Post-Election NBN Thread

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Megaman
a bad sheriff
XBL ID: megaman 2k7
PSN ID: mm2k8

Re: Post-Election NBN Thread

Post by Megaman »

They projected 35,000 connections and have made 4000. That's not good.
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

Because they're passing houses slower than projected. >50% adoption of any new communications technology a few months after release is astounding.
Hercy
Makes poor choices in hats
XBL ID: Hercy

Post by Hercy »

Actually that's not right - it was just some lazy, unclear writing in most of the news articles about it. 18,200 houses have been connected and 4,000 have paid for a NBN plan. The 2,315 figure is the people using fibre optic and the remainder to get to 4,000 subscriptions is the wireless users.
Vzzzbx
Bob Brown’s Rainbow Cumrag
XBL ID: Fairlie Arrow
PSN ID: vzbxvzbx
Steam ID: vzbxvzbx

Post-Election NBN Thread

Post by Vzzzbx »

Jesus Hercy, you keep doing this "facts" thing.
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

Thank you for that, Hercy. I thought 50% adoption was way too high.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

With the way the economy is, I'm not surprised the contractors doing the work for the government are doing it slowly, they'll milk the government as much as they can. Government projections are worthless and they'll just keep throwing money at it to save face.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I'll just leave this here...

http://delimiter.com.au/2012/01/04/the- ... ny-abbott/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Megaman
a bad sheriff

Post by Megaman »

Talez wrote:Because they're passing houses slower than projected. >50% adoption of any new communications technology a few months after release is astounding.
Well NBN Co obviously don't agree with you - they projected to have 58,000 houses connected by June 2011 and of those they predicted 35,000 subscriptions (also by June 2011), so that's well above 50%. No one in the Government questioned whether this was achievable.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

It'll be a budget blow-out.

But don't worry the government is making it twice as expensive to study the sciences at uni.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

So the NBN will be available for me soon, stoked because I can't get normal adsl2 and have to pay shitloads having Telstra as my provider, so I will save money here.

Looking at iinet, they have options to use your current phone over fibre for $20 more or internet phone for $10 more... What should I do? I have no idea with this one
ObSoLeTe
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: OBY83

Post by ObSoLeTe »

sigh... my area got shafted, was supposed to start in February this year. Boo-Urns

"Old But Not Obsolete" - A.Schwarzenegger
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

Ooh... Next Thursday is the day, I'm kinda lucky because my area is the last around here to get FTTP, it's all FTTN after us.

I blew my load and went the 100/40 option with TPG, really don't need that but I don't give a shit.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

I pity the fools that can't get FTTP. And I hope they all voted for Big Tones.

*kisses fibre cable*

I wonder when houses for sale will start to list FTTP along with swimming pools and ocean views :lol:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Eat a dick Ambrose. :P

Totes jelly Jizz, enjoy!
Hercy

Post by Hercy »

The worst thing is that Labor seem to have adopted the FTTN policy now, so the NBN is dead.

Anyway, I've had an NBN FTTP connection for over a year now so gutless policy positions won't affect me directly.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Gutless is better than never going to be finished.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

In a time where everyone agrees spending needs to be cut yet at the same time want nothing to actually be cut, the NBN was an obvious target. I would personally love to have fibre straight to my home, who wouldn't?
Hercy

Post by Hercy »

"Everyone" except economists, international monetary policy organisations and the Reserve Bank who are urging infrastructure spending while borrowing rates are so low and labor is readily available.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

Ambrose Burnside wrote:I pity the fools that can't get FTTP. And I hope they all voted for Big Tones.

*kisses fibre cable*

I wonder when houses for sale will start to list FTTP along with swimming pools and ocean views :lol:
It's funny you say that because I was thinking the same thing, to some people having FTTP would be a big deal.

But I guess potential buyers tend to look at specific areas, and if you have FTTP, so does everyone else around you.

It sucks for those who will be stuck worth FTTN, I'd be pissed off... Not only is it slower, but you also pay the same
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

I'm pretty happy with my 100mbit cable, but docsis 3.1 would be nice.

http://www.multichannel.com/news/techno ... -31/388794" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know lots of Sydney has cable so I think this was their plan b vs FTTN in those areas.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

All of those suburbs might turn into nerd havens. Quick, set up some EBs and quirky video game bars.
Hercy wrote:"Everyone" except economists, international monetary policy organisations and the Reserve Bank who are urging infrastructure spending while borrowing rates are so low and labor is readily available.
I know you've held this opinion for a long time and have shared it here, which is why it stands out like dogs balls to me every time I see an economist say we have a spending problem. I'm not sure why Labor would also believe we've got to cut spending if the greater consensus is that we don't have to. Unless you're specifically referring to the NBN itself.
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

lestat wrote:I'm pretty happy with my 100mbit cable, but docsis 3.1 would be nice.

http://www.multichannel.com/news/techno ... -31/388794" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know lots of Sydney has cable so I think this was their plan b vs FTTN in those areas.
I've only got 35/1.2 Telstra cable but it's fantastic. Would love a better upload speed, but I'm not paying $20 a month for 100/2.4 speeds. Even 10 up would be great.
Megaman
a bad sheriff

Post by Megaman »

Madmya wrote:
Hercy wrote:"Everyone" except economists, international monetary policy organisations and the Reserve Bank who are urging infrastructure spending while borrowing rates are so low and labor is readily available.
I know you've held this opinion for a long time
Not sure he held that opinion when it came to the former Victorian Government wanting to build roads.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

:lol:
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Hercy

Post by Hercy »

That would have been a sick burn if I was saying that the East West Link shouldn't be built because we couldn't afford it. You'll find that most of the organised resistance against the road wanted the money redirected into public transport infrastructure.

Anyway, Glenn Stevens from the Reserve Bank was out again yesterday trying to get the government to spend on infrastructure, among other competition and tax reform:

http://www.theage.com.au/business/the-e ... j38hc.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Greater competition, improved infrastructure and a reform strategy that Australians can understand and support are just some of the changes the Reserve Bank of Australia has called for as it tries to stem a slide in the economy's potential growth. The commentary is a departure for the central bank, which is usually reticent about entering policy debates beyond its remit.

The central bank chief in June lamented a lack of productivity-enhancing infrastructure under construction in Australia and noted that funding wasn't the obstacle. "The impediments are in our decision-making processes and, it seems, in our inability to find political agreement," Stevens said.

The International Monetary Fund warned in June that the Australian economy's speed-limit - or the growth rate at which inflation starts to accelerate - could drop from above 3 per cent to 2.5 per cent. That would mean "significantly lower" gains in national income unless the government grasps the nettle on tax reform and increases infrastructure spending to boost productivity and demand.