Home Theatre Thread

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Re: Home Theatre Thread

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Can you bypass by going direct to TV for picture then using another audio connection eg: optical? Not ideal but a decent workaround.
edgecrusher
BLUE!...YOUR MY BOY BLUE!!
PSN ID: edgecrush33

Post by edgecrusher »

New pic of my setup. Last year I bought a new amp and last week I bought a new tv and entertainment units

Everybody be cool.....You be cool
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

My Media room setup.

This is where lestat talks shit from on MNR nights, I have a sliding door to the left and sound proofing in the walls.
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD
XBL ID: AgOnNy
PSN ID: AgOnNy
Steam ID: AgOnNy

Post by AgOnNy »

I'm worried that you refer to yourself in the third person...
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Sweet. +10 points for white table on black rug. Nice touch. The distance from the screen would bother me though. I like to be quite a bit closer and there's nothing wrong with my eyes and I don't need or wear glasses. Personal preference is all. But I do sit extremely close to the screen.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Shit that looks nice, lestat.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Cletus wrote:Sweet. +10 points for white table on black rug. Nice touch. The distance from the screen would bother me though. I like to be quite a bit closer and there's nothing wrong with my eyes and I don't need or wear glasses. Personal preference is all. But I do sit extremely close to the screen.
Room length is 4.5m, so effective view distance is 4m, It was hard picking a room length when we were building the house, in practice I find the distance good for the 65inch and 1080p/dot pitch. I have plans to go a 84-85 inch screen with 4k once they come down to something reasonable(the room distance was really optimised for that size screen). That's why I haven't mounted the TV, I have a cable conduit in the wall ready for mounting later.

I had a projector years ago and found them just a pain to use during the day, with flat panels being so large now I don't see much point in projectors for home use.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Any recommendations for a Smart TV? Looking at something around 55"-60" at $1500-2000k. Currently have a 63" projector telly but the lcd crystal as shat itself.

I see Hisense are very reasonably priced but couldn't find any reviews for the models available here.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

Last time I looked at a hisense the frameratey thing was locked, no way to disable it. Also the featureless hisense seemed to perform better.

If you are trying to save a bit of money check out the dick smith tv's. I bought one and it's pretty decent for a budget telly.
Hercy
Makes poor choices in hats
XBL ID: Hercy

Post by Hercy »

I know nothing about this TV apart from the fact that it was in a JB Hifi promo email today and it meets your criteria: https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-enter ... ogue-Promo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This link will probably be broken but I'm sure you can figure it out.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

That happened to be the one I was looking at this arvo while browsing online Hercy, sounds like the goods and an awesome price too. Asked Harvey Norman to price match and they said no because their telly is $1989 with a free $90 voucher lol. No wonder people don't buy from HN.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

What a price, nice find!. I'd buy one in a flash if I had the space.
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

t0mby wrote:That happened to be the one I was looking at this arvo while browsing online Hercy, sounds like the goods and an awesome price too. Asked Harvey Norman to price match and they said no because their telly is $1989 with a free $90 voucher lol. No wonder people don't buy from HN.
Assholes, show them this

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/218445" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.harveynorman.com.au/sony-bra ... rt-tv.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Fuck that is tempting. Must resist.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

I need to take some decent photos of my set up. Photos I've taken tend to look rubbish because the room is quite dark (the windows are narrow home theatre windows as it is ... that we tinted haha) but I'll try.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

pilonv1 wrote:
t0mby wrote:That happened to be the one I was looking at this arvo while browsing online Hercy, sounds like the goods and an awesome price too. Asked Harvey Norman to price match and they said no because their telly is $1989 with a free $90 voucher lol. No wonder people don't buy from HN.
Assholes, show them this

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/218445" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.harveynorman.com.au/sony-bra ... rt-tv.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Purchased,cheers Pilon.
mxlegend99
I don't watch Rugby League
XBL ID: mxlegend

Post by mxlegend99 »

Wow. Looking at the setup lestat has, it makes mine look so shit in comparison. His theatre room is so clean and tidy...while mine is basically our spare bedroom, a storage room for shit that doesn't fit into our bedroom and my mancave.
01.jpg
My TV and couch, with the portable beer cooler thing being my desk. I used to have my white PC setup properly at a desk, but I couldn't fit it in the room and now have it (and my HTPC/server) all running through the same screen. The HTPC is a HP n40L sitting in the cubes, with a USB3.0 hard drive rack in the cube next to it for increased storage.
02.jpg
Don't have enough HDMI ports in my amp and the switch box, so I have an Xbox 360 sitting under the projector here and my 60GB launch PS3 sitting on the cupboard in the first picture. They get used the least so I set them up when I want to use them, but can't get rid of them as I do still have use for them (PS3 is jailbroken and has a heap of games on the HDD, the 360 is the only way I can play all my 360 games at the moment)

I have a screen setup out the back for using the projector the big event things... watched a heap of the Origins, Finals matches and ofcourse the NRL Grand Final on it. Only good for using once the sun goes down though. In the day I can't even see the faintest of pictures outside.
03.jpg
My bluray movies in the start of the shelving, and toward the bottom my Bluray tv shows begin. Minus a few box sets that were a bit bulky and I removed as I added to my collection.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

04.jpg
My DVD TV Shows, and down the bottom below them are some of the bulkier/messier box sets. Kind of hidden by my lounge. Then in the shelving on the draws is what's left of my HD-DVD collection. Which has slowly shrunk as I picked stuff up on Bluray.
05.jpg
The shit here is:

Gaming PC on the left
Sony BDP-55100 Bluray player (Region B player)
Foxtel IQ3
Toshiba HD-EP10 HD-DVD player
PS4
Xbox One
Laser 3D Bluray Player (set to Region A)
Plus my HTPC which is in the cube out of sight.

That uses my 6 HDMI ports in my Onkyo amp, and one of those ports runs to the switch box that swaps between my bluray players and foxtel.

I could always hook devices up directly to the TV aswell, but then it's a mess with the audio need to run from the TV to the amp. So I just use the Foxtel HDMI cable to hook other shit up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

20150527_193248.jpg
My Projector setup outside. The picture looks washed out because of the camera flash. When it's dark the picture looks much better. Although the pics taken with no flash you can't see much else other than the screen.

The Projector is a Sanyo Z700 which is bought probably 6 years ago now and is still running on the original bulb. I have a spare one I bought on ebay a year ago, as the lamp replacement light has been on for a while. But since it only ever gets hooked up for the odd footy game it hasn't needed replacing as yet. It's running through my Sony Muteki Amp which is setup on the back deck. It has two of the proper sony speakers hooked up (the surround ones, the rest are hooked up to my Onkyo amp), one of the subs (the other is on my Onkyo amp) and the remain speakers are from my Logitech Z680. I have 3 on the back of the house, and two either side of the projector screen.
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

Finally moving into my own place soon. Building is weeks away from completion. Have a dedicated theatre room. So far bought a ridiculously comfortable 3 seat electric recliner from one of those flashy furniture shops in Melbourne. As soon as I sat in it and reclined it was heaven. After a new TV still deciding wether to go with 65 inch or a bit bigger. Not to fazed with going 4k cause I can't see any sense in it yet. Having a decent theatre system will look at upgrading to bigger speakers soon.

Checked out the Big Picture People last weekend. The setups in there are just mind blowing along with the price tags.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Cletus wrote:Sweet. +10 points for white table on black rug. Nice touch. The distance from the screen would bother me though. I like to be quite a bit closer and there's nothing wrong with my eyes and I don't need or wear glasses. Personal preference is all. But I do sit extremely close to the screen.
+10 more points for the plantation blinds.
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!
XBL ID: Burnzoire
Steam ID: Burnzoire

Post by Burnzoire »

+10 points for having the same entertainment unit as me
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

-1080 for not having your PC desktop on the telly.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

RWISE FRWOM THE GWAVE!

So I was in the market for an amplifier for awhile as I wasn't happy with my Yamaha from 2007. I picked it up for cheap about 2.5yrs ago before I moved into my first house. However, being as old as it is, hdmi was only 1.2 so 1080p was the best I could get. Too much mucking around all the time to play in 4k and have stereo sound (lounge is a fucked design for home theatre).

Anyway, I wanted something a bit more up to date without breaking the bank and I stumbled across this Pioneer VSX933 with 7.2.2 which will be handy for the future.

https://hometheaterreview.com/pioneer-v ... ed/?page=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

80wrms x 7, 4k@60hz, Bluetooth, Spotify, Chromecast, Airplay 2, internet radio, WiFi/cat5, Dolby Atmos, Sonos compatible.... all for a low sum of $699. Considering the other amps in the same range are double the price this was a no brained, plus it's pretty much a rebadged Onkyo as Pioneer and Onkyo are the same company now. Yes I know the lounge isn't suitable for 7.2 atm but at least this is future proofed for a good 10yrs unless 8k becomes affordable in the coming years (can't imagine it).

When researching the amp I had no idea what Dolby Atmos was so when I found out it was for ceiling speakers as well, I was stoked as I have a pair of brand new 125w 8ohm Earthquake ceiling speakers given to me a couple of years ago. The 7.2.2 channels stands for 7 channels for front, centre, mid sides, surround, 2 subs and 2 ceiling. You can remove 2 speakers from the equation and put them in a separate room and control which room you want to listen in via the app.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Yeah Pioneer and Onkyo are interchangeable these days, Pioneer branded models are just Onkyo's.

Looks very similar to the Onkyo NR555 I use. I've been happy with mine, good sound quality and I haven't had any weird signal compatibility issues with it.

I use a 5.1.2 setup in my place, I bought the onkyo atmos topper speakers for the front height channels. Creates that extra height sound field, my rear surrounds are in the ceiling. The nice thing with the 7 channel amps is they usually have zone 2 support, I have my zone 2 wired up to speakers in the alfresco, you can then use the onkyo amp to play music and control zone 2 with your phone.

You'll be happy with it, it's a great quality amp, heaps of smart features that work well.