Let's bag Apple - iPad thread

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Let's bag Apple - iPad thread

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Well it's browsing the net where iPhone 5's performance increase is most apparent. As I said it smokes my iPhone 4S. I'm not upgrading now as 4S runs everything but I do wince when I see iPhone 5 users browse sites.
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Re: Let's bag Apple - iPad thread

Post by selfish »

guttermouth wrote:Again I use my phone for calls, text and browsing the net along with the occasional game to waste time. So what's the point of forking out 70 bucks a month or $800+ for any new phone at all?
ftfy
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Peppermint Lounge wrote:Well it's browsing the net where iPhone 5's performance increase is most apparent. As I said it smokes my iPhone 4S. I'm not upgrading now as 4S runs everything but I do wince when I see iPhone 5 users browse sites.
Main problem for me is that there's nothing vital that I need to upgrade for. At least from 3GS to 4 you got the retina screen. Plus the Telstra plans are terrible.
Seraph
The only seraph on the internet.
XBL ID: Seraphcon V

Post by Seraph »

3GS to 4 also got you a better camera and a flash.
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

iphone 1
iphone 3g
iphone 3gs
iphone 4 - the fourth iphone
iphone 4s
iphone 5 - the sixth iphone

explain

[/pointless]
Misly
Blackened is the end
XBL ID: Misly

Post by Misly »

Well everyone here knows I am not a fan of Apple. I know we vote for the future of mankind to corporations with our money and purchases. So I don't like to support Apples evil innovative killing, freedom killing and controlling / limiting practices.

However I am typing this on my iPad mini. Today work gave all members of a project team a free iPad mini. I was going to sell, but has engraved (printed) message from work on the back. Seeing as I didn't pay for it, thought I'd have a laugh and play. So far initial impressions are crap screen, can't easily load my media or stream my media over network out of the box (edit = found windows server software that converts on the fly and streams), no widgets and lack of options to be a joke.

Even the iPad mini is too big to comfortably hold and surf the Internet while laying back on the couch. I seriously think note 2 screen size is big enough and finds the right balance between screen size and holding comfort. Plus boobah.com and other sites don't work with only half the Internet.

Going to investigate how I can load media without converting and without crappy iTunes. Also would like to find a way to stream my media over wifi. But if its too much effort to get around Apples non standards content control, then I won't bother.
BOOMY wrote:I don't understand the ipad mini. That is all.
What is the point of this piece of crap? lol
:rock:
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

If you're going to get any meaningful use out of it, I'd start by not fighting it. When your first move is seeing what you can do without iTunes, you're not exactly setting the scene for a frustration-free user experience. For the record I found the latest version of iTunes to be really irritating at first, but it's still the easiest way to manage content on an iPad.

I considered a Mini before settling on an iPad 4, but given my usage the bigger screen was definitely the way to go. I think a Mini would be great if treated purely as a gaming device, but fuck me that's indulgent.
mech
Phase 3: Profit!
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

Ah Gamma, the voice of reason.

So because it doesn't fit what Misly wants, it's a piece of crap. Hilarious.

To be fair the screen IS crap and is why I didn't get one, but I can appreciate it's good enough for a large percentage of people, hence why it's selling so well, same with the iPad 2 which is still on sale.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Had to post this excellence somewhere.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Got an iPad Mini from work for Xmas. Completely unexpected but a great gift. Not the Retina version unfortunately but the battery life is phenomenal, easily 4 days between charges. Only thing that sucks about it is media capabilities, the Nexus smokes it for versatility. Still, great early gift.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.