Time for a new TV?

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Re: Time for a new TV?

Post by unfnknblvbl »

errrrr..... I'm not sure of that logic. PAL games consoles natively support 60Hz output nowadays
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

The 50htz Sony tv Seraph linked to supports 60htz and 24p. It just doesn't have 100htz motion stuff which increases input lag and audio hdmi lag.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

I finally got to see a hisense in action. Nice picture but the 100htz models are locked at 100htz, there is no option to turn the processing off. I then saw their new 50htz tv and it seemed to outperforming their top of the range everything model. No juddering of images... Just smooth. So I guess it was running at the native res and htz of the bluray playing.

I looked at the lg that was going cheap over the weekend at jb and good guys, it looked identical to the one in my living room except with a silver frame instead of black. If I had of bought it, it would have just replaced the living room tv and the living room tv would go in my room. So it meant I wasn't buying what I wanted.

I might look further into featureless 50htz tv's. That might be what I really want.

Also the dude at good guys was pretty awesome. We grabbed the remotes for the tv's I was looking at and had a good play around. He also brought up guitar hero when talking about input lag.
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

SO I got given a 42" Bravia for my birthday. There goes the "thesis motivation" plan, but hey, awesome. Perfect size for the room, picture is plenty good, and once I worked out how to turn off motion flow, very cool. I've even played some 3D PS3, I doubt I'll use that much but hey.

The problem is that streaming on the thing is a bit shit. From a Plex server I've got running, not everything will work. And, from PS3 media server, it takes a while to start streaming, and sometimes doesn't work. Playing youtube videos takes a while to start, and sometimes craps out halfway.

Does anyone have any solutions or hints for getting it working properly to stream video? I know it CAN, because we've been watching Dick on Crackle in at least 720 streamed. And it looks amazing! But it'd be nice to not resort to just using the PS3 like we were anyway.
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Happy birthday Mr Selfish. :dblthumbs:

(Sorry can't help you on your streaming woes)
Seraph
The only seraph on the internet.
XBL ID: Seraphcon V

Post by Seraph »

Just get a Raspberry Pi or something similar. Should be able to get XBMC running off it pretty easy.

Edit: oh you want to stream stuff? Pfft no idea.
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

Cheeers! Managed to get it working mostly, needed to get a profile for the TV so Plex knew what was going on. Now it mostly works...hooray!
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

So I'm pretty dumb.
Last night the lounge tv wasn't working and after numerous "tests" I concluded that our three year old tv had blown up. Now I'm pretty sure under Aus consumer law that one can expect a 1000 dollar tv to work for longer than 3 years. But chasing that down and getting it fixed while being without a lounge room tv is not ideal when Nicole spends a lot of time in there now since we've had Tobias. So off to The Good Guys we went today...negotiated a tv to be delivered tomorrow and settled on the Samsung UA65F9000AM $4550 delivered. I do not know how I am getting this thing out of the box, let alone onto the tv cabinet.

Then I decided to give the "blown up" tv one more try and noticed that when I turned on the speakers to the tv last night I didn't realise at the time that I must have bumped the power button on the side of the tv. So there's nothing wrong with it. At all. And we've paid for the UHD LED 65" already. We've decided to go with it and use the "old" tv as my PC monitor. The new tv is a huge upgrade...but completely unnecessary.

So when you think you've done a stupid thing, smile knowing I exist.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

If the tv is fully boxed and you explain your situation to them, I see no reason why that wouldn't give you your money back.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Yeah. We did discuss (Nicole and I). She wanted a bigger tv anyway. Even had me looking into them recently but we decided to wait until the end of the year. I'd planned on somewhere around 80" but they are quite expensive. We assume we can still cancel the deal but decided to go ahead. The price is good and that price is with an extra 3 year warranty. One more fuck up like this and Tobias will end up going to state school though so it better be the last. ;)
Lepo5
Kyber Felted
Kyber Felted

Post by Lepo5 »

Cletus wrote:So I'm pretty dumb.
Last night the lounge tv wasn't working and after numerous "tests" I concluded that our three year old tv had blown up. Now I'm pretty sure under Aus consumer law that one can expect a 1000 dollar tv to work for longer than 3 years. But chasing that down and getting it fixed while being without a lounge room tv is not ideal when Nicole spends a lot of time in there now since we've had Tobias. So off to The Good Guys we went today...negotiated a tv to be delivered tomorrow and settled on the Samsung UA65F9000AM $4550 delivered. I do not know how I am getting this thing out of the box, let alone onto the tv cabinet.

Then I decided to give the "blown up" tv one more try and noticed that when I turned on the speakers to the tv last night I didn't realise at the time that I must have bumped the power button on the side of the tv. So there's nothing wrong with it. At all. And we've paid for the UHD LED 65" already. We've decided to go with it and use the "old" tv as my PC monitor. The new tv is a huge upgrade...but completely unnecessary.

So when you think you've done a stupid thing, smile knowing I exist.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :up:
Candy Arse wrote:
Lepo the Legend gave me his pair for free.
MiNiStRy
Occasionally Overlooks Gravity.
XBL ID: MiNiStRyS
PSN ID: MiNiStRy
Steam ID: MiNiStRyS

Post by MiNiStRy »

Hmm I wish you had spoken to me first I could of sourced that tv for cheaper. Nice set though enjoy.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

We got the set for $4100. The rest was extended warranty (thinking we needed it because our newish tv had blown up) and delivery. I might get the money back on the warranty though. Clearly nobody needs it.
MiNiStRy

Post by MiNiStRy »

Ahh good price then. Yeah fuck off that extended warranty it not worth it. I still have the old 60" lg plasma in the kids room and it's running fine and my 64" Sammy of nearly 3yrs hasn't missed a beat. I have plenty of 3d movies for you to look at so let me know what your after I pretty much get all new releases.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Give him Dredd to watch in 3D. :akimbo:
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
MiNiStRy

Post by MiNiStRy »

Yeah the slo mo effects in that are awesome.
Lepo5
Kyber Felted
Kyber Felted

Post by Lepo5 »

I'd be keeping that warranty.

I had 2 Panasonics go on me just after the warranty expired.
Candy Arse wrote:
Lepo the Legend gave me his pair for free.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Yeah we did..neither of us remembered to make the call this morning before it was delivered so four year warranty on it.

And I 've set it up. What a difference it is to the 46" Sanyo that was there before (you know, the one that blew up :roll: ).

Built in Skype camera and motion control - I had a look at the Skype and I have to say, the Xbox One with Kinect Skype wins hands down. Xbone Skype is the future of Skype. Nevertheless, it's pretty good. After that though, it's not really any different to the two 40" Samsung LED LCD 3D Smart TV's I got last year. At least now I have 6 pairs of 3D glasses to pair to the set if we have a few people over at once and we're watching something in 3D. Can't see it happening though.

Not sure I want to make the 46" screen my pc screen though...too big.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Yeah this isn't going to work...[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1396158963322.jpg[/attachment]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Elite Dangerous -- CMDR GUN
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Be awesome for DayZ though!
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Everything is coming up Cletus.

The (broken :roll: ) 46" has gone into the bedroom and the 40" LED LCD 3D Smart TV has been taken off the bedroom wall and attached to my Master Race.

Even a one sentence reply now looks like a wall of text. You all appear as a version of GameHED to me now. Might have to knock the text down a little. The 360 had to go on the floor beside the desk. It's a way better screen than the 46". And this Samsung was literally wasted in the bedroom - we hadn't even bothered to crack open the 3D glasses for this screen. Nicole is loving the new 65" UHD in the lounge so everyone wins.
Elite Dangerous -- CMDR GUN
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

I'll never understand a tv in the bedroom. I mean sure as a teenager it was great. I could play video games whenever I wanted and watch sbs ;) but as an adult... I find the concept odd.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

I can't remember not having a TV in the bedroom, had one for the last 24yrs.
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD
XBL ID: AgOnNy
PSN ID: AgOnNy
Steam ID: AgOnNy

Post by AgOnNy »

t0mby wrote:I can't remember not having a TV in the bedroom, had one for the last 24yrs.
Doesn't count if your bedroom is your loungeroom as well! :P
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

Yeah I can't imagine not having a TV in the bedroom. Best thing to unwind before nodding off. And by unwind, I mean watching BBC's Auschwitz documentary series. :/