Time for a new TV?

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Kangawallaby
Netballer
XBL ID: Kangawallaby
PSN ID: Kangawallaby
Steam ID: Kangawallaby

Re: Time for a new TV?

Post by Kangawallaby »

If your that keen Ministry I can give you a copy of my recipt.
2nd place is the first loser....

Mavy
XBL ID: Mavy
PSN ID: iwantalogin

Post by Mavy »

HN are all different. Cheapest sticker price for my TV (PS59D8000) was $1899 which was what got me interested in the first place.

Was in another HN where their price was $2300 and told of them of the other store's price. I was simply told I was wrong.

Ended up finding a receipt posted by someone on Whirlpool who got the TV, Extra glasses, and 3 year warranty for $1950. My local store matched it and didn't even ask to see the receipt.

Hey Gerry, it's not the GST people are trying to avoid!
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Just throwing this out there - so glad I went with a passive 3DTV.
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA
XBL ID: Shaneus
PSN ID: Shaneus2k2
Steam ID: Shaneus2k2

Post by Shaneus »

What's yours, Candy?
Misly
Blackened is the end
XBL ID: Misly

Post by Misly »

I followed that panasonic telly link, then googled searching for the response time and couldn't find it. One major importance to me is response time. My computer monitor (W2353V) has 2ms response time and I dont want a new telly with more than 2ms response time. However unlike computer monitor manufacturers, telly manufacturer hardly ever lists response time in their telly specs.
:rock:
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA

Post by Shaneus »

I'm noticing that I'm quite sensitive to the flicker that tends to happen with panning on plasmas... or at least, with me. It may be just the 24hz refresh rate that it happens (haven't noticed when exactly, just been watching a lot of movies with my WDTV Live 2 with the auto display setting). Also need to find out how to get the newer firmware with the brightness fix applied. Was shocked to see that the build date of my TV was April last year, meaning it's amongst the first ones of this model to be made!
Last edited by Shaneus on 15 Jan 2012 05:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Shaneus wrote:What's yours, Candy?
47 inch LG.
Pariah
Street Fighter HD Remix Champ

Post by Pariah »

Misly wrote:I followed that panasonic telly link, then googled searching for the response time and couldn't find it. One major importance to me is response time. My computer monitor (W2353V) has 2ms response time and I dont want a new telly with more than 2ms response time. However unlike computer monitor manufacturers, telly manufacturer hardly ever lists response time in their telly specs.
The response time of plasma tech is faster than LCD...that is why it handles motion much much better

also response time is not equal to input delay...where these silly response time specs these manufacturers market does not count for shit...funny enough most of Panasonics plasmas have really low input delay..so for fighting games that require 1 frame links and such they are usable
I'm noticing that I'm quite sensitive to the flicker that tends to happen with panning on plasmas... or at least, with me. It may be just the 24hz refresh rate that it happens (haven't noticed when exactly, just been watching a lot of movies with my WDTV Live 2 with the auto display setting). Also need to find out how to get the newer firmware with the brightness fix applied. Was shocked to see that the build date of my TV was April last year, meaning it's amongst the first ones of this model to be made!
Does the TV say it has switched to 24Hz when you are watching a movie??

most tvs these days use a multiple of 24Hz (48Hz 96Hz etc etc) to display full 1080 24p films and eliminate judder. depending on what panasonic model you got...you might need to enable this feature..or if its one of last years models it might be only doing it at 48Hz which some people are still sensitive to flicker...96Hz pretty much even the sensitive people dont have problems (still check through menus for the feature...might be named intiligent frame creation or other such shit..dont worry it is not the "soap opera effect" you get with some of the modes on LCD set)

i frankly love 24Hz mode on my pana and have my HTPC to switch to 1080 24p (23.976) whenever the content has it flagged be it movies or tv shows... :up:
[img]http://i30.tinypic.com/5as8eq.gif[/img]
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA

Post by Shaneus »

Pariah wrote:
Does the TV say it has switched to 24Hz when you are watching a movie??

most tvs these days use a multiple of 24Hz (48Hz 96Hz etc etc) to display full 1080 24p films and eliminate judder. depending on what panasonic model you got...you might need to enable this feature..or if its one of last years models it might be only doing it at 48Hz which some people are still sensitive to flicker...96Hz pretty much even the sensitive people dont have problems (still check through menus for the feature...might be named intiligent frame creation or other such shit..dont worry it is not the "soap opera effect" you get with some of the modes on LCD set)

i frankly love 24Hz mode on my pana and have my HTPC to switch to 1080 24p (23.976) whenever the content has it flagged be it movies or tv shows... :up:
Yeah, it switches to 24Hz but the only option as far as the refresh rate went (that I could tell) was interpolation/smoothing. But I'll have a bit of a google around because I'm sure it has 48Hz mode (at least), just not sure where to enable it... I just never knew exactly what 48Hz was :lol:
Misly
Blackened is the end

Post by Misly »

Searching for a new telly is more daunting than I would have thought. While I am HD'ing all my PC's and Consoles, the trusty old CRT still holds the throne in the Lounge room. Ha!

Anyway the missus and I agreed to finally get new telly.

Budget = 1500 - 2000
Will use for streaming media from PC over Wifi (SD and HD content), free to air, console gaming and blue ray
Lounge room is long, but thin and the TV will be opposite the seating at the thin bit (3-4 meters) so I am thinking 42 inch
Dunno about input lag

Was internet-checking-out these LG Smart TV's that have easy WiFi streaming over inbuilt plex media streaming. Also has android app for remote control over WiFi. Thinking of an LG 42LW650.

Will buy this weekend if I can decide. I cant decide. HELP!!!

Usually this shit is fun...
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

3-4 mtrs. = no fucking way to 42". 50" is cheap enough these days and will seem big at that distance but you will soon get used to it and then start thinking about something even bigger.

Just my 2c having a 50" at that kind of distance for a few years.
MiNiStRy
Occasionally Overlooks Gravity.
XBL ID: MiNiStRyS
PSN ID: MiNiStRy
Steam ID: MiNiStRyS

Post by MiNiStRy »

50-55" minimum for that viewing distance may i suggest maybe. http://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-lcd-led-pla ... sku-68524/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Not sure if its wifi but you can pick up a dongle for under $100 on ebay or from a store.
Misly
Blackened is the end

Post by Misly »

Thanks for the suggestions.

Just physically measured distance from couch to current telly. My 3-4 meter guess was poor. Just short of 3 meters.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Still 50-55 go the 55!
Pariah

Post by Pariah »

LG have some of the worst input lag in HDTV market today so they are terrible for gaming...also the black levels on the model you posted are super meh worthy

you should be able to pickup a 60 inch Pansonic ST30 Plasma for under 1,700 price range...the panels are the same as their higher end vt range and you can purchase the wifi panasonic thing for like $99...

honestly 60 inches might sound "huge" but it would be fucking perfect for your viewing distance. 2.5meters is recommend SMPTE viewing distance for a tv that size...so under 3 meters falls in around THX recommendation

overview http://www.panasonic.com.au/Products/VI ... A/Overview" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

proof it can be had for under 1,700

http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/710 ... 101479.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i never get extended warranty honestly these panas are made so well...though its up to you if you want it

once you go 60 inch tv youll never go back to anything less... :up:
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

The input lag on the LGs only become really apparent when playing fighting games. No doubt FPS would be an issue too but no one gives a fuck about FPS games anymore.
Pariah

Post by Pariah »

Candy Arse wrote:The input lag on the LGs only become really apparent when playing fighting games. No doubt FPS would be an issue too but no one gives a fuck about FPS games anymore.
it becomes apparent in any game...unless you have only ever played on laggy tvs all your life...which we know is not the case with him since he played on crt. hell when i went to a friends and tried out skyrim (x360...hurt my eyes how bad it looked vs PC ver) on his "high end" 55" L6500 i noticed the input lag straight away and was like...umm you sure you got this in game mode and he said yes...far be it from me to tell him shitty the input lag was on his tv...but his kd/r in bf3 is shit house too a lot probably has to do with his tv because he was not as bad as this back in BF2 days...

end of the day it makes no sense what so ever to buy that LG over Pana...since the pana clearly is within his budget

the LG is

- Smaller tv

- Edge Lit LED which means clouding and backlight bleed

- shit input lag (30-50ms going by most reports on avs and the like..)

- average black level compared to even other LCDs (gets destroyed by the 60 inch Pana)

- 3D res is worse than the pana...and the pana has much much better viewing angles in 3D / 2D..and no vert viewing angle problem like the LG has

- much worse motion res vs the pana (resolves all 1080 lines)
Misly
Blackened is the end

Post by Misly »

Yeah, LG's not the favorite anymore. Initially I was thinking LG because I bought two of these (LG W2353V) a few years back, and they have been great monitors for PC and Xbox.

I am leaning towards the 50 inch Panasonic (GT30). Just concerned about not being passive (3D isn't that important to me, so I'd rather passive and cheap light glasses that don't take battery's) Also worried about fan noise, buzzing noise (a thread at whirlpool with so many VT30 owners reporting buzzing on multiple sets and even replacement sets...) and the flicker during panning that Shaneus mentioned.

I am off to go visit some shops with a list of models (and prices) to look at. I may not buy today and just investigate. Then again I may bite the bullet... Thanks and wish me luck!
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

Mavy wrote:Was in another HN where their price was $2300 and told of them of the other store's price. I was simply told I was wrong.

Hey Gerry, it's not the GST people are trying to avoid!
HN staff are award + commission last time I checked and I'm pretty sure it's pretty stingy (10% gross). Encourages them to lie and sell at full price not haggle. But it's really getting adversarial out there since people don't build profit for the stores into their offers these days.
Misly
Blackened is the end

Post by Misly »

Well I went out today and purchased a Panasonic 46GT30A. I absolutely love it. It is a lot bigger than the old 68 lol. The size in this small lounge freaks out the missus and I only have 1/2 a centimeter free both sides of the telly (furniture and sound system).

Went from shop to shop and only Bing Lee had it. I payed $930 for the telly. I got $170 dollars off the marked price ($1100) thanks to a spreadsheet maintained at Whirlpool with reciepts that show what people have managed to negotiate down to. HERE

I got 2 x pair of 3d glasses for $80 each. They have $169 price tags on the packet! The cheapest I found them elsewhere was HN for $150 each!!

Thanks for the advise! :up: :nana:

I got all this HD and 3D content I am looking forward to trying out on it, but blazing saddles is on...
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent
XBL ID: Twit AU
PSN ID: KAKwit
Steam ID: KAKwit

Post by Twit »

God damnit! My 40” Samsung Series 6 TV appears to be fucked. It started doing something strange when starting up the other day. It would play the startup sound, sit there for awhile with a black screen, then play the startup sound again, and then eventually get going. That appeared to get progressively worse until now it just sits there and the red light will occasionally blink away like it’s starting up and shutting down continuously or something.

I don’t suppose anyone might have an idea of what the problem might be?

Dunno what I can do about it. I seem to have fucked luck with LCD TVs. This is the second one I’ve had that appears to be borked well before I was ready to replace it. Fucking fuck fucken cunt fuck mittens.

Edit - doing a bit of research I’m thinking it will be a bad capacitor. For fuck sake, are we still not beyond using shoddy fucken capacitors after the billions of fucking problems that’s caused? Fuck.
Cardsy

Post by Cardsy »

Twit wrote: For fuck sake, are we still not beyond using shoddy fucken capacitors after the billions of fucking problems that’s caused? Fuck.
Not at Samsung! Plenty of unhappy customers on Dtvforum.

Maybe get a Panny plasma?

Did you get an extended warranty at least?
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

I came across this thread where plenty of people seemed to have the same issue. It seemed that what would happen is they would ask the customer to pay for a technician to come around and look, but if the problem was dodgy capacitors then Samsung would cover the costs.

So I rang Samsung support and explained the situation and said - if you send a technician around then I’ll pay for it, but if the problem turns out to be dodgy capacitors then I want an assurance that the costs of repair will be covered. He said Samsung products don’t contain dodgy components and he couldn’t give that guarantee. I asked if he could escalate the issue so I could know up front whether or not they would cover dodgy capacitors, and he said he can’t escalate something until a technician had been out. Catch 22.

I think a Panny Plasma sounds like a good idea, but then what the fuck do I do with this cunt piece of shit now? To reiterate, fucking fuck fuck cunt fuck fuck. Cunt. Fuck.
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

Also - what Panny Plasma should I get? I don’t need anything too big, so maybe this one?
http://panasonic.com.au/Products/VIErA+ ... A/Overview" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Here you go twit

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-lcd-led-pla ... sku-68525/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's a good price