The Board Game thread (Modern board gaming)

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Re: The Board Game thread (Modern board gaming)

Post by t0mby »

Cletus wrote:Tonight, I was the owner of the most epic boardgame fail ever.

BSG, I have the ability to look at one player's loyalty cards. I did and misread his cards- did not see the You ARE a Cylon in his hand but read them all as You are NOT a cylon.

I caused the death of the human race.

Absolutely shocking. I'll never live it down.

I bet the person holding the cards was trying hard not to lose it. :rollin:
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

I also completely misread his confusion as well. And he was clearly confused.
Hercy
Makes poor choices in hats
XBL ID: Hercy

Post by Hercy »

Cletus didn't just happen to have that ability. He specifically chose that character for the second game in a row so he could have that once per game ability. And then when it came to the 15 second moment in the 4 hour game for him to use it he stuffed it.

Not that I mind, I was a cylon and won again.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

It might be less embarrassing if I was super drunk or heavily stoned but I can't use either excuse.

So embarrassed. So so embarrassed.
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!
XBL ID: Burnzoire
Steam ID: Burnzoire

Post by Burnzoire »

Sending me to the brig on the round when we would have won it was the clincher. Bloody funny though!
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

It was the jellcohol. I'm blaming that.
Hercy

Post by Hercy »

I won that.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Roughly 6 hours of Game of Thrones -the board game. I was just glad to reach a conclusion and not have monumentally fucked up the entire game.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

I got the Game of Thrones board game for my birthday from my parents but have yet to even open the box as we're still settling into the new place.

Impressions Cletus?
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Juz owns the game and I didn't host the evening.

It doesn't take long to get familiar with what is going on and the game mechanics although to begin with it is quite a bit to take in. Once you do it becomes quite an entirely interesting game. I made a deal with Hercy pretty early on to stay away from each other's castles. I played as the Tyrells and he the Baratheons. We held the deal until the end which meant Hercy won when either could have broken my agreement and taken a castle here or there. Next time I'll make an agreement based up to a point (like say until the other player has five or six castles - 7 is a win and it's game over) rather than lock into an agreement to the end. You need to make deals with people in the game. There is no rule to keep the deals, that's completely up to you. Burnz nearly had the game...6 castles under his Stark banner...an agreement with Tyrell and Baratheon while we all targeted Lannister and Greyjoy...but then he turned on Baratheon (Hercy). It was interesting because then he was surrounded by hostiles. His castle count dropped quickly. We Tyrells watched from Highgarden as we built an army, Winterfell lost to Lannister...Moat Cailin lost to Greyjoy..Stark pushed up against a wall and molested by two armies. Baratheon taking Harrenhal and ending the war of five houses.

I give it a big thumbs up. Really enjoyed it.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

You have a child now. Embrace your new life-long scapegoat. :D
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Yep...it'll be quite a while before I can host a boardgame night again.
Hercy

Post by Hercy »

Ambrose Burnside wrote:I got the Game of Thrones board game for my birthday from my parents but have yet to even open the box as we're still settling into the new place.

Impressions Cletus?
From what I've read online, the game is really designed for 6 players. It's playable with 5 (which is how we played) and broken with 3 or 4. It's not for the faint-hearted or casual gamer. I don't watch Game of Thrones and it didn't matter, I just had no extra meaning attached to the regions on the board like the other players who were all familiar with it.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Finally redeemed myself in BSG, though as possibly the worst Cylon to ever not be a human, I revealed by the third or fourth round. My ineptitude posing as the Admiral and spiking the skill checks was epic. And yet, the Cylons win again. First time as a cylon, first time I haven't felt the looming depression of knowing the robots have won well before the game is over. As a cylon you can relax knowing the game is won well before it's over.

Game of Thrones. Alliances were made. Alliances were broken. As a nice change to the books and tv show, rather than drop to their knees and allow their heads be removed, the Starks (Juzbuffa) simply rolled over onto their backs and exposed their soft white wolf puppy bellies, allowing the Greyjoys(Hercy) to stroll past dragging a sword, gutting every Stark. The Lannisters(me), strong, wealthy and influential but besieged on all sides. A thin agreement with House Greyjoy and House Tyrell(Burnz) kept me safe for a while, allowing me to take King's Landing from the Baratheons(Thomas). But the North was left wide open. Moat Cailin entirely ignored by the kings of the north. The Starks inexplicably left the North unattended to embark on a march across the map to engage the Lannister army, with the goal being simply to engage the Lannister army. In hindsight I could have forecast my own demise. The Lannisters held Harrenhall so we were doomed from there. But Hercy paid the iron price for the North. The honour bound Starks with their bloated pride and poor alliances fell to the soulless Iron Born who then held a Kingsmoot at Winterfell but everyone skipped that part because it was boring, involved a heap of characters we'd never heard of and seemed to have nothing to do with the story.
Raven

Post by Raven »

Necroing this thread to see if anyone is interested in this:

http://con.meeples.org.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Not for me. We have a bit of a group and we each host throughout the year (by coincidence there's one on tonight). Not that we're not open to people joining us. But like online gaming you tend to have a group. I like my group. It's held together pretty well considering the utterly deceitful games we often choose to play.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

As the threads been bumped, I'll make a couple of recommendations.

One Night Ultimate Werewolf
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1479 ... e-werewolf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This has been a huge hit with almost everyone I've played it with. Plays out very quickly 10 minutes. A huge amount of 'one-more' factor.
Lots of laughs.

and
Camel Up
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/153938/camel" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Winner of Board Game of the Year. Really tightly designed game. Teach kids to gamble!
RIGHTEOUS FURY
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Cletus, we can have a board night to coincide with The Force Awakens weekend?

:t0mby:
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Probably difficult to time it. Some people are away and so on. I'd say probably not. Just because of the time of year.
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

Camel Up looks awesome, and it's called Camel Up. I think I'd like to try some of these modern board games but I'm not convinced any of my friends would. I can see it getting awkward, like every game of D&D I've ever participated in.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

most of our group are videogamers so that might help.

We played GoT the Boardgame, King of Tokyo with expansion, I can't remember the name of the one Burnzoire brought but I think it was Japanese.. a young girl's journey from Milan to Minsk or something like that...nice game. 2 Xwings vs 4 Tie Fighters over the Deathstar which I enjoyed. We like to play a variety of games over a night ranging from epic long games to quick and short ones. We just need to learn that you cannot start BSG much after 8pm if you want to get home before 3am.
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!

Post by Burnzoire »

Tokaido (east sea path). It's a lovely relaxing game. Pretty much the opposite to Game of Thrones.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

I quite liked it. It is pretty relaxing. I'm certainry rooking forward to praying it again. What?
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!

Post by Burnzoire »

:lol:
Ambrose Burnside
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/n ... rebellion/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:shock:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)