Smartphone advice

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Re: Smartphone advice

Post by jizzlobber »

I have never had hardware buttons on a phone wear out personally, but I guess it would never happen with software buttons.
I would rather not have to worry about making them re-appearing especially when I want to do something simple and quick like go back in a web browser... the black strip is still there I assume as a home for the HTC logo, there's the perfect spot to have then permanently (LIKE the m7).

I mean, that is the sole reason why they made the screen taller, so why not get rid of the black bar and keep the phone size down? Stick the logo somewhere else

it may sound not picky, but my wife's m7 makes a lot more sense.

as for the camera, I get people want to put their selfies and deserts on instagram but I'm not interested in that, it's nice to have a decent camera in your pocket at all times just in case, the m8 camera doesn't give you a photo with enough detail and sharpness to do anything with other than social media sharing, and I think some of the articles and comparisons I read online were very misleading.

The buttons are a minor inconvenience... the camera is the phones biggest downfall.

on another note... does anyone have the dot view case?
I'm tempted, looks really cool.
thoughts/ impressions?
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

The search button on my original Desire stopped responding and my friend's iPhone home button crapped out. The M7 was borked in that you had to double tap the multi tasking button twice to effect some actions. That said, I've never had an issue with the layout because I've been with Android since Eclair and it has gotten a lot better. Lollipop looks like the duck's nuts too.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

jizzlobber wrote:I have never had hardware buttons on a phone wear out personally, but I guess it would never happen with software buttons.
I would rather not have to worry about making them re-appearing especially when I want to do something simple and quick like go back in a web browser... the black strip is still there I assume as a home for the HTC logo, there's the perfect spot to have then permanently (LIKE the m7).

I mean, that is the sole reason why they made the screen taller, so why not get rid of the black bar and keep the phone size down? Stick the logo somewhere else

it may sound not picky, but my wife's m7 makes a lot more sense.

as for the camera, I get people want to put their selfies and deserts on instagram but I'm not interested in that, it's nice to have a decent camera in your pocket at all times just in case, the m8 camera doesn't give you a photo with enough detail and sharpness to do anything with other than social media sharing, and I think some of the articles and comparisons I read online were very misleading.

The buttons are a minor inconvenience... the camera is the phones biggest downfall.

on another note... does anyone have the dot view case?
I'm tempted, looks really cool.
thoughts/ impressions?
I've got the dot view case. It is cool, but it's a bit of a gimmick. If you're all for phone cases, and you don't mind spending a lot of money on one, I'd recommend it. I'd probably recommend YouTubing some demos first. The good thing is that the software controlling it gets updated by HTC. So it's current functionality is quite different from when it started. The best thing about it is that it looks pretty cool. Some people will comment on it too.

As for photos... it's good enough for me but there's always something better. I could understand how going a step backwards would be much harder to swallow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Madmya on 21 Oct 2014 03:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Dot View looks very cool but the case is not very well designed from what I have seen of it. Many reviews I've watched go on about how it is difficult to fold over when using the phone one handed. Still, looks cool and like Madmya says, the templates are constantly being upgraded. Loving the new direction HTC have taken - they seem a lot more proactive about update and they will be the first manufacturer to upgrade to L in January.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Yeah true that, it's a bitch to use one-handed.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

No way around it unless they re-design the hinge to fold back over itself. Still, it is a really cool accessory. I went with form in the end and got an Otterbox Commuter case. If I had my time again though I'd buy an orange case from this maker -

http://www.urbanarmorgear.com/products/ ... htc-one-m8

Not quite in the same league as an Otterbox but I like the design and strangely the colour :|
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

Oh man, that's one ugly case! :)

imo of course

there are some cheap knock offs of the dot view on eBay, might give one of those a shot
Pointy Cat
What Amazing!
What Amazing!

Post by Pointy Cat »

After holding out as long as I can with my 4S, iOS8 has made me too frustrated with the thing and it's time for a new phone. I like the look of the Nexus 6, going from a small phone to a giant phone will be amusing. Does anyone know of a major reason why I shouldn't get a Nexus 6? Price aside and also keeping in mind that I'm far from a fan of Samsung phones.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Lack of external storage? Size as well, going from a 4S to a 6 inch Android device will be interesting. The Nexus 6 looks pretty sweet though, very few drawbacks
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

I think I'm probably going to move from my Lumia to a Nexus 6. There's no Lumia coming that is interesting to me sadly. I would have liked an updated Nexus 5, which is a beautiful phone.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

Heh Microsoft needs to show something cool, the 930 is a nice looking phone but it's internals don't mean much as the OS is smooth with mid range specs anyway, and there are no apps which require the grunt.

so what you have is a phone with similar performance to other lumias, it isn't enough... and obviously the camera isn't as good as the 1020s, where is the next 1020?

I love Windows phone, but it just isn't happening
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

Saw the dot view case on eBay for $30 with free post, will try it out.

I love the idea, but that flap better not shit me :)
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

jizzlobber wrote:Heh Microsoft needs to show something cool, the 930 is a nice looking phone but it's internals don't mean much as the OS is smooth with mid range specs anyway, and there are no apps which require the grunt.

so what you have is a phone with similar performance to other lumias, it isn't enough... and obviously the camera isn't as good as the 1020s, where is the next 1020?

I wouldn't mind the 930 if it had Glance, but it would still be a 12 month old phone.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

jizzlobber wrote:Saw the dot view case on eBay for $30 with free post, will try it out.

I love the idea, but that flap better not shit me :)
It will. But I guess on the plus side you can simply take the phone out of its case when you need to. It just pops out and back in easily. I think it's worth $30, good find.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

jizzlobber wrote:Heh Microsoft needs to show something cool, the 930 is a nice looking phone but it's internals don't mean much as the OS is smooth with mid range specs anyway, and there are no apps which require the grunt.

Eh? You know your Top end HTC comes in WP 8.1 format and the 930 is arguably better hardware wise?

I'm not big on the 930 either btw. An 830 would be a more suitable upgrade from a 920 and then you either go 1520 like a boss or wait for the 1020 replacement.

I guess that is the crux of it. Ramping specs doesn't mean a great deal in WP land so people will go elsewhere to get their next fix.

Apps are still a "problem" too.
Seraph
The only seraph on the internet.
XBL ID: Seraphcon V

Post by Seraph »

Scullibundo wrote:What are you talking about with no timestamps, Seraph, swipe left.
First of all, I'm swiping left right and centre, no timestamps coming up.
Secondly, how do I make it always have the timestamp there, rather than having to swipe to see it?
Third, does swiping let me use the phone as a mass storage device?
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

General Chaos wrote:

Eh? You know your Top end HTC comes in WP 8.1 format and the 930 is arguably better hardware wise?

I'm not big on the 930 either btw. An 830 would be a more suitable upgrade from a 920 and then you either go 1520 like a boss or wait for the 1020 replacement.

I guess that is the crux of it. Ramping specs doesn't mean a great deal in WP land so people will go elsewhere to get their next fix.

Apps are still a "problem" too.
yeah the lack of apps is an issue, every time I see something advertised it's in the ios and android store only, for example the companion app for destiny, MS can't even get them (don't know if they tried) to make an app for wp... then there's a general lack of news, updates take soo long to come out, felt like I was being left behind.

wp as an phone os is as good as it gets imo, especially the recent improvements and additions, but in general it just ain't happening... I would love the m8 for Windows phone with more apps and games, and a Nokia camera if course.
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Lack of apps isn't an issue for me, in that I can do everything I want with WP8. If I wanted apps I'd just get an iPhone

The late updates thanks to Telstra and small quirks with the OS (in-laws use WhatsApp and I can't turn the toasts off which kill my battery) in addition to the uninspired hardware of late are driving me away.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Unbranded dev preview ftw!
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

I'm too lazy
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

Goodbye Nokia hello Lumia. I know that's a few days old but it's weird to think that the name is getting retired.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Oh wow, the dot view automatically changed for Halloween. Very cool.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

Mine didnt
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

Oh yes it did... Looks rad!
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

It's actually changed. Last night it was a dancing skeleton, today it's a pumpkin.

Edit: Oh no, when it's charging there's a dancing skeleton. When it's not - pumpkin. Prefer the skeleton.