Unfinished Tolkien Tale to be Published

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

edgecrusher
BLUE!...YOUR MY BOY BLUE!!
PSN ID: edgecrush33

Unfinished Tolkien Tale to be Published

Post by edgecrusher »

Source: The Associated Press September 18, 2006

The Associated Press reports that "The Children of Hurin," an unfinished tale by J.R.R. Tolkien, has been edited by his son into a completed work and will be released next spring.

Christopher Tolkien has spent the past 30 years working on the book, an epic tale his father began in 1918 and later abandoned. Excerpts of "The Children of Hurin," which includes the elves and dwarves of Tolkien's "The Lord of the Rings" and other works, have been published before.

"It has seemed to me for a long time that there was a good case for presenting my father's long version of the legend of the 'Children of Hurin' as an independent work, between its own covers," Christopher Tolkien said.

The new book will be published by Houghton Mifflin in the United States and HarperCollins in England.
Everybody be cool.....You be cool
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

I started reading The Silmarillion a long while back and I must say,what a boring religious tome of shit that was.

Moreso than the LOTR books which dragged on and fucking on...even more than the movies dragged on and fucking on.

I doubt I'll ever bother reading another of his softcock homoerotic stories.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

Just read the hobbit, that's it. Less bullshit and a shorter story. It's as if he was writing for a different audience.

Yeah I read the first lord of the rings book and was bored shitless. I don't see how it could be counted as a classic. They must just look for long boring books when they are defining "classics" of literature.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

GreyWizzard wrote:Just read the hobbit, that's it. Less bullshit and a shorter story. It's as if he was writing for a different audience.

Yeah I read the first lord of the rings book and was bored shitless. I don't see how it could be counted as a classic. They must just look for long boring books when they are defining "classics" of literature.
Yep :lol: :up:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

LOTR = rip off of norse myth.

Although I agree the books are boring (too descriptive of boring stuff like plants and stuff and goes on and on) I think LOTR movies were good though. I love my epic fantasy movie trilogies. I could easily sit for 9 hours for a LOTR marathon session if I wasn't already playing oblivion. :D

They should just make an oblivion middle earth mod imo.

As for its classic status: all the dice rolling dungeoun and dragon nerds really have to pay respect to it because pretty much all fantasy book borrow stuff from this. I can understand it just being classic from that alone. I could not understand though as a little kid how other kids could have read LOTR because it is so thick. Hobbit for sure (since it was aimed at kids?) but not LOTR.

Speaking of the hobbit: I'm surprised there hasn't been any plan to make a movie. You would think they would want to cash in on the fantasy movie trend what with all the harry potter kiddie movies and all.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

Erm, they are making a movie. Sorry, two movies it seems all pertaining to The Hobbit. Peter Jackson says he'd like to do it, while MGM have said he's doing it before speaking to him about it. It's all over at AICN, go read up on it.
skinner

Post by skinner »

GreyWizzard wrote:Just read the hobbit, that's it. Less bullshit and a shorter story. It's as if he was writing for a different audience.
The publishers wanted a story for kids. Hence why more people prefer the Hobbit over LOTR.

I hope that this complete version of "The Children of Húrin" will not become a film as the scope and style of any aspect of the First Age would be impossible to capture onscreen.

http://www.tolkienestate.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kwijibo

Post by kwijibo »

Cletus wrote:I started reading The Silmarillion a long while back and I must say,what a boring religious tome of shit that was.

Moreso than the LOTR books which dragged on and fucking on...even more than the movies dragged on and fucking on.

I doubt I'll ever bother reading another of his softcock homoerotic stories.
Well said :up:

The hobbit is shit too, don't bother :wink:
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Yeah But it would make a great set for the nerdy collector type to have a movie of hobbit along with LOTR. Kinda like saying:here is the movie about the red dragon Gandalf was reffering to at the start of the LOTR movie. Now you know what he was talking about.

Like with the mention of clone wars in OT starwars. It would also give more info on how the ring was found, and some background on Gollum for those who didn't read the book. I think the fact that it is such a simple story would actually make it more appealing to those who don't like fantasy movies.

Forget king kong. Should have just started on it as soon as return of the king was finished.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto