NFL Season 15-16 (Pg 14) | Fantasty Draft Incoming!

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Re: NFL Playoffs 11-12

Post by Candy Arse »

It just occurred to me with this comparison, especially if the Giants win -

QBs Peyton beat to win a Superbowl - Rex Grossman
QBs Eli beat to win a Superbowl - Tom Brady
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD
XBL ID: AgOnNy
PSN ID: AgOnNy
Steam ID: AgOnNy

Post by AgOnNy »

Williams fucked up twice that cost the 49ers...well, better than what everyone expected.
Reka

Post by Reka »

Twiztid Elf wrote:
Candy Arse wrote:I can't tell if you agree or disagree.
I both agree and disagree for the reasons you've already cited,
but DAMN, I'm going to have some fun saying "BETTER THAN PEYTON!" for the next fortnight and hopefully more. :lol:
Better than Marino! :D
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/nxe/Reka.png[/img]
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Just finished watching the 49ers game.

Hopefully Williams found himself a rock to hide under until the fans forget.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Gods have no need of jewellery.

Reka

Post by Reka »

True, but they at least thave the means to acquire it! :)

Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I bet Marino wishes he got Rex Grossman in the Superbowl instead of Joe Montana.
Reka

Post by Reka »

Yeah, but I'm sure he'd rather have played against that 49ers D than the 2006 Bears D.

I find it interesting that you compare QBs as thought they're squaring off against each other.

It's like saying Flacco is a better QB than Brady because his stats were better in yesterdays game. But the thing people are quick to forget is Flacco played against one of the leagues worst defenses, and Brady played against one of the leagues best defenses. Don't get me wrong - Flacco had a helluva game. But comparing QBs like that is apples to oranges.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

By what metric do we compare players in the same position in a sport where they don't compete on the field at the same time?

Flacco played well enough to win the game yesterday. He threw the game winning TD pass that the top receivers in the league would have held on to regardless of the defensive player's presence.

Flacco played against the 2nd worst defense in the history of the NFL - but yesterday they didn't play like it. Vince Wilfork, that was one of the most disruptive games I've seen from any individual defensive lineman. It was like every second or third play he was collapsing the pocket up the middle and getting in Flacco's grill.

When comparing QBs in this case, I think we have to go with their body of work when it counts, and by when it counts you have to start with post-season play.

Re: 1984 49ers D vs 2006 Bears D, statistically the 1984 49ers were the better defensive team. Actually they were the better team on both sides of the ball.

In Marino's 1 Superbowl he went up against one of the all-time great NFL teams led by arguably the best QB to put on a helmet and a hall of fame coach and backed by the NFL's best defense that year.

In Manning's 1 Superbowl win he went up against a Bears team whose defense wasn't as good as the previous season, but had an improved offensive output that covered for a slightly regressed defense...and they also had Devin Hester.

Opinion here, but I think the 1984 Dolphins would absolutely light up the 2006 Bears if they played.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

I'm pumped for SB.
Key to the game. No question Giants defense. If they can slow or stop the Patriots offense it's all over. Even more so if they can get a turnover or two.
NFL Network keep talking about the X factor in the game, and usually they're talking about Gronk.
But imo Victor Cruz is the X factor in this game. He's going to have a big one.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I think the key to the game is the Patriots offensive line. If they can keep the rush off Brady for the most part the Pats should do well. They'll also need to establish some sort of consistent running game to make the Giants D line think twice about blindly rushing 5 yards behind where Brady plants on his dropback.

Agree with Gronk being the X factor because he really is. A high ankle sprain and hard turf do not mix, but what works for him is that he's not the sort of player to make cuts or spins. The Giants really need to cut off the entire area between the hash marks to have a chance of stopping the Patriots passing attack. Branch isn't likely to burn them on the outside anymore barring a blown assignment.

Giants should be favourites for this game, but whoever wins is the team holding the ball last.
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD

Post by AgOnNy »

Giants deserve to win after beating the 49ers. If not, we get to see Eli cry like a spilt brat.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Great game, but the Patriots lost the game more than the Giants won it. If Wes Welker makes that catch on the Patriots' second-last posession the game is in the bag for NE. NE receivers caught the dropsies big time in the final 5 minutes.

Giants seem to have extra lives this year. Should have lost to San Fran, should have lost today.

However now it's time to say Tom Coughlin should get an automatic pass into the Hall of Fame, as should Eli Manning.
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

Holy fuck I'm crying with joy! What a win. Manning has now proven he's one of the all time great quarter backs. Our defense was super solid. So much pressure causing fumbles. Mannings pass to Manningham was ridiculously amazing. I'm still so fucking emotional! What a fantastic win really, from nowhere a couple of months ago. Go Giants!
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

That's the game right there. Welker going to be crying into a lot of beers over the off-season.

Vince I didn't think the Giants defense was as good as it was when they beat NE the last time. For quite a while it looked like Brady was carving them up like Christmas hams, then the NE receivers got allergic to the ball!

Still, Manning did what had to be done. Again. Two stomach-punch Superbowl losses for the Pats. Ouch.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

What a pass.
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD

Post by AgOnNy »

Just goes to show how awesome those 49ers were this year huh? :D
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

It's all about making the most of the opportunities you get. Patriots had it but lost it due to not only defensive pressure but pressure to win the game.
Mannings 4th quarters are legendary. That game winning pass will go down in history as one of the greatest passes ever. The second Manningham caught it I knew we'd win from there. You're right though Candy, for a period in the 2nd and 3rd I thought Brady was gonna tear us to shreds but we hung in and managed 2 field goals to keep us in it.
Manning thoroughly deserved MVP too. He's just so calm under pressure. I'm still amazed we got this far and won. We were 7-7 at one stage and things looked shaky this year but to the credit of all the boys they turned it around and won the Super Bowl! I'll be watching it again tonight!:-)
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Candy Arse wrote:That's the game right there.
Yup, that was the opinion where I was. "Welker just dropped the Superbowl."
What an amazing Superbowl. Will watch again. :up:

I thought the Patriots defense did a great job. Can't blame them at all. Really stepped up and halted many Giants drives.
Where was the Patriots offense though?
Was a lot closer and a lot lower score than I expected.
RIGHTEOUS FURY
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD

Re: NFL Season 12-13

Post by AgOnNy »

Taken down Packers at Lambeau, now to tame the Lions at home! Come on Niners!

*EDIT just as a submitted, Davis is in :up:
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Before the season began I had a 9ers/Ravens Superbowl and I'm not backing down from that even though the Ravens lost today. They won't need home field to win the AFC, even though it would help. They may need to go through Houston to get there.

49ers have all the tools to take it out this year.
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD

Post by AgOnNy »

The Texans are actually one team I'm careful about, they're looking a lot healthier this year.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

OMFG the refs just cost the Packers the game on the last play!!!!

Packers got hosed like Baltimore did against Philly.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I think after this the regular refs will come back. The product is compromised.