Time for a new TV?

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Re: Time for a new TV?

Post by lestat »

Madmya wrote:Don't get a Samsung QLED. Some weird thing started happening to the screen about 18 months in, past the warranty period.
Care to elaborate?

I noticed on mine over time the dirty screen effect became more pronounced. As if the LEDs of each dimming zone decayed at slightly different rates. It's not noticeable on most material, but 10-20% greyscale like scenes you can notice the vertical zone bars.

My TV is coming up 3 years now. Googling around this appears to happen to all the Samsung's, the degree of it varies from set to set.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Candy Arse wrote:Aren't you still rocking the 51cm Telefunken? AKA the Brisbane Broncos of TVs?
:lol: :lol: Holy shit this post made my day. I can't believe you remember that, The Funk was made redundant by an LED Samsung over a decade ago! :lol:

Yeah lestat, sounds like the dirty screen effect you're talking about. I didn't know it was common, though I suspected it was. It just looks like there's fingerprints all over the screen, and it's slowly getting worse. I just don't think it's good enough for a TV you spend >$2K on. For those playing at home it's a Samsung Q7... couple of years old, can't be arsed finding the exact model.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Dirty screen effect when displaying uniform colours is a thing with all LED TVs, isn’t it? Less noticeable the more you spend but still a thing.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Ahh, I just googled it and my problem is not the same. I'll take pics when I get a chance.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Peppermint Lounge wrote:Dirty screen effect when displaying uniform colours is a thing with all LED TVs, isn’t it? Less noticeable the more you spend but still a thing.
Yes it depends on the size of the TV and type of backlight LED arrangement/zones.
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

So close to getting a new TV. After the new LG CX Oled. Most likely end up with a 65", but wouldn't mind the 77", but cant justify spending that much on a TV.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

The world's first cognitive intelligence TV*
*including a processor that cross-analyses multiple picture elements combined with focal points; recreating human perspective. As of December 2020 no other brand has specifically claimed such cognitive intelligence for their TV processor. Verified by Strategy Analytics.
It’s just a tv. I couldn’t watch all of it, but this just sounds like the Emotion Engine 2.0.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

https://www.theverge.com/games/2021/6/2 ... x-c1-g1-4k

This sounds expensive. LG the first manufacturer to have a TV that can do 4K at 120hz with Dolby Vision enabled. Some current LG TVs will be prompted for an update that will support this but as of yet, there are no games that do. Funny considering Micro$oft have the exclusive on Dolby atm.

Anyway, the television sounds expensive.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by guttermouth »

Nearly jump on the C1 77" on the weekend. They where marked down to $6500. If they are cutting their price after a few weeks. Thought I might wait a little longer to see how low they go. Last years 77" where selling for $8000.

Currently have a 65" Sony LED which is about 4 years old. Gotta go bigger this time
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Most I've ever spent on a television was $2000 and that was in 1993 for a Sony 29" CRT. :lol:

I hear you about size, we upgraded to a 65" back in 2019 but we went cheap because of the kids, the youngest had already broken one and put scratches on another so we opted for a 4k Toshiba that does HDR, it's ok, but now HDMI Arc and the Google Store is extremely lacking, still for $1200 it's very good bang for your buck. I was close to buying a Sony a couple of months ago, can't remember the model number but was 75" with Atmos, Vision and was 120hz but obviously didn't do vision on gaming which isn't a deal breaker for me. Was down to $2500. I went back a couple of weeks later but it was gone.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Scored myself a 65 inch LG C1 last weekend for the games room, moved the Samsung into the lounge room to upgrade from one of those Aldi budget jobs.

Needless to say the LG has blown me away, paired up with a 3080-powered PC among a bunch of other things.

Even the Saturn through the OSSC looks great.
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by guttermouth »

Some crazy prices on the LG C1's now for black Friday. Just picked up the 77" for $4999. Getting delivered tomorrow, looking forward to pumping the Xbox and PS5 through it.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Congrats dude, you're in for a hell of a time. Amazing TV.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Very nice. You’re set well for this gen.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Was very tempted to pick up a 75" Panasonic or LG yesterday, for $2k down from $3600 but they wouldn't take a deposit to hold the price till this week. Got the money, it just takes about 3 working days to transfer from Stocks so missed out. In hindsight I should have cleared the money last week (or HP'd it and paid it off in full once cleared) but all these prices being announced were not very appealing at all, it was just a fluke I was in the shops yesterday after work and saw some for myself.
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by guttermouth »

After a few months with the 77" C1 OLED.......bloody brilliant.
Once you go OLED you can't unsee it.
Before I had a Sony 65" 4k LED which was an amazing TV.

Gaming on it is a dream. Series X and PS5 it's just jaw dropping,, the size just adds to it... should of gone bigger :lol: :lol:
Forza Horizon 5, Halo Infinte and Flight Sim just look damn beautiful. Even playing old games and enabling 120fps is buttery smooth. Only things I've played on PS5 is Battlefront 2042, Destiny 2 which seems a bit jerky compared to Series X version. Even pulled out Resogun on it looks even better.

Ended up purchasing a Panasonic 4k player that does Dolby vision and was worth the purchase, huge steep upon the consoles player. And alot quiter

Only issue is the apps store. Fucken rubbish. Alot of streaming services missing. Miss the Android store and using VPNs so you can watch other regions content. Purchased a Nvidia Shield so I can do this.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Finally caved on a telly and probably the most expensive Ive spent on one. Went with a Sony X90J, could've probably gone for something else but I got very tired of looking at comparisons and also some of the tellies on par or better picture-wise didn't have Dolby Atmos & Vision, plus the few reviews I did see said it was a great gaming telly which has always been a priority. My current telly I had been happy with for the price ($1100, 4K HDR Toshiba) but the other day I was at my mum's watching telly on her 2015 model Sony 55" that I bought on the Gold Coast and even for a 7yo telly the picture was far superior. I may have buyers remorse down the line but I was definitely in need of some retail therapy after a really shitty 12 months.

Anyway, looking forward to trying it out when I can find a way of getting it home as it was too big to fit in my hatchback. 😛
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Here's a couple of pics I took of games, haven't watched too many DV movies on disc yet, in fact my library is rather sparse in that regard. Didn't bother taking pics of Netflix streams as apparently there's a significant difference between that and 4K UHD discs.

Guardians of the Galaxy - Vivid HDR
IMG_20220322_222931.jpg

MLB The Show 22 - Dolby Vision Bright
IMG_20220405_202713.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.