Time for a new TV?

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Re: Time for a new TV?

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Got the Samsung 65" Q75R. :up:
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Good job. Did you get to see it in store as well as other tvs to compare?
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Yeah. Had it down to q75r and Sony x9500g. Both comparable. Airplay 2 support and Freesync nudged q75r over.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Grabbed myself a Panasonic GZ1500u just before they all disappaered from Australian stores this week. Finally into the 4k age.. just sucks that when I game I'm still doing it at HD so I can get a higher frame rate for most!

Watched the Foxtel UltraHD\4k movie channels, sweet as. It's also nice having some decent sound cominng out of the TV too, especially with the kids I straight away noticed having the sound coming at me then out the back or downward from the TV.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Mounting a TV + soundbar is not a cheap exercise. Brackets, electrican to move wall points, installer, recessed wall point casings is now north of $1k.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

How many connections did you get up behind the tv? I've always thought twice about mounting a tv incase I end up with another device but nowhere to hide the cord. How you finding the TV a few weeks on? For myself coming from a Panasonic Plasma to the OLED world, wowee I didn't realise from looking in the shops just what I'd been missing. Everything's just better, playing Ghostbuster HD remake on xbox the other week and even that looked great.

Also on the soundbar as I've never had one before, whats the difference between all these surround settings? Are they just different codecs?
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Just a double recessed power point for TV and soundbar and separate recessed antenna. We had a 3rd generation 1080p Apple TV in the old setup. With the Q75R supporting Airplay and the Apple TV app we were able to do away with that device. Samsung TVs have Steamlink support so I can wirelessly stream games from my PC. Should we get a games console down the line we'll probably just set it up on the entertainment unit and run cables then pack it away when not in use.

The household is loving the TV. I was at work during the install and the missus kept texting me 'it's too big... it's way too big'. I said 65" is the perfect size for our room and viewing distance and that she'll get use to it. We're all used to it.

I've yet to sit down and soak in a movie yet. All it's done is play kid's shows so far. All those CG kid's shows look amazing though.

Soundbar. We have the Sonos Beam. There isn't a list of preset settings with this device. I've run Sonos Trueplay tuning via the Sonos app which tunes sound based on the position of people and the room. I was surprised at how good it sounds and how much bass it pumps out despite not being paired with a sub. It sounds better in my room than it did during the in-store demo.

And Netflix. We'd somehow managed to avoid it until now. We finally signed on because we want the kid's screen time to involve shows they can sit and watch from start to finish vs jumping around from clip to clip every 30 secs on a handheld device. I'm pretty amazed at how much there is to watch. Keen to give The Witcher a go when I get some time.
MiNiStRy
Occasionally Overlooks Gravity.
XBL ID: MiNiStRyS
PSN ID: MiNiStRy
Steam ID: MiNiStRyS

Post by MiNiStRy »

If your tv is below the PowerPoint it can be run in he walls no problem at all. I install tv’s on the wall every week and if your in Melbourne just let me kniow.
Here’s an install I’ve done with soundbar also.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Nice job. Did you also alphabetically sort the media collection? This dude still packing Cocktail. :up:
MiNiStRy
Occasionally Overlooks Gravity.
XBL ID: MiNiStRyS
PSN ID: MiNiStRy
Steam ID: MiNiStRyS

Post by MiNiStRy »

It was for a elderly couple in their 60's who still had a dvd player connected!
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

It’s crazy that despite most owning a HDTV/4K tv, they still use a DVD player.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Maybe it's a Ultra HD Blu Ray player so they can watch Cocktail as it was intended?
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

Peppermint Lounge wrote:Just a double recessed power point for TV and soundbar and separate recessed antenna. We had a 3rd generation 1080p Apple TV in the old setup. With the Q75R supporting Airplay and the Apple TV app we were able to do away with that device. Samsung TVs have Steamlink support so I can wirelessly stream games from my PC. Should we get a games console down the line we'll probably just set it up on the entertainment unit and run cables then pack it away when not in use.

The household is loving the TV. I was at work during the install and the missus kept texting me 'it's too big... it's way too big'. I said 65" is the perfect size for our room and viewing distance and that she'll get use to it. We're all used to it.

I've yet to sit down and soak in a movie yet. All it's done is play kid's shows so far. All those CG kid's shows look amazing though.

Soundbar. We have the Sonos Beam. There isn't a list of preset settings with this device. I've run Sonos Trueplay tuning via the Sonos app which tunes sound based on the position of people and the room. I was surprised at how good it sounds and how much bass it pumps out despite not being paired with a sub. It sounds better in my room than it did during the in-store demo.

And Netflix. We'd somehow managed to avoid it until now. We finally signed on because we want the kid's screen time to involve shows they can sit and watch from start to finish vs jumping around from clip to clip every 30 secs on a handheld device. I'm pretty amazed at how much there is to watch. Keen to give The Witcher a go when I get some time.
Very nice! Does that tv come with an hdmi 2.1 port, or only hdmi2.0? Trying to find a TV that supports 2.1 for future proofing...
Peppermint Lounge
The End

HDMI 2.0 on this set, mate.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Vince, try the LG OLEDS. I believe the 2019/20 feature HDMI 2.1, with up to 120fps at 4K resolution, as well as VRR, ALLM, and eARC.

Best tv for gaming imo.
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

flipswitch wrote:Vince, try the LG OLEDS. I believe the 2019/20 feature HDMI 2.1, with up to 120fps at 4K resolution, as well as VRR, ALLM, and eARC.

Best tv for gaming imo.
I want it as a pc monitor for my upgrade and I so want an lg OLED but for the fact they can get burn in, I’m scared to purchase.

Thanks Pep. I’ll keep looking. I believe the 2020 lg nanocell tvs have 2.1. I know the pic quality isn’t anywhere near an OLED but there’s no risk of burn in...
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

After much consideration, I decided on the new LG CX OLED 55”. It is glorious! Played F1 2019 on PS4 Pro and it looks staggeringly good! Purchased the TV set from Harvey Norman today for $2980.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

:nana:

You’re set for life now.
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

flipswitch wrote::nana:

You’re set for life now.
Tried Horizon on PS4 Pro on the new TV and my GOD!!! If anyone is on the fence about OLED, this game will make you an instant convert!
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Have you got God of War? If you do give that a whirl, I thought it looked fantastic.
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

flipswitch wrote:Have you got God of War? If you do give that a whirl, I thought it looked fantastic.
I most certainly do have it, and I will give it a whirl tonight!
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Candy Arse wrote:Have floated the idea of selling my current set (40" Bravia), with the proceeds going towards a new one, which will be something along the lines of a 100Hz LCD or a Plasma panel, and if it's Plasma it'll be a Viera.

Still, would like to get some opinions/discussion happening here. Haven't done a whole lot of reading on panels of late since I've been happy with mine but I think it's time to upgrade to something that can handle motion a tad better.
Happy to report I got a new TV over the weekend, a Samsung 65Q80T. This thing is fucking shit hot.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

noice. On a side note, how good is watching f1 in 4k? Feels like I'm there.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Don't get a Samsung QLED. Some weird thing started happening to the screen about 18 months in, past the warranty period.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Aren't you still rocking the 51cm Telefunken? AKA the Brisbane Broncos of TVs?