Home Theatre Thread

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Not a bad amp. Saw something similar yesterday when I was window shopping. Speakers are nice, although page doesn't give any power ratings, just says 750w.

As for the amp, power rating says 160 W/Ch at 6 Ohms so if each channel pumps that, I'd definitely look into getting rears the same size as the front some time in the near future (You don't want the sound of tinny action behind you).

Aside from that I don't think you can go wrong,
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Post by BruceCamblzChin »

in this thread Chaos is in a bad mood.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

In this thread Chaos explains to Burns that people don't post much on the ranch on the weekend.

Then explains that he has no knowledge of the latest fandangled gadgets that the Gen Y kiddies like to waste their mortgage deposits on :P
MiNiStRy
Occasionally Overlooks Gravity.
XBL ID: MiNiStRyS
PSN ID: MiNiStRy
Steam ID: MiNiStRyS

Post by MiNiStRy »

The jamo speakers and onkyo amp you listed are a fantastic buy for $2000 definately good for someone just geting into the hidef market, i'd say go for it!
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Post by BruceCamblzChin »

General Chaos wrote:In this thread Chaos explains to Burns that people don't post much on the ranch on the weekend.

Then explains that he has no knowledge of the latest fandangled gadgets that the Gen Y kiddies like to waste their mortgage deposits on :P
:lol: Rich said 'fandangled'.

Click to enjoy a recent pic of him with his mates talking about the old days.

[Click to see hidden content]
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

:lol: Context is clearly lost on you ya fraggle!
DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

Burnzoire wrote:thoughts?
If you're going to drop 2K and wanted smaller speakers, then look into the KEF's I mentioned previously, 2k with an Onkyo receiver and sound AMAZING.
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!
XBL ID: Burnzoire
Steam ID: Burnzoire

Post by Burnzoire »

yeah I'd still go for the Jamo. Now I just need to convince the better tone-deaf half to agree to this ghastly over-spending of new fangled musical haberdashery.

Thanks for the advice, this will sit in a holding pattern for hopefully not too long!
edgecrusher
BLUE!...YOUR MY BOY BLUE!!
PSN ID: edgecrush33

Post by edgecrusher »

Burnzoire wrote:Ok so after seeing the panasonic all-in-one setup I'm definitely not getting that! It just looked cheap and nasty. Yeah you told me so!

Went to harvey normal and had a look at the high end stuff. The wife doesn't like the big floorstanding speakers so we had the satellites demod to us. I wasn't impressed by the sound at all. My attention went to a pack of Jamo floorstanding speakers and after a demo even the wife understood how superior the sound was. The best part is that they were selling the 5.1 pack plus an onkyo receiver for $2000. Sounds like a real bargain considering the quality - what do you guys think?

Jamo S 506 HCS 3(w/ sub 250)

Don't have the model number of the Onkyo amp but it was somehting like this 5.2 model.
go for it!!, I got Jamo Speakers which was very similar to that and they are a real good buy for that price. I also got a Jamo 300S sub and it fucking rocks. I'm also getting another jamo sub real soon because two are better then one!! :up:

I've got a onkyo amp, was about $900 when I bought it and its great. I did a lot of research, read a lot on forums etc and found to be the best for around that price.

I cant wait to get this 2nd sub and watch LOTR trilogy on blu-ray!!
Everybody be cool.....You be cool
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

I found an awesome Onkyo amp the other day for $1600. 120w RMS, 7.2 channels, Dolby True HD, THX Certified blah blah drone waffle bore. So tempted. Shame they aren't doing any speaker and amp combos.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!

Post by Burnzoire »

Ok so I just bought the jamo speakers & onkyo amp! I ended up getting a higher model amp - the TX-SR577 - 7.1 TrueHD, dts-hd, etc. Paid $1999 for the combo and got a matching onkyo iphone dock for half price ($99).

I'm just slowly setting it up now. Looks like I can "bi-amp" the front speakers to use up all channels for my 5.1 set-up. Will set up the fronts tonight and then tomorrow i'll look at whether to lay the rear cables in the ceiling or under the floor, then grumble that I should have paid someone to do it :D

Will post pics when I'm done!
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Have you got a fucking blu ray player yet?

True HD amp and fucking iphone dock to play back munted compressed mp3's... WIN!
DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

Nce work Burnzoire... You'll love it :)
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!

Post by Burnzoire »

General Chaos wrote:Have you got a fucking blu ray player yet?

True HD amp and fucking iphone dock to play back munted compressed mp3's... WIN!
Settle down grandpa! I needed a new receiver in order to get a blu ray player anyway, so this is step one. I'll grab one soon when I see a good deal.

oh and the dock is win - come home listening to tallica, pop the iphone on the dock and the receiver turns on auto-magically and resumes playing on the loud stuff.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

I'm just stirring. You will need to upgrade to a 70" plazzy to go with your big sound now!!
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!

Post by Burnzoire »

or a fully sick 3d tv bro! lol.... stupid salesman tried to sell me one even tho I let him know how I want 3D to stay the fuck outta my living room!
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!

Post by Burnzoire »

Finally got the rear's wired in. Picture rails turned out to be invaluable as I had no access room in the ceiling due to the low roof. From the rails I went down through the wall and out of an empty faceplate.

The sound is incredible now that I have all speakers in and have run the 3-point setup mic. The t-rex scene in jurassic park is glorious :D

Pictures as promised (prize for whoever can see my balls in the reflections):

Image Image Image Image Image
ObSoLeTe
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: OBY83

Post by ObSoLeTe »

nice setup mate :up:

when i first got my pioneer and jensen setup a few years back i tested it on a few scenes and the t-rex bit from jurassic park was one of them, a few scenes in T2, the first time he shoots the shotgun at the T-1000 down that hallway sounds fucking awesome and nuke going off sounds good

another scene that sounded good that i tested from was U-571, it was the depth chargers part, alot of explosions, metal denting and the creaking of the sub

"Old But Not Obsolete" - A.Schwarzenegger
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!

Post by Burnzoire »

ObSoLeTe wrote:nice setup mate :up:

when i first got my pioneer and jensen setup a few years back i tested it on a few scenes and the t-rex bit from jurassic park was one of them, a few scenes in T2, the first time he shoots the shotgun at the T-1000 down that hallway sounds fucking awesome and nuke going off sounds good

another scene that sounded good that i tested from was U-571, it was the depth chargers part, alot of explosions, metal denting and the creaking of the sub
Thanks for the tip - I just finished watching U571 then (first chance to watch a movie with this setup). Boy the depth charge scenes were off the show! The subby was so punchy and clear. Sound was cinema-quality all throughout the movie. It'll be interesting to see if blu-ray will raise it up a another notch it's pretty damn sweet at the moment.
DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

Setup looks lovely but I would absolutely NOT run your receiver in that tiny little hole even if there is no back on the cabinet.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Hey, if his x360 is in that closed space, no problems with the receiver!
Blotto
Man Fairy
XBL ID: Blotto Otto
PSN ID: Blotts
Steam ID: Blotto_Otto

Post by Blotto »

flipswitch wrote:Hey, if his x360 is in that closed space, no problems with the receiver!
valid point.... i'd imagine his 360 would go well before the amp would in those tiny spaces...
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!

Post by Burnzoire »

heh it's not closed at the back, and there is room for air above it. The salesmen tried to sell me another brand but it was taller and I knew I'd have issues with cooling then. Do you really think it'd overheat? I mean I've seen setups with the same amount of gap above the amp before. Hell, what about cabinets with doors etc?

As for the 360, there is HEAPS of space. If it's gonna go, it's gonna go *shrug*.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

ObSoLeTe wrote:nice setup mate :up:

The THX Certified logo at the start of most movies is enough to give me a woody. T2 and THX-1138 are awesome. I love the storm in the ball in THX-1138 but the sound of Arnie behind you loading his shotgun (as seen in the reflection of the logo) and then BOOM!. Ahhhh awesome.
edgecrusher
BLUE!...YOUR MY BOY BLUE!!
PSN ID: edgecrush33

Post by edgecrusher »

Burnzoire wrote:heh it's not closed at the back, and there is room for air above it. The salesmen tried to sell me another brand but it was taller and I knew I'd have issues with cooling then. Do you really think it'd overheat? I mean I've seen setups with the same amount of gap above the amp before. Hell, what about cabinets with doors etc?

As for the 360, there is HEAPS of space. If it's gonna go, it's gonna go *shrug*.
Wait til summer. I've got heaps of room for my amp and I still took off the doors for my cabinets. I was really suprised about the heat that came out of it in the warmer months. I dont wanna dish out 1k for another amp...well not yet :up:

Been spending a fair bit of time the last few weeks re-watching dvds/blu-rays because I got another sub, so now its a 5.2 setup and it fuckin rocks. Yesterday when I was getting a drink from the kitchen, the subs were making the glasses in there vibrate and thats in another room and the house is on a concrete slab. Gonna hire out all of the LOTR movies on blu-ray and have a sess I think, now that would fucking rock! :D
Everybody be cool.....You be cool