Wilfred US

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Wilfred US

Post by Cletus »

Just watched episode one. Fans of the original should take a look. Interesting changes to the set up. Definitely toned down. I didn't laugh but nor did I hate it.
KillKen
lazy
XBL ID: KillKen

Re: Wilfred US

Post by KillKen »

Yeah I have read a lot of americans saying they are watching it more for that's it's different to the usual shit they have on but then they say the Australian version is really dark.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

"I bit the cunt"

Not a line that is likely to feature in the American version. Dark you say? I think the original series finishes with Adam (the Elijah Wood character) murdering someone under the prompting of Wilfred. The U.S version won't do that. They've picked a fairly solid cast for the new version too. And that Wilfred is still played by Jason Gann makes complete sense. The U.S took The Office and made gold out of gold. Maybe they can do the same thing with Wilfred.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

After a second viewing I'm probably a little more impressed than my first viewing. Nevertheless I think they should have been braver with it. There are plenty of shows out there with far more explicit language and situations and perhaps as they get comfortable they'll open it up a bit more. They're definitely trying to add in some vulgar "funny" stuff from Ryan's sister but I felt it came off as too obvious. Her character wasn't necessary. Probably my only gripe and it's not too big a deal. The suicide attempt, the break and enter and the bong smoking clearly shows they want to stay on the path the show started on here. I'm optimistic.
Hercy
Makes poor choices in hats
XBL ID: Hercy

Post by Hercy »

It's OK. Pilot episodes of comedies are always a bit sketchy given that they have to establish characters and situations. It could grow into something good.
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent
XBL ID: Twit AU
PSN ID: KAKwit
Steam ID: KAKwit

Post by Twit »

I'm just downloading now to watch it tonight. I liked the original even though much of it wasn't laugh out loud for me, more of a kinda "huh" thing. It also had a very Melbourne vibe to it. I think it might actually suite being set in the US and keeping Gann as the dog. Fingers crossed. I'll probably keep grabbing 'em for a bit anyway now that I'm not hanging out for Game of Thrones every week.
jobbidiar
XBL ID: jobbidiar
PSN ID: jobbidiar
Steam ID: jobbidiar

Post by jobbidiar »

Having never watched the original Oz Wilfred I found it quite funny to be honest, Don't think it's the sort of show that should outlive itself too long and go for 5+ seasons, 2 would be enough like the Oz one had.
Uncharted 4 GOTY 2015 (unless it's broken like MCC)
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent
XBL ID: Twit AU
PSN ID: KAKwit
Steam ID: KAKwit

Post by Twit »

Hmmm...yeah, okay I suppose. Will see how it goes...
Hercy
Makes poor choices in hats
XBL ID: Hercy

Post by Hercy »

Turns out that Jason Gann is a bit of a fuckhead:

http://www.theage.com.au/national/attac" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 1gw9u.html
THE man dressed as a dog in the hit TV comedy Wilfred is being feted in Hollywood, but back in Australia he is threatening to go into bankruptcy if he is forced to pay the medical expenses of a man he bashed in 2007.

Actor Jason Gann's dog-suited character Wilfred won a record audience last week for the US premiere of the American version of his show, where he plays opposite Lord of the Rings star Elijah Wood and earns $US195,000 ($A182,000) per six-month season.

The success prompted him to boast to newspaper MX that his career was taking off.

''I did the red carpet and it was just bang, bang, bang, people taking photos and it was surreal,'' Gann said.

''I'm meeting with [movie] producers … I've got this opportunity … I'm going to try and strike while the iron's hot.''

By contrast, back in Melbourne, Joseph Hosny, a shuttle-bus driver whom Gann bashed in a drunken frenzy at the Derby Day races in 2007, will never work again. He is anxious, depressed and harming himself as a result of the attack.

Mr Hosny, 54, was employed at Flemington Racecourse to drive people to and from the gate. About 6.45pm, Gann and his girlfriend tried to board the packed bus.

When Mr Hosny told them they would have to wait for the next bus, Gann, who was drunk, abused him, then punched him repeatedly in the face as other passengers tried to drag the actor away.

When he was finally ejected from the bus, Gann went to the driver's-side door and tried to open it to continue the assault. Mr Hosny held the door shut, so Gann punched the window before giving up.

Gann pleaded guilty to criminal assault charges in May 2008, but received a bond without conviction, which allows him to work in the US.

Mr Hosny is now suing his former employer, the Victorian Racing Club, for pain and suffering and economic loss - estimated at more than $500,000 - for failing to maintain a safe workplace.

WorkCover is continuing to pay Mr Hosny's medical bills and is, in a separate action, suing Gann to try to recover its costs. By April last year, WorkCover had already spent $113,000.

The Sunday Age believes Gann has claimed he would be forced into bankruptcy if he has to pay up. A spokeswoman for Gann declined to comment.

In a 2009 County Court affidavit, Mr Hosny said he was so depressed and anxious because of the attack that his marriage was in trouble and that he was sleeping on his brother's couch.

''I have not recovered from the trauma of the assault and … I have difficulty with even basic activities of daily living. Sometimes I lack the motivation and energy to shower, shave or change my clothes,'' he said in the legal document.

He said he was so depressed that he had poured boiling water over his chest.

WorkCover has accepted Mr Hosny will have an ''inability to engage in any working capacity'' and that he has no prospect of working again, a point confirmed by Mr Hosny's lawyer. All attempts to resolve the matter through mediation have failed.
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA
XBL ID: Shaneus
PSN ID: Shaneus2k2
Steam ID: Shaneus2k2

Post by Shaneus »

Wow, what a dick.

Just for that, I'm going to download the US version of Wilfred and NOT pay for it.
Vzzzbx
Bob Brown’s Rainbow Cumrag
XBL ID: Fairlie Arrow
PSN ID: vzbxvzbx
Steam ID: vzbxvzbx

Post by Vzzzbx »

He said he was so depressed that he had poured boiling water over his chest.
Wait, what?
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Sounds more like a sexual perversion than anxiety. I'd have anxiety due to the burns and scar tissue from pouring boiling water on my chest, I know that for sure.

Sounds odd to me.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Well three years later and I have to admit I didn't follow the show at all. Nicole did though and tonight I had to reinstall VLC and just happened to test it with the second last episode of the US series. Well what I saw made me watch the last two episodes because it seemed clear the writers were aiming to wrap things up.

Did anyone watch it? Spoilers will follow, be warned.

So when it came to the aus series I had concluded by the end of season one that Adam was insane. Just that. Nothing more. It's the only possibility other than there actually being a talking dog and the show never played it that others heard Wilfred with Adam. So the US version went to a lot of effort to essentially tell us that Ryan (their Adam) was insane. Completely and utterly. I'm actually ok with what they did to finish Wilfred. I just don't think they actually needed to go through the convoluted hoops they wrote themselves to get us there..

Anyway, so long Wilfred.
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD
XBL ID: AgOnNy
PSN ID: AgOnNy
Steam ID: AgOnNy

Post by AgOnNy »

I dragged myself mid way through the 3rd season & just couldn't bring myself to devote more time to it. Whilst we have a lull in shows right now, I'm thinking of finishing it...but still not sure.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

I have no inclination to go back and watch the seasons I missed at all. The end was interesting. If you're mildly interested in how it ends, just watch the last three or four episodes. You don't need the entire backstory to understand what's happening.