The Board Game thread (Modern board gaming)

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

The Board Game thread (Modern board gaming)

Post by Twiztid Elf »

So Reka was like 'You gotta check out this new board game I got'.
I went over and played Dominion, and it was so fucking awesome that I went out and bought my own copy.

This just opened the door, and with thanks to the GAF thread linked below, I've bought a couple more and I'm hooked.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=406418" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What is modern board gaming?
Let's start out with what it isn't: It isn't Monopoly, Clue, Risk, Scrabble, or any of the countless crappy licensed TV/movie tie-ins (except Battlestar Galactica). I love some of those games, and I'm happy to discuss them here, but many suffer from key problems that modern games try to avoid: (1) aimed at kids; (2) hastily and sloppily put-together with terrible aesthetics; (3) no concern for length (looking at you Monopoly and Risk); (4) heavily luck-dependent; and (5) little replayability once you've figured out the one or two strategies needed to win.
Modern games distinguish themselves from those and other faults of mainstream games that may have pushed people away from board gaming a long time ago. They focus on novel mechanics. They incorporate varying degrees of luck, but often in a more fun manner than simply dice v. dice (though there's certainly a fair sprinkling of dice). They try to keep every player involved and their endgames don't drag on forever (typical length is 45-90 minutes).
Some of these new board games, particularly from Rio Grande Games are just so well designed and so fun to play.
The ones I've got so far are quick to learn, fun to play, don't take forever to play a game, and have a hidden level of strategic play.

One's I've bought so far and recommend:
Dominion.
As far as I'm concerned, this is the king. So fun to play - yup - even for non-gamers.
Damn I hope this one comes to XBLA sooner or later.

Ticket to Ride.
Yeah, I know it's on XBLA, but you can't really play local multi player on XB.

Carcassonne
Again, I know this is on a million different game platforms, but there's noting like playing for real.

Games that I'm keen to pick up next:

Yeah, again I know I can play it on XB, but I want it for real!

Reka gave me a single player PC version of this, and I've been hooked.

This one gets all the hype and love from the community as one of the best.

Remake of the classic.

Other reading:

BoardGameGeek - the epicenter of board games.
http://boardgamegeek.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rio Grande Games
http://www.riograndegames.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RIGHTEOUS FURY
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Re: The Board Game thread (Modern board gaming)

Post by Cletus »

Twiztid Elf wrote: Carcassonne
Again, I know this is on a million different game platforms, but there's noting like playing for real.
I won one of our Ranch Christmas comps playing the LIVE version of this. Excellent game. I was also excellent.

I'll be looking this thread over again in the future because I need to replace a lot of old board games. Haven't bought a real(physical/actual) one in quite a few years.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Start with Dominion mate. I can't recommend it enough.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Bah. Forgot these two also.

GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

What is your take on card games? Things like Illuminati or Chez Geek? The more modern mature orientated games.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

I haven't played Illuminati, but I have watched it played, and it looked awesome.
Don't know the other one you mention.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

I played Illuminati, was excellent fun. I was a bit apprehensive at first because I'm not the biggest fan of card and board games. Is really good if you have a decent number of people.

I watched a game of Chez Geek, it looked like a lot of fun, but it was getting late into the night and I wasn't up for thinking.
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Ticket to Ride is brilliant. Wish I could play it more.
westical
Lockyer's Lovechild
Lockyer's Lovechild
XBL ID: westical

Post by westical »

These don't look very modern.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Played these last night.

I enjoyed Thunderstone more than Ascention.

Also picked this up today for $35.
A little bit simple, but a lot of fun. Co-operative game.
RIGHTEOUS FURY
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

This thread needs to stay alive.

I was meant to post in it last weekend...

Went to my friends house for some board games, was pretty good.

Played

Fluxx

It's a card game where it starts with no goal but a simple rule of pick up and put down. As you pick up cards you get goals and new rules. So you play a goal card and then try and get the goal on the card, but then someone else might put down a different goal and you have to try and get those cards, but then someone could put down a rule card changing the direction of the game or how many cards you can pick up or have to put down and maybe create a stipulation on end game. It's pretty easy to get into and it doesn't require too many people.

Bang!

Another card game, this one is set in the wild west. One person is the sheriff, another person is a renegade, and the others fill the roles of outlaws and deputies. The Sheriff is trying to kill the outlaws and renegades, the renegade wants to be come the sheriff and is out to kill everyone, the outlaws are just trying to kill the sheriff and the deputies are just there to confuse people as to who is who. It's a lot of fun, very simple, but it does require a few people to get the most out of it. It's a good game to have going while others are trying to set up a more convoluted board game...

Acquire

This is an awesome board game. It is like Monopoly... but actually enjoyable. I have no idea how Monopoly got bigger than this game. It was made in the early 60's.

It's all about building hotels and buying shares so that at the end of the game you are as rich as fuck. Really simple game too, the best way to describe it is monopoly and scrabble combined.

image of the board

If you can find it I say buy it, loved the crap out of it, and would play again.

Betrayal at House on the Hill

I enjoyed this one but was kind of thrown in the deep end. You are a group of people who have wandered into a spooky mansion, and you have to start exploring it trying to find a way out. Each character has stats based on speed, might, sanity and knowledge, which as you pick up and play event cards may go up and down. If a stat reaches zero you are dead. As you explore the mansion you also find omens, as you discover an omen you get closer and closer to a haunting event. When this occurs the person who fails the haunting event roll becomes the betrayer. It's then up to the other people in the house to track down and kill the betrayer, while the betrayer roams around the house trying to kill everyone else.

First game, and early in to it I became the betrayer. I had this totally sweet Banshee that I got to send around the house to attack people. It had some weird movement rules though... one role of the dice could have me only turning left, another role only turning right... complete BS... It was fun, but the game seemed to require a decent amount of people.

We also tried to play some space game... you were all on a space station trying to defend against attacks while keeping lasers online and enough power. The instruction manual was just stupid, it explained things in an odd order, and it just weird amounts of detail. So we spent maybe 40 mins on the manual got feed up and moved on to another game. It seemed interesting, and I would have liked to play it, but the people I was with weren't overly interested due to the length of time we spent fucking around trying to work out how to play it.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Wow, haven't updated this thread in a while.

Got this for Xmas:
Fucking awesome co-op game. Players versus the game.

Got these three for my birthday back in January:
One of the best. Always high ranking at BoardGameGeek.com

Good, but not in the same league as others listed in this thread.

Filled the void in my collection.

Picked this up this morning:
Just finished unpacking, inventory check and read the rule book, and it looks excellent.

Upcoming I'll probably be getting:
Nightfall

Plants Vs Zombies boardgame. It's still a fair way off and will probably be a lot more lightweight than I'm used to, but who could resist this?

Lately, my favorite three have been:
Pandemic. Far and away my favorite at the moment.
Ticket to Ride. Just so much damn fun to play.
Puerto Rico.
RIGHTEOUS FURY
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

I think I played citadels... is that the one where you uild buildings and each round you play as a different class, like architect, and warlord, and king, and assassin?

If that is the game I am thinking of, I really enjoyed it due to it's ease of pick up and play.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Yep, that's the one.
My complaints with it are:
- It's a little cumbersome with the two cycles of cards, the citadel cards and the profession cards.
- The turn cycle is a bit clunky.*
- Takes too long with a lot of players.*
- Analysis Paralysis often sets in with players during the drafting of characters.*
- Timing of profession perks during player turns*
* These would get better with repeat plays.
- The indirect relationships between your profession and your goal of building high cost citadels.

Sorry, it sounds like I'm bitching too much (and I am), as I do really like the game. It's just a little bit messy. Has really shined in two player for me.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

When I played it, everyone seemed to pick it up very quickly and the game progressed really well. The dude who owned it and usually wins got smashed which made me happy.

I think if everyone treats it a bit lighter it has a good feel to it. Probably one of the lighter card games I feel.
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

fuck those games...this is where it is at
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Update.
Hmmm, I've picked up quite a few lately (Nightfall, Battle Line, 7Wonders). Going to slow it down and not buy too much more, but I'm definitely tempted to get: Small world and a Dominion Expansion (either Seaside or Prosperity).

So anyway, 7 Wonders is the current darling of the community, rated very highly over at BoardGameGeek.com
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/68448/7-wonders" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I picked it up, and so far played 4 games of it, and oh yeah, this game is fucking awesome. Straight up into my group of favourites (Ticket to Ride, Pandemic, Puerto Rico, Battle Line and 7Wonders).
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

I attempting to find the new addition of Acquire. Almost bought the old version today, but we want the fancy board and real tile holders.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Games Paradise have it in stock. $40. You'll have it in a couple of days.
http://www.gamesparadise.com.au/acquire" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best Aussie websites for board games:
Games Paradise
http://www.gamesparadise.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MilSims
http://www.milsims.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For stuff that's harder to get in Aus (like Battle Line), I've ordered from FunAgain in the USA. Expensive, but good service and packing.
http://www.funagain.com/control/main" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Necro bump for the trooth!
:argh:
:P

Haven't done a lot of board gaming recently. Played a bit of King of Tokyo, and a little bit of Settlers of Catan.

Settlers of Catan is definitely the go-to game at my house. Last game my eldest boy ripped it up with a settlement on a 6 and 8 Wood production with another settlement on 2-1 port trade on Wood. There was no stopping him.

Latest pickups are:

Starcraft Risk
Yeah, yeah I know.....it's Risk. I couldn't help myself. Look at all those zergling and hydralisk miniatures!

Android Netrunner.
The current hotness on the internets. Haven't got to play it much yet. Waiting for Reka to move into his new joint.
RIGHTEOUS FURY
false-alarm

Post by false-alarm »

I'm jealous of your collection, Elf! As mentioned in the other thread I started (ignore it, I'll post in this one from now on), my interest in video games has waned over the past couple of years and been replaced with a love for board games. I've bought quite a few games in the last six or so months, and was hoping to get some recommendations for other games that people might be playing or have played.

Currently, I own:

- Carcassonne
- Dominion
- The Settlers of Catan (+ the 5-6 player extension)
- King of Tokyo
- Ticket to Ride
- Forbidden Island
- Lost Cities
- Munchkin

I've thrashed Carcassonne and Settlers with some close friends, and my partner and I have been playing Dominion more than anything else, lately. Munchkin still hasn't been played; the rules are poorly written and it seems kinda boring. Luckily, it was donated by a family member who thought the same, so I didn't have to waste money on it.

On the top of my 'Next to Buy' list:

- Dominion: Prosperity
- Pandemic

I've also been eyeing off Kingdom Builder. Anyone played that yet? People seem to either love it or hate it. Android: Netrunner also looks decent, although I prefer games that have the option of playing with more than 2 players. I'll await some impressions. Elf - did you end up buying any of the Dominion expansions?

Finally, I recently preordered a copy of Boss Monster. I didn't get in on the Kickstarter but they've just started taking international preorders.

GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

I played kingdom builder, seems to just elements of other games though (ticket to ride and settlers). Very enjoyable with a good group. Very easy to pick up too (play wise).
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Some of the games I listed earlier in the thread I didn't end up getting. I'll take some photos of my collection sometime. Maybe on the weekend.

For me, a big factor of board games is just sitting at a decent gaming table and the tactile nature of the stock. The smell, the feel, and the thinking and decision making. Throwing down some dice. Resource management. Etc, etc.
Particularly Ticket to Ride. The feel of those high quality plastic trains, the noise they make when placed/moved on the board, the finish on the board itself. Ticket to Ride is such high quality stock.
Such an awesome way to spend some downtime.

You have a good core collection there, and you've got most of what I would consider to be *must-haves*.
- Carcassonne
- Dominion
- The Settlers of Catan
- King of Tokyo
- Ticket to Ride

In a lot of ways, board gaming is the new MMO meta. Like WoW, a lot of people are getting a nice taste of it, then when going looking deeper for more options there isn't much depth.
You have awesome board games that you've listed, but when you go looking for more, there just isn't that much really top tier quality. Just be careful what you buy and read the rules before you plonk the cash down.
Also be careful reading boardgamegeek.com. There is a lot of GAF-style hype there that can be misleading.

7 Wonders is one of my favourites, scales well for lots of players, and plays in half an hour. There is some confusing symbology in it though, and it is hit and miss in opinions on the 'net so research first again.

If you like Forbidden Island, definitely pick up Pandemic. Pandemic is in my personal top 3 board games, and is always my go-to board game for solo play.

I have Dominion base set, and I also have Seaside and Prosperity expansions (which are apparently the most favoured two expansions).
I prefer Seasides over Prosperity. To me, Prosperity with the addition of Platinums and Colony just extends and lengthens the 'Big money' game where no-one bothers with any of the other cards and just climbs up the Silver, Gold, Platinum, Colony, Province ladder.
Seasides mixes it up a bit with Orange cards that hang around for the next turn.
I've also played Hinterlands, and I really like that expansion too.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

And Cletus, buy a real copy of Carc you cheap bastard! $40 ffs.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »