Home Theatre Thread

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!
XBL ID: Burnzoire
Steam ID: Burnzoire

Home Theatre Thread

Post by Burnzoire »

Hey tech heads and audiophiles. Looking to replace my home-theatre system. I currently have an old sony 'dream system' that is over 5 years old now. It's basically a dvd player with a built in receiver and 5.1 speakers to match. Cheap but effective. It has started doing odd things like getting stuck in standby mode. Plus I'm about ready to go the blu-ray.

I'm thinking of getting something similar to go with my Panasonic Viera 46" plasma. Panasonic have a blu-ray/receiver/speaker system for only $1200. I'm not sure if I should keep up the home theatre option or buy separate receiver, player & speakers. I'm pretty set on getting panasonic for viera link (one button power-on is priceless).

Will the all-in-one system be good enough? I just require TV + XBox 360, and that's not likely to change in the foreseeable future. The xbox currently goes to my TV via HDMI, and to the receiver via optical. I imagine it'd be similar for the panasonic? In fact my old one had no hdmi out so this would be an improvement. I think it also only had one optical in.

Is it much of a benefit going via a dedicated receiver instead? Obviously it is necessary with more peripherals - but is it worth it for someone like me? Looking at the specs, I see now obvious difference quality wise. I'm no audiophile so I don't require a fancy receiver with unobtanium plated caps :P It looks like the home theatre systems are going to save us a lot of money again, but I just want your thoughts before I commit. If I don't like what I hear I may get upset and quit the forums forever :D

The products I'm looking at:
SC-BT207W Blu-ray Home Theatre System with iPod Dock Currently Available
RRP: $1,319

Blu-ray Home Theatre System Available next month - improved speakers, wifi viera cast.
RRP: $1,199

7.1 Wireless Ready Rear AV Receiver Currently Available
RRP: $1,149 - PLUS standalone Blu-ray player PLUS speakers.
Last edited by Burnzoire on 17 May 2012 04:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD
XBL ID: AgOnNy
PSN ID: AgOnNy
Steam ID: AgOnNy

Post by AgOnNy »

The day I went a dedicated receiver and seperate speakers I took a step closer to heaven.
I ended up spending 2.5k on my setup in the end (saved almost that much though) and bloody happy with it.

Great thing is that it's something that will last for quite awhile and can just keep plugging new tech into it.
Blotto
Man Fairy
XBL ID: Blotto Otto
PSN ID: Blotts
Steam ID: Blotto_Otto

Post by Blotto »

yeah.. I cant say i'm a fan of those 'players with speakers kits'.....

Ags is right... dedicated reciever is the way to go.

can I ask why does it have to be panasonic?

what about something like this? http://www.sony.com.au/product/ht-ddw8500" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!

Post by Burnzoire »

Panasonic mainly because I can't stand having too many remotes. With viera link it's one button power on which doesn't sound like a big deal - but consider how many times you hit the power buttons on all of those remotes.... might sound lazy but it's more of a principal thing. I will always want to turn the receiver on, why must I always have to juggle remotes? Besides that, I'm impressed with the TV so I'd like to give their audio a go. It's a plus if it all matches too :)

I appreciate that standalone receivers are better if you need it, but for the price difference I'm not seeing much of an argument from you guys. It looks like all those extra inputs will just be collecting dust.

It seems like I'd be forking out 3x as much if I go seperate kits. That's a big deal... then down the track say I wanna get a new fangled purple-ray player, it's just going to make the aging receiver look out of place. May as well buy a new bundle and enjoy the new features that come with everything.

It's a tough call...
Last edited by Burnzoire on 22 Apr 2010 07:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

It's more the improvement in audio quality you get when you pickup a proper receiver and speakers designed and manufactured by speaker companies. Yes the added connections are a factor as well, but if the primary consideration is audio quality then there's little comparison.
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!

Post by Burnzoire »

I can appreciate better quality audio but I don't think it's going to add value to my life compared to the hole in my pocket. I'm not tone deaf, but the sony speakers sound great to me and they were bundled with the receiver. Not once have I ever felt disappointed with the sound quality or bass.
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!

Post by Burnzoire »

Blotto wrote:what about something like this? http://www.sony.com.au/product/ht-ddw8500" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Geezus christ, I could build a house with all of those bricks!
DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

They why are you posting :D .

Just kidding, seriously, I'd get a 'separates' arrangement. A friend recently got KEF 'eggs' $1200ish (I think!) with a $700ish Onkyo amp and it sounds flipping fantastic! ... and they're very physically inobtrusive speakers.

From memory ags picked up a similar arrangement not so long ago.
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!

Post by Burnzoire »

I was just after a reasons why spending 2 or 3x more is worthwhile. I have to convince the Minister of Finance before I can spend that much, and right now I'm still not convinced myself.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Burnzoire wrote:I can appreciate better quality audio but I don't think it's going to add value to my life compared to the hole in my pocket. I'm not tone deaf, but the sony speakers sound great to me and they were bundled with the receiver. Not once have I ever felt disappointed with the sound quality or bass.
That's cos you haven't had the pleasure of experiencing proper speakers. Those tiny main, surround and rears are shit. I don't give a stuff how good a sub is but you don't get true mid range with those combo kits.

My last stereo I had a great amp, 7.1 DTS but my speakers let me down. I had 2x10" mains with mids and tweets, a THX Active Sub with two 12" and 2x100watt amplifiers and the center and rears were these tiny things I got with some Technics midi system 15 years ago.

In a perfect set up you want you rears and center to be beefy. You dont want tinny sounds coming from the back and no bass coming from the center during action. There is a reason cinemas sound awesome and you can experience that too for less than you think. Buy smart and it will last you for 20yrs.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

Windows 7
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD
XBL ID: AgOnNy
PSN ID: AgOnNy
Steam ID: AgOnNy

Post by AgOnNy »

DjBigK wrote:They why are you posting :D .

Just kidding, seriously, I'd get a 'separates' arrangement. A friend recently got KEF 'eggs' $1200ish (I think!) with a $700ish Onkyo amp and it sounds flipping fantastic! ... and they're very physically inobtrusive speakers.

From memory ags picked up a similar arrangement not so long ago.
Yeah, I got the Mission M-Cube speakers (w Onkyo amp). Once you do it you'll know the difference. I've had many people comment on how good the sound is when watching movies and even tv.

It does sound like you've got your mind already made up though.... are you the real, true Pat? :D
Blotto
Man Fairy
XBL ID: Blotto Otto
PSN ID: Blotts
Steam ID: Blotto_Otto

Post by Blotto »

GreyWizzard wrote:Windows 7
:lol: wonder how long the Windows 7 jokes will go on for?
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Blotto wrote:
GreyWizzard wrote:Windows 7
:lol: wonder how long the Windows 7 jokes will go on for?
I dunno but I am sure we can keep updatingg it. :D
Pointy Cat
What Amazing!
What Amazing!

Post by Pointy Cat »

Burnzoire wrote:Panasonic mainly because I can't stand having too many remotes. With viera link it's one button power on which doesn't sound like a big deal - but consider how many times you hit the power buttons on all of those remotes.... might sound lazy but it's more of a principal thing. I will always want to turn the receiver on, why must I always have to juggle remotes?
Get a universal remote, a decent one which is programmable via PC, so you can setup activites and whatnot, not one of those dodgy supermarket ones. The Logitech Harmony remotes are alright, I use one, works well. It replaced about five remotes. I power everything up by pressing one button and everything is of a different brand.
DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

The friend I was talking about has KEF 2005.3s which cost $1400 with cables, and an Onkyo receiver that cost $700 (though he could have got it for roughly $100 less if he shopped around a little more). So you could get it for $2000 which is a steal IMO for the sound they put out.

It sounds absolutely amazing. Unbelievable the sounds that these little beauties produce. Great for movies, games etc, and very good for music also.

http://www.kef.com/gb/SurroundSound/kht/2000
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!

Post by Burnzoire »

Thanks guys. I'm not in a rush so I'll take a look at some other gear first.
ObSoLeTe
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: OBY83

Post by ObSoLeTe »

10.2 channel Full-HD flagship amplifier
lol $10.999 on the pioneer website

"Old But Not Obsolete" - A.Schwarzenegger
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

I dunno man, that screen is a little small. Have to sit awfully close to it.
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!

Post by Burnzoire »

t0mby wrote:I dunno man, that screen is a little small. Have to sit awfully close to it.
nah man, that's a 60" plasma. It's just a fucken big receiver!
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!

Post by Burnzoire »

Ok so after seeing the panasonic all-in-one setup I'm definitely not getting that! It just looked cheap and nasty. Yeah you told me so!

Went to harvey normal and had a look at the high end stuff. The wife doesn't like the big floorstanding speakers so we had the satellites demod to us. I wasn't impressed by the sound at all. My attention went to a pack of Jamo floorstanding speakers and after a demo even the wife understood how superior the sound was. The best part is that they were selling the 5.1 pack plus an onkyo receiver for $2000. Sounds like a real bargain considering the quality - what do you guys think?

Jamo S 506 HCS 3(w/ sub 250)

Don't have the model number of the Onkyo amp but it was somehting like this 5.2 model.
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!

Post by Burnzoire »

thoughts?
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

It's the weekend.
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!

Post by Burnzoire »

bah.. i thought you of all people would have some advice on the matter
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Meh not me. I'm still rocking my Pioneer surround system. It does the job. Not really interested in TruHD DTS and WTF ever other gimmicks are around ATM. When it breaks it will be replaced.