Smartphone advice

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Re: Smartphone advice

Post by pilonv1 »

Pariah wrote:Image

:lol:
:rollin:
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

edgecrusher wrote:time for a smartphone! I dont want a fucking iphone. I've heard some good things about HTC phones, anyone got any recommendations?
Hmmm. If you don't have an iPad or iPod Touch, and you don't mind spending the money, I would heavily recommend an iPhone. The apps and games are far, FAR beyond what is available on Android. A hatred of Apple (I'm guessing?) is no reason to hamstring your customer experience.

Having said that, I do have an iPad, so I got a much cheaper phone (Samsung Galaxy Ace), and I've been VERY happy with it. If you don't care about the apps/games and you don't want to spend a bomb, the Androids are fucking excellent for phone/messaging/planner functionality.
Vzzzbx
Bob Brown’s Rainbow Cumrag
XBL ID: Fairlie Arrow
PSN ID: vzbxvzbx
Steam ID: vzbxvzbx

Smartphone advice

Post by Vzzzbx »

aaahahahahaha. Get a Galaxy S II, if you're happy to take a risk with Samsung build quality. Or wait for the III.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Pffft lack of games. Mobile games are shit anyway. All you need is emulators which you can easily get on Android. Even a PSX emulator, just load on FF7 and you're set.

But yeah, Galaxy S2 is shit hot, I'd be more inclined to wait for S3 details though.

P.S. Elf the iPhone hatred goes beyond a simple hate for Apple, it's the way they force you to use their phone as they'd like. I understand this is also a good thing in that it ensures quality but that's not enough for everyone. I despise the fact I have to use iTunes for starters.
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Post by GeneraL CyberFunK »

Yeah I love that I have ff7 on my phone ... Be great to have time to play it... But I have multiple emulators and in turn countless games at my disposal on my Sensation XL.
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

Madmya wrote:Pffft lack of games. Mobile games are shit anyway. All you need is emulators which you can easily get on Android. Even a PSX emulator, just load on FF7 and you're set..
WTF... emulated game without decent controls vs built from the ground up mobile game designed around the platform... it's a no-brainer here. Mobile games might be shit on Android, but they're awesome on iOS.
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

the wife and I were iPhone users.

we tried new phones for a while, my wife HATED her galaxy S as it locked up constantly and wasn't user friendly... then she smashed the screen, expensive to fix, my contract was up so I went for an iphone 4s and gave it to her.
The build quality is fucking miles better than her samsung, the screen is so clear and sharp which makes gaming on the thing an absolute joy compared to my windows phone and her samsung... and I kinda forgot what we were missing in regards to apps and games, I went out and bought an ipod touch.

go for an iphone if you can afford it, I don't like apple but it's a great device... they just need to update iOS, looking old now.
fuck android.
edgecrusher
BLUE!...YOUR MY BOY BLUE!!
PSN ID: edgecrush33

Post by edgecrusher »

Twiztid Elf wrote:
edgecrusher wrote:time for a smartphone! I dont want a fucking iphone. I've heard some good things about HTC phones, anyone got any recommendations?
Hmmm. If you don't have an iPad or iPod Touch, and you don't mind spending the money, I would heavily recommend an iPhone. The apps and games are far, FAR beyond what is available on Android. A hatred of Apple (I'm guessing?) is no reason to hamstring your customer experience.

Having said that, I do have an iPad, so I got a much cheaper phone (Samsung Galaxy Ace), and I've been VERY happy with it. If you don't care about the apps/games and you don't want to spend a bomb, the Androids are fucking excellent for phone/messaging/planner functionality.
Its just a fucking phone, games dont interest me on a mobile or a shitload of apps. NBA app yes. Everyone keeps telling "what you dont have a iphone? why not?, you need to get one". If i've gone so long without a iphone i'm sure i can survive :lol:
Everybody be cool.....You be cool
mech

Post by mech »

If that's the case why get a smartphone?
edgecrusher

Post by edgecrusher »

I'm gonna get a decent plan and that comes with a smartphone. They are still good phones without using them for games or a shitload of apps.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

If that's the case why get a smartphone?
edgecrusher

Post by edgecrusher »

so smartphones are only good for games and apps?? If thats the case then half of Australia shouldent have one
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Correct but in answer to your first post, buy any HTC smartphone. They're always good and you'll like Android. Far less apps that you won't be downloading anyway and won't be using on your smartphone that you only use as "just a fucking phone".

I've used HTC phones since they were called O2 and making the XDA. They make good phones.

Anyway you can probably help me. I need a new calculator and have been looking at buying an Alienware laptop. I don't need it to run games or movies or even browse the internet but I might as well get something good if I'm buying a new calculator. What Alienware laptop should I buy?
edgecrusher

Post by edgecrusher »

If the new calculator was the same price as a Alienware laptop then why the fuck not :D
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

For the record I recently switched to iPhone after many years of happy HTC Windows Mobile use. It was 2 dollar app that was the decider. Cut / Copy and Paste in my calendar. Had it for years on Windows Mobile and none of the new phones have the feature now. Without it I'm screwed. So apps can play a very important role in your end experience. Your decision really should be around what apps you might want. In the end, that's what the smartphone is for. You might as well lock yourself into the apps that appeal to you most or will serve you best.

I was not keen on going to Apple but now that I'm here, I don't regret it. Camera is awesome good. Found a few good free games and a few I've paid for. Some clever apps that overlay the view of the night sky and name stars and planets wherever you point the phone. Even those below the horizon. GPS apps. Camera apps. Apps that let you really tool around with photos. Once you have the option, you'll use it regardless of whether you choose ios or Android.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Smartphone advice

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

I quite like my Android tablet and understand the freedom and openness I have but it's nowhere near iOS and Apple regardless of how closed Apple might be perceived to be. Holding on to that point when the Apple experience is so much better isn't rational. People are allowed to be irrational though. I know many pleasant, irrational people.
mech

Post by mech »

Haha well put.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Android in the tablet space still has a way to go to match Ipad, the apps especially just aren't as polished. In the phone the space it's pretty much equal these days, the quality of apps on android and variety is up there with IOS now, there is so much form factor variety though on android and that's important I think.

But I understand the frustration of edgecrusher, manufacturers are focusing so much on smart phones that the quality feature phone segment has been neglected and the options now are pretty crap, especially when providers are ramming mostly smart phone plans down your throat. Your kinda forced now to get a smart phone to get something decent.
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

http://www.cnet.com.au/huawei-launches- ... m?feed=rss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chinese OEM Huawei is claiming that its Ascend P1 S smartphone is the "world's slimmest", slinking past Motorola's super-slim Razr, with a chassis of 6.68mm at its slimmest point.
-------------------------------------
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Post by GeneraL CyberFunK »

Indeed... Android still haven't hit their stride with tablets but given how things are progressing I reckon end of 2012 early 2013 and they will be on par or ahead of apple... Well for what I like anyway.

With this said... My iPad is about to be given a reprieve in that I won't be using numbers for much longer. Have had a developer build me an online booking system and soon to have a web based programming template for exercise. If it works the way I envision it... The iPad will be perfect... Slow and jittery as all fuck... But perfect for what I want to do with it.

I liked the look of the Samsung series 7 slate but windows still has a way to go before it meets the performance levels set out by apple and android Tablets feel.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

lestat wrote:Android in the tablet space still has a way to go to match Ipad
I dunno. I think Android (3.x & 4.x) tablets and the iPad are worlds apart. The form factor is different by default and the interfaces are really nothing like each other. Android tablets are better suited to media playback while the iPad is better for ebooks and work type stuff.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

itch wrote:Image
http://www.cnet.com.au/huawei-launches- ... m?feed=rss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chinese OEM Huawei is claiming that its Ascend P1 S smartphone is the "world's slimmest", slinking past Motorola's super-slim Razr, with a chassis of 6.68mm at its slimmest point.
Claims like this are annoying - you could equip a phone with a knife blade and promote that it's only 32 microns thick at its slimmest point...
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

unfnknblvbl wrote:
lestat wrote:Android in the tablet space still has a way to go to match Ipad
I dunno. I think Android (3.x & 4.x) tablets and the iPad are worlds apart. The form factor is different by default and the interfaces are really nothing like each other. Android tablets are better suited to media playback while the iPad is better for ebooks and work type stuff.
I was referring to fluidness in the UI, maturity of apps etc. The tablets I've played with are just lacking the polish that Ipad has, I agree both are trying to achieve different things with the screen form factor. Plus IPad2 still has one of the best gpus going around, overall the hardware is better than the tegra2 based android tablets flooding the market, the thing that lets Ipad down is the low res screen which will probably be rectified with ipad3.
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

unfnknblvbl wrote:
Claims like this are annoying - you could equip a phone with a knife blade and promote that it's only 32 microns thick at its slimmest point...
I think it's a noteworthy phone. Roughly S2 level quality, probably affordable...
-------------------------------------