attn: Darwi

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

attn: Darwi

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

ASIDE from their famed midfield none of the Eagles fans packed into the MCG will dare forget the game of the giant man with the glove, Quinten Lynch.

He gave his side an edge, just enough, maybe, to help it win the flag.

There was a huge roar whenever he marked yesterday, and an even louder cheer when the replay was shown on the big screen.

Last year it proved an error leaving the farmer's son out of the 22 because it left the Eagles without a sizeable target in the goalsquare.

But the Eagles were not going to make that same mistake again.

Eagles coach John Worsfold knew he had a potential match-winner in the big bloke.

He had been hailing Lynch's talent in the lead-up to yesterday's classic encounter.

Asked early in the day which player's development had given him the most satisfaction in his time as Eagles coach, Worsfold nominated Lynch's rise in the past four years.

Yesterday's crowd of 97,431 sat spellbound as the Eagles mustered every last ounce of energy to hold off the reigning premier.

And right in the middle of it was the massive figure of Lynch.

The Eagles' No.21 had left the goalsquare and was scrambling for the ball near the centre.

He managed to squeeze out a short kick that could have been risky in those frenetic dying stages.

But the football gods were on Lynch's side.

The ball landed with a teammate and there was only one more heart-stopping moment before the siren sounded and he became part of West Australian football folklore.

Most of the pundits over the next few days will be praising the brilliance of Andrew Embley, the Norm Smith medallist, and the domination of Dean Cox in the ruck and that high-powered running machine of Chris Judd, Daniel Kerr and Ben Cousins that works out of the middle.

But Worsfold and his match committee will not be skimming over the contribution from Lynch, who kicked three goals when majors were at a premium.

Lynch has repaid the faith of his coach, and more so with a stunning finals series.

Even though his improvement has been gradual, it is clear the forward has provided a crucial missing piece in the puzzle to help the Eagles go that extra step.

Without a reliable man between the sticks the Eagles still might have been waiting for this stellar group of players to deliver.

Yesterday's Grand Final will be spoken of in glowing terms for years to come.

Although disappointed, the Swans can feel justly proud of their effort.

Few will be surprised now that in defence of their crown next year the Eagles' main challenge will come from the Paul Roos and his men.
Source

OWNED!!!

I told you Lynch would be the difference.

:fight :fight :fight :fight :fight
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

I put it to you that Barry Halls complete loss of ability to shoot from point blank made the difference at the end of the day.
Ambrose Burnside

General Chaos wrote:I put it to you that Barry Halls complete loss of ability to shoot from point blank made the difference at the end of the day.
The Hall/Glass contest was a battle of All-Australians. Hall won the contest in the Qualifying Final with 5 goals, there was no way Glass was going to play two shockers in a row.

Everybody rates Leaping Leo Barry after "that mark" last year, but Lynch made him look second rate. Huge performance from a player almost nobody rated. Darwi still doesn't :lol:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
Darwi
Obey your thirst

Post by Darwi »

Wow... I don't think I've ever had a thread pointed at me. I really feel I've made it at the Games Ranch! :lol:

As for fluff bits of journalism to sell papers to the only ones who will be buying them this week... bah humbug.

My argument still stands... the Eagles need someone who can consistantly take a contested mark inside 50m. And by need... I guess now determines how many back to back trophies they can add to their cabinet.

Lynch nearly warmed my heart... he only needed to hold that pack mark for another 0.25 seconds and I would have been happy. But in reality, the only marks he can take is outside 50 on the lead... and the odd occasion when the clever midfielders can spoon feed him (such as the mark he took running backwards away from Barry).

To me... and I regard myself as somewhat unbiased... in that I hate the Eagles as much as I hate Sydney... or any other side other than my beloved Hawks (except Essendon... I hate them the mostest). But Lynch is currently somewhat overated;

- he doesn't take enough pack marks (the big deficit).
- he doesn't bring the ball to advantage of his crumbers (even though the Eagles don't technically have any crumbers).
- he doesn't instill enough fear into the opposition (and no, I'm saying he is scared or soft... just that he needs to focus his aggression more).

And no, just because he wears a glove... has become a crowd favourite... is verbally molested by Robert Walls from the commentary box... or is spoon fed 50+ goals for the year... this doesn't instantly elevate him.

But I don't dispute he is improving / has potential.

It's a fine balance... but add a decent marking player to full forward... move Lynch out to centre half forward and let him develop into a more of a roaming forward (think like Reiwoldt... but not straying so far from home)... and bingo - the Eagles have a forward line that could emboss the current team as legendary.
Ambrose Burnside

Lynch isn't overrated. There has been a lot of bandwagon jumpers lately though, but no one can claim I'm one of them.
Darwi
Obey your thirst

Post by Darwi »

Ambrose Burnside wrote:Lynch isn't overrated.
You know what... I think you're right.

Brereton, Carey, Brown, Lockett, Dunstall, Lynch.

All equals amongst the best to have ever parked themselves in the goalsquare.

Oh...

You meant Quentin Lynch.

But anyway... I promise not to mention Lynch again until the debate turns to 2007. The October draft is on it's way... and there is too much to do in terms of what my team wants / needs to be worried about the Eagles.
Ambrose Burnside

Ah yes, the draft. Rumours are Chris Tarrant and Kent Kingsley want to play for the Eagles. They've left their move a year late methinks. We already have a full-forward thanks :lol: :up:
Darwi
Obey your thirst

Post by Darwi »

Ambrose Burnside wrote:Ah yes, the draft. Rumours are Chris Tarrant and Kent Kingsley want to play for the Eagles. They've left their move a year late methinks. We already have a full-forward thanks :lol: :up:
I wouldn't be surprised if every player entering the draft wants to go to the Eagles :)

Tarrant = a big no. Plays too similar to another player you have (not mentioning any names)... with the added minus of doing so in a very soft manner.

Kingsley = a maybe... not necessarily my first pick... but could be picked up for the bargain price of a Fletcher.