Smartphone advice

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

mech
Phase 3: Profit!
Phase 3: Profit!

Re: Smartphone advice

Post by mech »

So I got my first non-Apple smartphone today - Windows Phone, a Nokia Lumia 520. It was $29 (!!!) with no contract (but locked to AT&T). I plan to use it as my skype landline.

Gotta say, for such an underpowered phone it is pretty amazing. So fast and responsive, and I love the layout of Windows Phone 8. Great apps and features included too. Such a shame Microsoft missed out here - if they had a more robust app store I feel they'd be in such a better position and probably have a big chunk of the market. Got there too late I guess :(
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

Yeah, the Lumia is a cool phone. It will be interesting to see if MS can do anything with the brand now that they own it.

I'd love the store to have more apps but I guess that increases devs production costs. You'd have to start saying goodbye to the 99c market.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

I still think wp8 shits on everything else, it just misses out on way too many apps and probably flagship phones... HTC came to the party but it's a bit late, nothing decent from Samsung and even Nokia stuff has dried up.

I'm missing the os and cortana.
And offline maps
And people hub
And wireless charging
Etc
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

People hub, wireless charging and live tiles will be the things I miss too.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

I've seen the 520 at similar prices over here btw, people are buying them to use as mp3 players, GPS units etc

When you think of it like that it's amazing value, offline here maps is fantastic.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Windows phone 10 to be shown in 2 weeks. Windows phone is great because I feel is strikes a good balance between openness and a consistent/optimised experience. Luckily for my needs all the apps I used on android are here but because of the low market share it does get apps much later or never vs apple/android.

This is where I hope windows 10 and unified app store will fix that issue, providing a great audience and incentive for developers to port their warez. Also Full dx12 support will be nice for future games on the platform.

I expect to see a flurry of hardware announcements come W10 launch, even the possibility of a intel based flagship.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

Problem is there are even less apps on the Windows store, I'd be surprised if it improves with Windows 10.

Even If there is a unified so store it'll just be full of flappy bird and candy crush knock offs
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Nah, the latest thing is GBA game emulations.
MiNiStRy
Occasionally Overlooks Gravity.
XBL ID: MiNiStRyS
PSN ID: MiNiStRy
Steam ID: MiNiStRyS

Post by MiNiStRy »

Yeah got a cool one on my iPad.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Quick view of the Windows Store or whatever it is called.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

jizzlobber wrote:Problem is there are even less apps on the Windows store, I'd be surprised if it improves with Windows 10.

Even If there is a unified so store it'll just be full of flappy bird and candy crush knock offs
The whole apps thing is overrated imo, most are just glorified web pages and windows has real games to not bother with smart phone pay to win games.

I got an ipad recently for the kids to primarily use, can't see anything of real value I'm missing out, it's good for the kids though because they do have a lot of education touch based apps on there. I still find my w8.1 transformer much better when it comes to browsing and it works seamlessly accessing my shared drives/network. I find it disgusting how archaic the child controls/user account restrictions are in IOS, which is surprising considering ipads are being used by schools now, hence why I got them one.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

My poor old lumia 1020 has been playing up lately, can't afford another "flagship" device and I will only use a windows phone... Went with the lumia 640.

Telstra is selling this phone for $140, and they are throwing in a set of monster DNA headphones.

I'm fucking stoked, this is a very capable phone for the price, the screen is much better than my 1020s, no probs with games and shit.
Windows 10 is pretty much good to go now, looks fantastic.

The headphones were a surprise, I've never owner pricey cans... These are going for at least as much as I paid for the phone!

Damn good buying, all that for $140
Apparently its $30usd during the black friday sales
That is insane!!

Fuck you all, love windows phone!!
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

GreyWizzard wrote:Quick view of the Windows Store or whatever it is called.

I see Nintendo's mobile strategy has kicked off.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
F for Fake
XBL ID: Thread Killer
PSN ID: Cool_-_Z
Steam ID: Bell end

Post by F for Fake »

Would anyone recommend Windows 10 on a phone?

I'm an android man but going to buy my old man a new phone, as they are shutting off the 2g network heh.
He only needs a phone for calls, doesnt do anything else, but I figured being a smartphone it would be cool if he could control his PCs music with it. There doesn't seem to be a remote app for windows media player or groove music :(, so I fgure the next best thing is a Windows 10 phone to go along with his Windows 10 laptop. Maybe get some easy remote desktop action going?
Thing is, are they are c**t to use? They look like a dogs breakfast. I just wanna know I can access settings etc like turning off the data because he won't have any. Do I have similar flexibility like android?
Mavy
XBL ID: Mavy
PSN ID: iwantalogin

Post by Mavy »

You can get remote desktop on Android too. Apart from a windows 10 phone that supports continuum you're not getting any less windows connectivity with Android.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

even Microsoft have all but given up on Windows Phone. All of their decent apps are on Android and iOS these days. In all honesty, your dad would be better served by an iPhone or a Nexus. That way, when time comes to upgrade in a few years, he probably won't have to learn something new - you may as well save yourself the pain now while you can!
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
F for Fake
XBL ID: Thread Killer
PSN ID: Cool_-_Z
Steam ID: Bell end

Post by F for Fake »

unfnknblvbl wrote:even Microsoft have all but given up on Windows Phone.
lol already? I thought with 10 it was all good now.
Cheers, will look grab some cheapo android.
pilonv1
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

The OS is awesome but there's no support. My old man has a basic android phone and it's fine for him, couldn't recommend WP to anyone these days
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

Yeah I was the biggest WP10 fanboy around, I love the OS and still think it trounces the others but the app situation is dire, when I was last using one things were worse than ever with no signs of things turning.

I also couldn't recommend one to anyone, they don't deserve the sales.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

I would love for my next phone to be a Windows Phone. I love the interface etc so much. I miss my old HTC Windows Phone 8X

Fucking awesome. And I love the *idea* of Continuum and UWP etc but in classic Microsoft style it's been so half arsed it's a joke.

And no apps. The day Google stopped what lukewarm support they offered, it died :(

But I'd probably be swayed by a Surface Phone. It's worse than the damn Sonic cycle :cry:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Microsoft just can't get phones right. They finally come up with something decent in WP8/10, and they've been completely outmanoeuvred by Google & Android. Even if WP is a better OS, they've lost far too much time to make up ground now, especially with their restrictive licensing.
cloud
Hard Cun...too much?
Hard Cun...too much?
XBL ID: ACE VENCLOUDY
PSN ID: ACEVENCLOUDY

Post by cloud »

Got myself a 640 for $99. Not a bad phone for the price but Windows 10 on mobile is fucken trash! I remember Windows 8 on my old 920 being a lot better.

See what the Surface team cooks up for the next batch of Lumia's...
Ambrose Burnside

cloud wrote:Got myself a 640 for $99. Not a bad phone for the price but Windows 10 on mobile is fucken trash! I remember Windows 8 on my old 920 being a lot better.

See what the Surface team cooks up for the next batch of Lumia's...
Really? What's worse in 10?
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Ambrose Burnside

Mavy
XBL ID: Mavy
PSN ID: iwantalogin

Post by Mavy »

Wish I could find those specs in an Android device