Smartphone advice

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Pat
The Fury

Re: Smartphone advice

Post by Pat »

Alright, spending more time with the mozart at shop demos typing "quick brown fox" type sentences on the keypad suggests that so long as I slow down these are more than functional. Trade off vs predictive text on a 12-button keypad is speed, but on the other hand it doesnt cause carpal tunnel syndrome.

Also, for whatever reason, the mozart web browser seems to be better than the desire's on a couple of test pages that I would be frequenting for work. Didnt get a chance to try the iphones web browser though. Probably going to get the mozart shortly.
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!
XBL ID: Burnzoire
Steam ID: Burnzoire

Post by Burnzoire »

I look forward to your book "Choosing the right Smartphone: 101 things to over-analyse"

:D
van

Post by van »

Pat wrote:Also, for whatever reason, the mozart web browser seems to be better than the desire's on a couple of test pages that I would be frequenting for work. Didnt get a chance to try the iphones web browser though. Probably going to get the mozart shortly.
It's a shame you can't play with third-party apps at the store. You're forced to use the factory features, and while it's fair to say that a device should be able to stand on the features it's offered with, I can definitely say that your experience with an Android phone using SwiftKey or Swype as your keyboard, and Skyfire as your browser, would be a much, much better experience.
Pat
The Fury

Post by Pat »

That may be the case but I can only go by whats presented to me, unfortunately. The standard browsers werent all that impressive on a few of the phones I tested, but I cant recall exactly which ones. All I do know is that the mozart was the most impressive I got to use (iphone wasnt working again ffs).
Burnzoire wrote:I look forward to your book "Choosing the right Smartphone: 101 things to over-analyse"

:D
Functionality is important.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Old thread bump. Just a question - recently the screen on my HTC Desire died suddenly. Thinking that having a touchscreen phone in your pocket whilst you're doing a lot of physical activity wouldn't do wonders for the screen so I was looking at a Blackberry, the 9780 specifically. I know the 9900 has better specs and the latest OS but the screen isn't touch sensitive which I see as a plus. Basically, what are Blackberrys like to use day to day? I'm think they are more akin to Nokia/Symbian? Looking at possibly trading in the HTC. Thanks.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

I think basically they're fine, as long as you don't expect it to be more than just a phone/email machine.
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I couldn't be bothered finding the actual Mobile Phone Thread, so this is the closest I got.

Virgin Mobile are selling the most lustworthy phone ever for $49/month.

Alternatively, Virgin Mobile are selling the unluckiest phone ever for $49/month.

Fuck. If that dickhead Elop hadn't decided to ditch MeeGo at the last minute, I'd be all over this phone in an instant. I've not read a bad review of it yet.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

unfnknblvbl wrote:Fuck. If that dickhead Elop hadn't decided to ditch MeeGo at the last minute, I'd be all over this phone in an instant. I've not read a bad review of it yet.
DITTO THAT MOTHERFUCKER

it's like the rest of nokia are only releasing this phone to make it obvious that Elop is just a microsoft plant. HEY GUYS WE CAN MAKE GOOD PHONES, SEE?!?!?!

Microsoft ruining everything good, as usual.
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Thank fuck he did or nokia would be dead within the year. Now they will live on the sniff of an oily rag (win 8 ).
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Yeah... not sure about that. The N9 is a shining example of Nokia at their best, and it happened in spite of Elop. Nokia was just too slow in recognising where the market was going, is all. They could have had a range of MeeGo phones ready to go by now, but instead they chose to scrap it and start again from scratch.
Time will tell.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Cardsy

Smartphone advice

Post by Cardsy »

Nokia am dead. The end.
Vzzzbx
Bob Brown’s Rainbow Cumrag
XBL ID: Fairlie Arrow
PSN ID: vzbxvzbx
Steam ID: vzbxvzbx

Smartphone advice

Post by Vzzzbx »

I think Nokia made the right move.
Pariah
Street Fighter HD Remix Champ
Street Fighter HD Remix Champ

Post by Pariah »

:lol:
[img]http://i30.tinypic.com/5as8eq.gif[/img]
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

here's Nokia's first WP7 phone... look familiar?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/embed/ShBPOtL9vp8[/youtube]
Vzzzbx

Smartphone advice

Post by Vzzzbx »

Fucking awesome is what it looks.
KillKen
lazy
XBL ID: KillKen

Post by KillKen »

Yeah have to say I like the looks of that.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Yup. Looks gorgeous. Pity they didn't come up with these goods two years ago though :(
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I think Nokia's biggest issue now is competition and brand identity. Five years ago, the consumer phone market was a two-horse race between Nokia and SE. Everybody else was just an also-ran. Now, thanks to the prevalence of Android, everyone and their dog are knocking out top-notch handsets.

Five years ago, I don't any if us would have known who HTC, Kyocera or Hooowayeeeea were, and Samsung, Motorola & LG were the el-cheapo brands. In the last 12 months alone, each one of those brands have made at least one handset that I would have been happy to own. Some of them have even been undisputed best-in-class products.
Nokia have been completely irrelevant this whole time. Longer, in fact. I think their last truly great handset was probably the N95.
The market has changed significantly. Nokia need to change their practices to keep up. Their development process is far too slowto keep then competitive.
Vzzzbx

Smartphone advice

Post by Vzzzbx »

When WP7 hits its stride and its Office integration matures, it will be the shit. Nokia's reputation for quality is still intact so it'll be fine.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Smartphone advice

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Windows 8 will be when it comes together for MS.
mech
Phase 3: Profit!
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

Love the look of these new Nokias.

Hope Microsoft gets their shit together with WP... I think it looks fantastic, much better aesthetically than Android.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Smartphone advice

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

As much as I hated Nokia back in the day it is good to see an attractive modern handset from a conventional name instead of all this HTC, Samsung and LG stuff.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

I hope it's a success so we get a real three-way fight between Google, Apple and MS.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
edgecrusher
BLUE!...YOUR MY BOY BLUE!!
PSN ID: edgecrush33

Post by edgecrusher »

time for a smartphone! I dont want a fucking iphone. I've heard some good things about HTC phones, anyone got any recommendations?
Everybody be cool.....You be cool
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD
XBL ID: AgOnNy
PSN ID: AgOnNy
Steam ID: AgOnNy

Post by AgOnNy »

HTC is awesome and great build quality. Just awesome, 'nuff said.