Smartphone advice

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Re: Smartphone advice

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I dunno what that dude's doing differently, but I just did all that just fine on my SGS3?
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Twit wrote:unfnk - to be fair on Microsoft, they are switching out the whole kernel from CE to NT and bringing some huge framework / platform changes along with that. It's a move they really had to make, they are still releasing 7.8 for existing users, and have guaranteed at least 18 months of updates for any WP8 devices.
Most windows7 phones are single core older qualcomm chipsets. Windows8 brings true multitasking and hence will require more power and cores to handle it without lag.

That's one thing I like about my wifes windows7 phone, its extremely fast and fluid for a such a low spec device, its just designed and built to be lean and mean around the smart phone tasks you do day to day. Her previous android phone just choked and stuttered doing those simple tasks.

I Also find the ui is fast and intuitive, once you get over the need to have icons on a desktop, you realise that what ms have done makes much more sense, plus the OS has really good integration with external services. The problem is the storage/access limitations which windows8 addresses.

I think my next phone is going to be a nokia 920. It looks like a beast and something fresh.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

unfnknblvbl wrote:I dunno what that dude's doing differently, but I just did all that just fine on my SGS3?
We were doing tests at work today, you could get fabric to work after a few goes, maybe it generates some static or heat... But it's still shit, apps would open when trying to swipe and shit like that.

Some steel works, we found a nut which was as good as a stylus, holding it with a bare hand worked really good.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I also find holding my nuts in my bare hands works really good too. I don't need to go looking for one though.
Also, I prefer stylus action over nut action. Too much can go wrong if you're just playing with a nut...
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

I hear turning your back helps with performance! :D
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

Haha... Oh grow up you two!!
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent
XBL ID: Twit AU
PSN ID: KAKwit
Steam ID: KAKwit

Post by Twit »

Like Jizz’s earlier videos, the following confirms that if you’re having a complete spac attack with a fork in a restaurant then you can still operate the Nokia 920.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

internet tethering is missing from the leaked sdk pics. Hopefully that is because it is a phone/carrier option and not because MS are going back to the future (took them long enough to add it to WP7).
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Lumia 820 or 920?
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

Telstra gets the 920, Optus and Vodafone get the 820

Fuck I hate carrier exclusives
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Cheers, any ideas on prices? I'm thinking of heading across to a Lumia, they just look so nice. Considering the Lumia 800, it's so damn cheap. Any major reasons why I shouldn't do this? I'm going to be poor next year so I'm thinking of just getting a cheapie that's free on a plan rather than paying each month. The One X just isn't dropping in price enough.

I dunno, maybe I'll wait till towards the end of the year. So impatient.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

The 800 is a wp7 phone so it'll never get the wp8 updates and support, there will be a 7.8 update which will emulate wp8 in many ways, but after that you won't see that ecosystem supported with updates I wouldn't think, wp7 will be left behind.

I have never used a lumia 800 but I really like the size, the 900 and 920 are a bit big
I know it isn't a powerhouse like high end phones because wp7 didn't allow that, games aren't a smooth as they are on iphone, the screen isn't high res etc.

If you want a shit hot phone it won't do, but fuck they are good value for money these days... The os is silky smooth and a pleasure to use... Maybe even grab one outright on eBay, probably a cheap way to do it.

The lumia 920 will be over $800 outright apparently, so plans will be similar to the gs3, one x etc... The 820 will be pretty competitive
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Well I'm still on Froyo on my bloody Android so I'm quite used to being neglected. Value for money is going to be a big deal. Games, don't play any except emulation. How easy/hard is it to download/install apps to emulate megadrive games for example? Impossible? I guess that's my main concern, I've got fuck all apps on my Desire due to me only being allowed to have about 3 without running out of space. Ignorance is bliss.

I guess it all depends if the One X drops in price anytime soon. The One X is much cheaper than the S3, much better value for money than it.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I dunno if there's emulators on the WP store, but you can't sideload apps from what I hear :(
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA
XBL ID: Shaneus
PSN ID: Shaneus2k2
Steam ID: Shaneus2k2

Post by Shaneus »

Well, I remember someone managed to run some unsigned stuff on there by way of an MS "competition", but I don't think there's anything official for WP7 (or any specific hardware iterations). Hoping against hope that there's something for WP8, despite not really knowing what it'd need over the base OS/

Hell, I don't even know how music gets loaded onto it. I assume it's not as simple as a filesystem-type thing.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Surely it's just drag-drop based?
GW2cameout

Post by GW2cameout »

You can turn on sideloading for up to 3 devices by registering for a dev account and you can sideload up to 10 apps at one time.

Syncing music to Windows Phone? It's through Zune. So if you fucking hated iTunes you're in for a special treat!

Lumia 920 coming to Australia exclusive to Telstra LTE. You can preregister here. Optus and Vodafone are getting the 820.

[Click to see hidden content]
It's going to be so much fun to see lestat complain about Zune after his iTunes tirades :lol:
Burnzoire wuz right
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Nokia are throwing in a set of monster headphones ($249) with some of their older Luminas might add some value rather than going ebay route.
http://www.nokia.com/au-en/lumia-free-m ... eadphones/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for telstra exclusive this doesn't displease me but I only buy my phones outright. Hate being locked in contracts so will see how things shake up.

Still need to get my hands on final hardware and have a play before I bail on Apple.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

OHhhhhh my god, Zune?! Ughhhhhhhhhh. Why Microsoft?! Why?! You fucking idiots!

WINAMP 4 EVA
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Surely it's not true, Jizz?
GW2cameout

Post by GW2cameout »

Madmya wrote:OHhhhhh my god, Zune?! Ughhhhhhhhhh. Why Microsoft?! Why?! You fucking idiots!
I suspect the reason why is similar to the reason why the Microsoft Store looks suspiciously like the Apple Store directly across the aisle at my local shopping centre.

[Click to see hidden content]
It's because Microsoft want to directly emulate how Apple earns squillions of dollars a year! :lol:
Burnzoire wuz right
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Way to alienate people who don't like Apple.

Android it is.

Edit: at least it looks modern and is far cheaper than Apple... and they don't have a different plug. I have no idea how people can think that's okay.
Cardsy

Smartphone advice

Post by Cardsy »

:lol: Zune.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Zune is dead in Win8. I think they are going a more drag drop system.

Care factor is very low, I have to say. It's all the same shit and every man and his dog expects you to have a library of content to point their app at.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

I dunno, I rarely even hook my iPad or wp7 phone to my computer anyway, I buy my apps straight from the marketplace... I never use iTunes or Zune to be honest

All my photos and shit are uploaded to skydrive automatically so there is no need.
My omnia only hold 8 gig of shit so I don't put music on it, but I have done it and Zune it pretty easy use for that so I don't see what the problem is there.