Time for a new TV?

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Re: Time for a new TV?

Post by Cletus »

We've been forced to buy a new tv for the kitchen and ended up buying a Samsung 40" LED LCD 3D Smart TV with built in wifi because the price difference between that and the same without 3D and built in wifi was $60. Craziness. $810

Questions.

Will I ever be able to sign into my Youtube account via the television?

Can I change the homepage to Google rather than be stuck with Ninemsn?

Is there a compatible 3rd party bluetooth remote/keyboard that doesn't cost too much and will make the browser useful?

Is there a compatible Skype camera that isn't the Samsung one worth about $150? I'd actually like to set up Skype for Nicole. She and her brother Skype often as he lives in the Middle East.
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

Holy fuck that's cheap.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

The Good Guys.

The model without 3D and built in Wifi was $756. The model we got was priced at $898 but we asked what was the best he could do on either and came up with $750 and $810.

No brainer.

Answered my remote question. My Tifi app for iphone. Connects over the network and makes typing in text just that little less aggrivating. But only a little less. Smart Tv is a misleading name for these things.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

what's the base look like?

Actually, do you have the model number handy? I wonder if I could swing a new tv...
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Kind of wondering if I can justify a new telly. My old Samsung was a pretty good model however many years ago I Got it, wonder if you're average cheapish tv (lg have some 55inch at abiut $1600) these days would smoke it in pq or whether there is still benefit in the old Sammy.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

This is the model, Grey. The base is quite nice actually but ours is wall mounted so obviously it's not being used.

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-lcd-led-pla ... sku-84928/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tech specs
http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/tv-a ... 0MXXY-spec" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For a kitchen TV it does the job more than adequately. Browsing on a smart TV is a pain in the arse. myTifi app makes it a little less painful as mentioned earlier.
Raven

Post by Raven »

Looking at a new TV for the missus and not really sure where to start. She wants something around the 40-50 inch mark, for under a grand. She'll do a lot of console gaming and watch a lot of BDs, basically. That's essentially the requirement.

First glance, I'm looking at Samsung's 50" 100hz...

http://www.thegoodguys.com.au/buyonline ... A50EH6000M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The price seems a little too good to be true, but it could either be to do with the limited inputs, or maybe Good Guys is that much cheaper than JB and DSE.

Any recommendations at all?
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

3D is an option you can consider too. Look at the model I got in the posts just above, a few months back.
Raven

Post by Raven »

One thing I did forget to mention is that she doesn't care for 3D and is willing to go without it if it saves money. Having said that, on the model you bought, it appears to be only a slight saving, so...
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Yes, that's why I point it out. I have no need or desire for 3D but the price difference with two pairs of glasses was something like 50 or 80 dollars. Minimal anyway. And on the off chance you could have used 3D, you have it.
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

2 HDMI inputs seems awfully limited, but if you don't have any extra devices then that should be fine.

Same TV at big brown box for $50 cheaper, and a slightly higher model with 3D + 2x glasses, one extra HDMI input and wireless lan.

http://www.bigbrownbox.com.au/samsung-u ... ed-lcd-tv/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.bigbrownbox.com.au/samsung-u ... ed-lcd-tv/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Check some JB stores as well, sometimes they have some cheap 2012 models in stock as the 2013 models probably aren't too far away
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

I'm looking for a new tv and the more I read about newer tv's and console gaming the worse it gets...

I'm after a 42 inch tv (yes Samsung only does 40 and hisense is actually 39 so they are fine...) and under a grand. I got excited last night about jb having a clearance on an lg tv, it's a newer model of what is in my living room (not my gaming tv) but on further reading on the net it has shitty response times.

To be honest I care more about pq then anything else. 3D and smart mean nothing to me.

What do others use for gaming, and does anyone have any recommendations for a decent gaming tv?
Seraph
The only seraph on the internet.
XBL ID: Seraphcon V

Post by Seraph »

http://www.displaylag.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hit up this site for info on input lag on TVs - it's kept pretty up-to-date with new models etc. There's an article there recently published that might help.
http://www.displaylag.com/the-best-hdtv ... 13-part-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for personal recommendations?
Our techs actually recommend Samsungs despite/because of the failure rate we've experienced with them at work: we've had 3 go in 3 years, plus there was your experience and EBE's just died, too.
However, our 3 and yours were all $2 capacitor replacement fixes, and our techs have a more pragmatic view of electronics - everything breaks sooner or later, so if you know a device will probably fail in 2 years or so, and you know it will probably only cost $2 to fix, that's a winner.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

I was super happy with my previous series 6. I'd love to buy another but it's hard to justify spending the money when it's only going to be used for a gaming display. You pay well more than the price of the console for the screen...
mech
Phase 3: Profit!
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

I've had two out of three Samsung TVs require warranty repairs within 6 months (two repairs for one of them), and the software is atrocious.

They do have the best bang for buck, but you have to be prepared for shit build quality and shit service though.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Anyone have much to do with Kogan TVs? Thinking of getting one as a cheap second TV but didn't want to throw money away
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

What's the word on 50Hz vs 100Hz - is it worth it? I'm gearing up to get a new telly once I hand in a completed draft of my thesis, I'm keen on a Sony because they look nicer - but the 100Hz one is a bit uglier. Should I just deal with it and go 100Hz?
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
mxlegend99
I don't watch Rugby League
I don't watch Rugby League
XBL ID: mxlegend

Post by mxlegend99 »

mech wrote:I've had two out of three Samsung TVs require warranty repairs within 6 months (two repairs for one of them), and the software is atrocious.

They do have the best bang for buck, but you have to be prepared for shit build quality and shit service though.
I've never had an issue with Samsung. I have a 40inch LCD that I picked up about 6 or 7 years ago and is still working today. It has a line of dead pixels on it, but otherwise is perfectly fine. For the first 2/3 years it was used for pretty much everything. Last time I was in the service menu I worked out that it had averaged 8 or 8 hours use a day for the 4 years or so I had it.

Now it barely gets used and is just in the garage for when we're playing pool/darts or having drinks etc.. But the reliability of that meant that last year when I was looking at a new TV to replace that one as my main TV due to the dead pixels, I replaced it with a Samsung 51inch Plasma ($898 I think which was super cheap for a 3DTV that side last year) that I picked up and it has been a great TV. But that's now been demoted to my second living room as I decided it was too small and picked up a 64inch Samsung TV. Both of the newer Samsung TV's are running fine, but it's still early days. Fortunately my 3D Glasses work on both TV's aswell, leaving me with 6 pairs.

Samsung have usually got the best value for money when I am looking at TVs. Sub $1000 for a 51inch 3DTV at the start of last year was a bargain. Then when I was looking at 60+ inch TV's this year, they also had the best value for money IMO with the screen I picked up only costing $1700 during a JB Hifi sale.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Mine would probably still be working if I knew how to solder... :(
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

it's not very hard to learn
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

YOU'RE NOT MY DAD!
Seraph

Post by Seraph »

Grey, if your TV has the same or similar issue as last time, let me know and I'll get it fixed.
If you're looking for a good 42" gaming TV, I'd recommend this.
http://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-lcd-led-pla ... ku-406390/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's 42 inch, under 800 bucks, no 3D and has a response time of ~15ms, which is outstanding for a TV of that size.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Does the tv only having a 50htz option mean anything? Or does that just mean shit will only run at it's native refresh rate?
Seraph

Post by Seraph »

I found the manual online. Following output modes depending on input (component, hdmi etc) listed below:

COMPONENT IN
1080p (50, 60Hz), 1080i (50, 60Hz), 720p (50, 60Hz), 576p, 576i, 480p, 480i

HDMI IN 1, 2 Video:
1080p (30, 50, 60Hz), 1080/24p, 1080i (50, 60Hz), 720p (30, 50, 60Hz), 720/24p, 576p, 576i, 480p, 480i, PC Formats

MHL (common with HDMI IN 2) Video:
1080p (30Hz), 1080/24p, 1080i (50, 60Hz), 720p (30, 50, 60Hz), 720/24p, 576p, 576i, 480p, 480i

To clarify, HDMI 1 and 2 both support 1080p at 50 and 60Hz. The MHL listing is what HDMI-2 port supports when connecting a device via Mobile High-Definition Link, and is a limitation of the MHL design spec, not the TV.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

It sounds like, for gaming, buy a 50htz tv because you would just be turning off the motion stuff anyway... 24p is a requirement for br. I do occasionally watch br's via the ps3 in my room.