Post-Election NBN Thread

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Re: Post-Election NBN Thread

Post by General Chaos »

That was the current comparison until Internode hiked their prices (thankfully grandfathering the old plans). Which is what I was getting at before Re: being gouged to fuck.

We can blame ACCC for making ULL more expensive than having an active land line. Then again that was always part of the plan to make NBN seem more attractive no doubt! ;)
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Yeah I'm using my grandfathered plan. I could save $6 a month if I changed to a new bundled plan but that involves me paying $40 upfront.

I'd never leave Internode no matter how poorly they treated me, battered ISP syndrome :(
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Yay fake Grandfather plan -get!

$10 hike on my so called grandfathered plan.

Apparently internode can't project for shit.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post-Election NBN Thread

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

mech wrote:See, I always figured even though Talez is a biased aggressive lefty, he still has half a brain. But this thread is proving me wrong.
If you keep citing left and right you're showing this topic up as another self interest promo vehicle. Aside from domestic party lines is there something inherently left wing about a national broadband network?
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

Yeah but, claiming the only reason you'd criticise it is because 'you're from The Australian' is.

Whilst I like the idea of the NBN, and even think it's Labor's crowning achievement and closest thing to a positive, the fact that we had to borrow ALL the money to build it is heinous. Especially after we blew almost the exact ticket price on 'stimulus' immediately before. LOL.

Let that sink in for a second. Actually think about it.

Then consider how off point it is to cry wolf about an $11b shortfall due to outdated assumptions from the libs. And they're not even in power. Who has the greater responsibility here?
-------------------------------------
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

Peppermint Lounge wrote:
mech wrote:See, I always figured even though Talez is a biased aggressive lefty, he still has half a brain. But this thread is proving me wrong.
If you keep citing left and right you're showing this topic up as another self interest promo vehicle. Aside from domestic party lines is there something inherently left wing about a national broadband network?
It's a monopoly paid for and controlled by the state?
Pat
The Fury

Post by Pat »

Last time I checked you could still get internet via a dozen or so other ISPs. If you want fttn or better there is nothing forcing you to use nbn. You could always wait for Telstra to build their own superior network...
mech

Post-Election NBN Thread

Post by mech »

Part of the process behind the nbn is dismantling any competitors.
mech

Post-Election NBN Thread

Post by mech »

And people may be able to resell it, but the core technology is a monopoly with anticompetitive practices to make it so.
Pat
The Fury

Post by Pat »

Which is the same mechanism that landed us with the post telecom market we have now.
And we do at least have a semblance of competition now. The same will happen once nbn co is inevitably floated.
mech

Post-Election NBN Thread

Post by mech »

Funny, the lines I use to have phone/Internet access were never paid for by the government.
Pat
The Fury

Post by Pat »

Telecom was a government owned monopoly once upon a time.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the government paid for pretty much all of Telstra's fixed-line infrastructure. You'd have to be living in a house less than five years old for it to not have any government money in the lines...
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

and let's not forget that it wasn't too long ago that if you wanted ADSL, you had to go through a Telstra DSLAM.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
westical
Lockyer's Lovechild
Lockyer's Lovechild
XBL ID: westical

Post by westical »

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/it-pro/ ... 1pj8b.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Federal Opposition Leader Tony Abbott has again slammed the government's $36 billion national broadband network (NBN) project as a waste of money after it was revealed only 4000 households had been connected to the network so far.

Of those 4000 just 2315 premises have begun using the NBN's fibre optic cables for communications.

The connection figures, released this week by the government-owned company set up to deliver the network, are well down on NBN Co's earlier projection of 35,000 connections in 2011.

That projection also contrasts with its roll-out numbers, with 18,200 homes and businesses lying along the fibre optic cable infrastructure laid down so far at a cost of $1 billion.

"The billion dollars that they have spent so far on the rollout works out at $250,000 per connection," Mr Abbott told Fairfax Radio today.

[...]
Tax dollars hard at work.
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Of those 4000 just 2315 premises have begun using the NBN's fibre optic cables for communications.
:oops:
Hercy
Makes poor choices in hats
XBL ID: Hercy

Post by Hercy »

Over half of connected premises signing up straight away seems pretty good. Sorry, I should say 'just 2315 of 4000' because then it sounds bad and suits a preconceived agenda.
Vzzzbx
Bob Brown’s Rainbow Cumrag
XBL ID: Fairlie Arrow
PSN ID: vzbxvzbx
Steam ID: vzbxvzbx

Post-Election NBN Thread

Post by Vzzzbx »

I'm jut gobsmacked at westical pulling himself away from News Ltd.
westical
Lockyer's Lovechild
Lockyer's Lovechild

Post by westical »

Which has pretty much the same article?
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

Tony Abbott has again slammed the government's
Of course he has, if he didnt, the big eared, budgy smuglling smarmy cunt has nothing else to say.....
Our fututre Prime Minster only cause the other is shitter than him, no other reason.....
Megaman
a bad sheriff
XBL ID: megaman 2k7
PSN ID: mm2k8

Post by Megaman »

Brisbane Times, that's not even a real newspaper!
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

It's always 1hr behind anyway
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

westical wrote:http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/it-pro/ ... 1pj8b.html
Federal Opposition Leader Tony Abbott has again slammed the government's $36 billion national broadband network (NBN) project as a waste of money after it was revealed only 4000 households had been connected to the network so far.

The connection figures, released this week by the government-owned company set up to deliver the network, are well down on NBN Co's earlier projection of 35,000 connections in 2011.

That projection also contrasts with its roll-out numbers, with 18,200 homes and businesses lying along the fibre optic cable infrastructure laid down so far at a cost of $1 billion.

"The billion dollars that they have spent so far on the rollout works out at $250,000 per connection," Mr Abbott told Fairfax Radio today.

[...]
Tax dollars hard at work.
Of course it only has 4000 subscribers. They keep forging ahead with this retarded 'bush first' policy and rolling it out in places that have never even heard of the internet. They should roll it out along my street. That's another thousand subscribers right there.
westical
Lockyer's Lovechild
Lockyer's Lovechild

Post by westical »

pilonv1 wrote:It's always 1hr behind anyway
Always?
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

Vzzzbx wrote:I'm jut gobsmacked at westical pulling himself away from News Ltd.
I'm more gobsmacked that the party of "business" and their cheerleaders don't understand the concept of marginal cost. Or that ports don't just magically appear the second you write the cheque.

Also, FYI, a quarter of that billion has been spent on creating new competitive backhaul links that weren't economically feasible for competitors.

The instant and massive drops in pricing for transit along these routes (that were previously monopolized by Telstra) has allowed third parties to implement their own DSLAMs in large country towns that have been passed over time and time again simply because of the untenable price of getting data back to the big smoke.

Hopefully the NBN will be able to duplicate most of Telstra's network to provide a competitive environment where there was none previously.