Deadwood Appreciation thread

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Deadwood Appreciation thread

Post by Cletus »

I'm going through what I estimate to be my fifth full run through the series.

Every time I sit through it more and more of the dialogue becomes crystal clear. The monologues take on clearer meaning. It's a complicated dialogue a lot of the time. For that reason I think it makes it easier to understand when you already know what they're talking about. So for each new run through, I get more out of it. I see deeper into Swearengin. Things about E.B Farnham becomes clearer on multiple views. I'm currently up to the part where Andy Crane stabs Sy Toliver in the gut. I love the turn around in Andy Crane.

Friends have "borrowed" all three of my box sets. Nobody admits to having them. Nobody has returned them. They've been gone for over a year. Nicole just got me the Deadwood collectors box cheap from JB I think. All three seasons in a wooden box with shot glasses and playing cards and gambling chips.

If you haven't seen Deadwood, you really really must. If you haven't seen it in a while, watch it again.

Ian McShane steals every scene. He's amazing. I don't think there will ever be a role so perfect for him. Al Swearengin might be the best character in a series I've ever seen. He'd be my all time favourite so far.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Post by BruceCamblzChin »

+1, maaaad love for Deadwood. Brilliant show.
lubes

Post by lubes »

+1 awesome show... one of my favourites, if not my favourite
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Here's a heads up. Look around and you'll find the poker edition of the series for around 100 bucks up.

$69 At JB
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Post by BruceCamblzChin »

Fucken madness on these DVD prices recently, I will post some deals I have seen here coz it prob doesnt warrant its own thread.

Big W has each season of The Wire (The best ever US cop show from HBO) for 25 dollars each, that is a solid 12 hours of entertainment each season and it is a fantastic show.

On the weekend I picked up two seasons of Masters of Horror (a Showtime horror show , kinda Twighlightzone-ish, with a mini-movie from a top horror director each week, we're talking John Carpenter, Joe Dante, Tobe Hooper, Dario Argento all gievn carte blanche here) also 25 dollars each, its loaded with extras, fucken MAD price.
lubes

Post by lubes »

BruceCamblzChin wrote:Big W has each season of The Wire (The best ever US cop show from HBO) for 25 dollars each, that is a solid 12 hours of entertainment each season and it is a fantastic show.
Sweet, thanks for the heads up. Another awesome show
Pat
The Fury

Re: Deadwood Appreciation thread

Post by Pat »

Started this show today. Watched the first 4 episodes (bought all 3 series on cletus' advice last week).

Holy fuck.

Incredible series right off the bat, and ep4 in particular. What the fuck!
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Going to be difficult to talk to you while you're going through the series.

Just by coincidence, the latest episode of The Office (U.S) has Timothy Olyphant (Seth Bullock) appearing as a new sales person poached by Michael Scott for Dunder Miflan. He doesn't call anyone a cocksucker though so you need to squint to pick him.
edgecrusher
BLUE!...YOUR MY BOY BLUE!!
PSN ID: edgecrush33

Post by edgecrusher »

Deadwood is simply fucking awesome. One of the best tv series ever made. Al Swearengen is one of the best characters in tv series history. Everything from the set, costumes, dialogue and actors in it, it simply doesnt miss a heartbeat. I would of loved to see a movie come out after the 3rd series to tie it up, but it wasnt to be.

I too, had lost the deadwood series to friends for awhile but I eventually got it back. ABC2 had just finished Series 1 on Tuesday nights and it was good to see that they didnt cut anything from the show. For those who havent seen it, get it, buy it as well as a shit load of red bulls because you'll end up watching ep after ep and being an hour long, it'll soon hit 5am in the morning.
Everybody be cool.....You be cool
Pat
The Fury

Post by Pat »

I finished watching the first series last night. Amazing show, completely absorbing writing and every episode is a lot to get through. Will warrant repeated viewings to get everything.

Two deaths in particular were incredibly well done, but at the same time completely tragic and it makes me wish it didnt come to that in either case. The two I'm thinking of should be quite obvious.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

I'll admit that one of those deaths, the latter, makes me cry almost every time. It hints at Swearengin's depth.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Absolutely one of the best TV shows ever - up there with The Wire as one of my favourite TV shows ever. I watched the full series in under week and will buy it down the track to watch again. Criminal they didn't renew it for a new season.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Pat
The Fury

Post by Pat »

Finished series 2 last night.

Many people died in that episode. :shock:
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Did you finish season three yet, Patrick?
ObSoLeTe
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: OBY83

Post by ObSoLeTe »

awesome fucking show, one of the best

"Old But Not Obsolete" - A.Schwarzenegger
Megaman
a bad sheriff
XBL ID: megaman 2k7
PSN ID: mm2k8

Post by Megaman »

edgecrusher wrote:I would of loved to see a movie come out after the 3rd series to tie it up, but it wasnt to be.
It's out now!!! :nana:
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Loved it.
edgecrusher
BLUE!...YOUR MY BOY BLUE!!
PSN ID: edgecrush33

Post by edgecrusher »

Got the movie but dont wanna watch it until I've rewatched the all seasons. I hope the movie does it justice.
Everybody be cool.....You be cool