for the last 24yrs.
Doesn't count if your bedroom is your loungeroom as well! :P
HAHA, Burn!

Oh wait.....
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Ches

Post by Ches »

I bought a Sony KDL50W800B today, $1400 at Costco. Very happy so far! Much nicer than my *old* 46" Bravia.

The Smart TV stuff is interesting, but it does nothing that the Raspberry Pi or Chromecast can't do better. Might be worthwhile if you want to play stuff off USB, as it seems to play pretty much anything, including 3D DTS 1080p mkvs.

Screen mirroring from my android phone is cool, but pretty pointless.

The best new feature is that it can control XBMC on the R-Pi over HDMI with the standard Sony remote, very handy.

Up until yesterday i was going to go with the 60" Panny ST60, much larger and supposedly better picture quality, but after spending some time with it in JB and seeing the usual plasma 'dithering' and the burn in from the input select menu(!) i decided to stick with LCD. A quick google reveals a shit-ton of people having massive burn in issues with the ST60s. WTF? I though those issues were resolved ages ago.

Anyway, would recommend if you're in the market, particularly if you're a Costco member. JB sticker price is ~$1600, though probably comparable if you haggle.

Edit: 50", not 55".
Last edited by Ches on 01 Apr 2014 07:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Nice. They're the new 2014 models, but on Sony's website it says 'coming soon', maybe they need to update their site.
I think they have super low input lag, might want to hook up a gaming device and try it out, but don't forget to choose game mode.
Ches

Post by Ches »

Err, whoops, my bad, i actually got the 50" and somehow managed to type 55 above. The 55" is still coming soon, i think. May or June from what i've read. I'd have preferred the 55, but the old Bravia was starting to fail and i didn't want to wait for it to die completely.

The 50 gets a glowing review at the AVS Forums anyway, and it's big enough.

http://www.avforums.com/review/sony-w8- ... view.10178" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They use a different model name in the UK apparently, but it's the same TV.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

No burn in with my 60" ST60. Don't think I have even seen any image retention.

I am no stranger to owning a plasma though and I ran it in properly with slides.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Ches wrote:Err, whoops, my bad, i actually got the 50" and somehow managed to type 55 above. The 55" is still coming soon, i think. May or June from what i've read. I'd have preferred the 55, but the old Bravia was starting to fail and i didn't want to wait for it to die completely.

The 50 gets a glowing review at the AVS Forums anyway, and it's big enough.

http://www.avforums.com/review/sony-w8- ... view.10178" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They use a different model name in the UK apparently, but it's the same TV.
Here's another review from HDTVtest. (uk site) which I frequently visit.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/kdl50w82 ... 023650.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tempted to pick one up myself. It's amazing how low the power consumption is on the latest sets, even on plasma we've seen a significant drop.
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

General Chaos wrote:No burn in with my 60" ST60. Don't think I have even seen any image retention.

I am no stranger to owning a plasma though and I ran it in properly with slides.
I've got none on my 46" GT30 either. Probably from having the THX setting on which disables the pixel orbiter.

Wish I had the cash to pick up a ST60 :(
Ches

Post by Ches »

Interesting. Might be a settings thing then? Or incorrect 'run-in'? Are they more susceptible to burn-in during an initial period or something?

Anyway, i'm happy with my purchase, and a bit relieved that i didn't go the ST60. I'd have ended up with burn in somehow and it would have pissed me off constantly.

Now i just need to suss out the best settings, she's a bit more complex than my 2008-era Bravia...
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Might just be image retention, which I get but it doesn't last long.

Anyway it's not like you bought a bad set or anything, enjoy it!
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Soap Opera Effect.

I've only just read about it now but have been noticing the issue on different tv's for nearly ten years. Tonight was the last straw for me. Watched GoT on the new 65" UHD last week and it looked like it was shot in Neighbours vision. Like I've said, I've been noticing it from time to time all over the place and I'd ask people "does the picture look odd to you? It looks like Neighbours to me?" Every time I'd get a "no, the picture looks fine" from anyone I'd ask. Again, go to watch GoT with Nicole and it just looks cheap. I said to Nicole that I doubt I'll be able to watch certain things on this tv. But I just asked google if anyone else notices the same thing and sure enough it's a thing. A real thing. The soap opera effect. I see it. When it's there it's all I notice. If you see it you will know what I mean. Movies look exactly like Neighbours. And I haven't seen an episode of Neighbours since the Timmins came to Ramsay St. Maybe Neighbours is like movie quality nowadays and I'm just confusing people.

Anyway with some panels you can dial it back and make things look like your brain wants to see them.
MiNiStRy
Occasionally Overlooks Gravity.
XBL ID: MiNiStRyS
PSN ID: MiNiStRy
Steam ID: MiNiStRyS

Post by MiNiStRy »

Stick it in movie mode to get rid of that awful effect.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

It's been driving me mad for years...

For Samsung you can hit the Motion Plus menu to really dial it out. But I agree with you, going to Movie is also a great help. I just tried a few combinations and settled on Movie and the motion plus menu in Clear. It might change yet.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

I picked up the Sony KDL-70W850B yesterday. 70 inches of :shock:

http://www.sony.com.au/product/kdl-70w850b

Ignore the price on that page, I paid less than $3k from The Good Guys. Will be delivered tomorrow. My wife will be at home but for me it will be the longest day at work ever :( I've never owned a big screen TV before, I'm currently testing the HTPC I picked up yesterday to go with the new Sony on our 22-inch bedroom TV :run:

Incidentally the HTPC runs like a dream. I have everything (Live TV, video and music streaming, etc) running via XBMC. The HTPC is connected to a 4TB WD My Cloud on the home network :) One of the main complaints I've read about this TV is how Sony-centric the Smart TV features are, won't be an issue for me with XBMC running the show :)

Can't wait to test out Steam home streaming too :D And ye olde Xbox 360 will get a good run too :D
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Do you get a free PS4 with it as well? Take pics!
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

What htpc did you get, Ambrose?
Ambrose Burnside

No PS4.

For the HTPC I ordered it through PLE Computers, a small chain here in Perth that have been around for years. 20 of them in fact. I told them the type of PC I wanted, they came back to me with a quote, I researched each component they chose, I saw things like "perfect HTPC case/video card/whatever" in every review I read and put down my money :lol:

The case is the Antec NSK2480B:

It fits nicely into my TV cabinet :)

120GB solid state drive. Didn't need any bigger 'cos all my media is stored on the My Cloud. It has dedicated graphics and sound cards which is *probably* overkill (although cheap, the HD5450 and Sound Blaster Z) but better to be safe than sorry and they're both passively cooled. The machine is as quiet as a mouse. The only moving part is the Blu-ray burner (until now I've had no way to rip Blu-rays).

I use this to control it :)
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

Cletus - That MotionFlow/Image Smoothing feature has always pissed me JB or any other tech store. It pisses me off when I go to other people's homes and see that they haven't disabled it and don't notice it. I feel like people are crazy for not noticing it. It's super jarring.
mxlegend99
I don't watch Rugby League
I don't watch Rugby League
XBL ID: mxlegend

Post by mxlegend99 »

Those keyboards are great for HTPCs. I've got one on both of my HTPC's and a spare for hooking up to my Smart TV, consoles etc. for when I need to type on them.

If you use your HTPC for a bit of web browsing, downloading, cutting/pasting files etc. I would recommend finding a nice Logitech mouse that can be paired with the same unifying receiver. You don't need to use the mouse when you have the trackpad, but it makes many things a lot easier. But my HTPC is also my server and where I do all my downloads, sort out of media etc.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Bought a sony w700b a few weeks back because of the input lag which is between 14-15 milliseconds. I've noticed a big improvement in games such as watch dogs, all cars are now driveable. Can't get my HTC One (m7) to work using miracast, comes up as an error when it tries to connect, but it does detect the phone.
Ambrose Burnside

No pics yet cos I'm still setting it all up ... And I need a new TV cabinet cos not everything fits (consoles on the floor :( ) ... but it's coming together nicely. Set up the 5.1 surround sound system on the weekend :D Saving Private Ryan's beach landing scene :shock:

And I tested Steam streaming. Age of Empires 2 HD Edition on a 70 inch TV just cos I could :D Just ordered the wireless adaptor too so I can use my 360 controllers on PC.
edgecrusher
BLUE!...YOUR MY BOY BLUE!!
PSN ID: edgecrush33

Post by edgecrusher »

Ambrose Burnside wrote:No pics yet cos I'm still setting it all up ... And I need a new TV cabinet cos not everything fits (consoles on the floor :( ) ... but it's coming together nicely. Set up the 5.1 surround sound system on the weekend :D Saving Private Ryan's beach landing scene :shock:

And I tested Steam streaming. Age of Empires 2 HD Edition on a 70 inch TV just cos I could :D Just ordered the wireless adaptor too so I can use my 360 controllers on PC.
Check out the link, this is a cabinet I'm gonna get for my bits and pieces, there is nothing out there I've found that will hold consoles, amp, blu-ray player and shit like that.

http://www.wayfair.com.au/By-Designs-Mo ... F1258.html
Everybody be cool.....You be cool
MiNiStRy
Occasionally Overlooks Gravity.
XBL ID: MiNiStRyS
PSN ID: MiNiStRy
Steam ID: MiNiStRyS

Post by MiNiStRy »

Check out selby for all that gear I bought my rack there a few years back for around $150 it's very well built and sturdy too.

http://www.selby.com.au/stands-racks/hi ... 104bb.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ambrose Burnside

Excellent idea guys. Something like that will be perfect :up:
edgecrusher
BLUE!...YOUR MY BOY BLUE!!
PSN ID: edgecrush33

Post by edgecrusher »

Bought a Samsung 55" UA55H7000AW last week. Got it for $1695 and got will be getting a $200 prepaid card as well. Bargain. Had a Sony 40" 1080p thats about 6 yrs old now and thought it was time to upgrade. Havent had a lot of time to play with the settings or anything but I'm very impressed so far. I think I'll watch Dredd in 3D tonight :up:
Everybody be cool.....You be cool
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

My next tv will be OLED.

Check out the review https://www.avforums.com/review/lg-ea98 ... eview.9969" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and now look at the black levels.

:nana: