The Mac thread

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Re: The Mac thread

Post by selfish »

Just discovered that in Messages, people who reply to them don't have their message sent to your phone - it goes to the computer, whether it's turned on or not. What a terrible design!
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

Sweet Zombie Jesus.
westical
Lockyer's Lovechild
Lockyer's Lovechild
XBL ID: westical

Post by westical »

No Mac mini update, I continue to be cutting edge.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

So my mid 2010 MBP has decided it fucking hates Lion and Panics immediately.

Fixed permissions saved data and it shat itself again. Even booting from an image disc causes panic. :(

Snowy is happy as day on it. Googling says that it is a feature of a large chunk of 2010's. Still Applecared til mid next year so I guess I will rage at apple via Nextbyte.

Oh yeah what pimp new devices were announced? Retina Airs?
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2

Post by Talez »

General Chaos wrote:So my mid 2010 MBP has decided it fucking hates Lion and Panics immediately.

Fixed permissions saved data and it shat itself again. Even booting from an image disc causes panic. :(

Snowy is happy as day on it. Googling says that it is a feature of a large chunk of 2010's. Still Applecared til mid next year so I guess I will rage at apple via Nextbyte.

Oh yeah what pimp new devices were announced? Retina Airs?
Retina MacBook Pro. 2880x1800 15.4" screen.

2010 MacBook Pros have been kernel panicing with 10.7. I've got the same one and it's the nVidia driver tripping it up. It's been mostly fixed on 10.7.4 but to turn off the panics permanently you can use gfxCardStatus to force the OS to only use the Intel GPU.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Yeah I saw that but decided to roll back to snowy for now. Don't use it these days anyhow, should prob just sell it and be done with it.

Off to look at the new products but laptops are dead to me. An air would be as much of a laptop I could deal with.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

LOL Retina. Didn't mech call me crazy not that long ago for wanting higher pixel density displays on PCs?
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account

Post by selfish »

No he would never do that, he is always right.
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

The Mac thread

Post by mech »

Eh? Show me the proof, sounds like you making shit up.
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2

Post by Talez »

It was lestat not mech. I think you're thinking of this piece of damage control from this thread:
lestat wrote:
Vzzzbx wrote: I hate the chicken-wire screen on the ipad with a burning passion, but I can see why they're not yet iphone 4/Desire HD density.
That's the first thing that jumped out at me when using an ipad, the horrible dot pitch. Ideally 1080p res would be nice, but even something in between would be good enough. 2048x1536 is overkill and a resolution most people don't even come close to running on their computers with much larger screens.
mech

The Mac thread

Post by mech »

Lulz.

I'm always for higher resolutions.

I'm sure I'll get an appropriate apology from selfish and unfunk.

Nah, this is just me being a prick and being 'right' again. What a cunt.
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2

Post by Talez »

I'm waiting to see the thing in person down at Valley Fair before I order it. Hopefully they'll have the demo unit in a few days. I really want to see what it looks like running 1680x1050 and 1920x1200 virtual resolutions before I order. I really don't want a 1440x900 desktop again.
Cardsy

Post by Cardsy »

This thread reminds me of one of the greatest Lestat ranch quotes of all time from the iPad unveiling thread.
lestat wrote: Tablets, meh it's newton all over again.
http://www.games-ranch.com/forum/viewto ... f=3&t=7516" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2

Post by Talez »

PhoneMonkey

Post by PhoneMonkey »

Any guesses on how many haters in that old iPad thread now own an iPad?
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Orignal ipad sucked... /Pre emptive strike! (just in case)
Lepo5
Kyber Felted
Kyber Felted

Post by Lepo5 »

Mine's original and I'm yet to discover how to make it suck.

ooh and I bought a Mac Mini last week for GarageBand and video editing and I'm loving it!
Candy Arse wrote:
Lepo the Legend gave me his pair for free.
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

:rollin: @ that Pat meltdown. What an awesome thread.
PhoneMonkey wrote:Any guesses on how many haters in that old iPad thread now own an iPad?
I'm probably one of them :oops:

I have one, love it, use it every day. Doesn't stop me from wishing it was a little better sometimes though.
Seraph
The only seraph on the internet.
XBL ID: Seraphcon V

Post by Seraph »

My boss's daughter spilled drink on her macbook, and it's cactus. He doesn't want to try and fix it, and he's already bought her a new one. What he -would- like to do, is remove the HDD, and if it's working, get what's on it, off it, and onto the next one. I've told him that I assume it's possible as long as the HDD didn't get damaged in the drink-spill incident.

However, I don't have any Mac products and I would assume I'll need a Mac of some sort to plug the HDD into? I know almost nothing about Macs, so I was hoping someone here could give me some feedbkack. What do you suggest? It it were a PC, I'd be grabbing a standard sata external hdd caddy/enclosure, and I imagine there's something similar for the Mac, but other alternatives may be better.

Suggestions?
mech

Post by mech »

It is a PC, grab a standard SATA external HDD enclosure. Assuming it's a normal macbook with a normal HDD in it and not flash storage.

I think with OS X you can even boot off the external drive easily, unlike Windows.
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account

Post by selfish »

Yep, if you install drivers to read HFS+, you can read/write to it as normal on windows too. Pretty sure that with the flash drives you can, if you have the right adapters, use them just as normal drives.

I've used the boot-from-external-drive thing a bunch of times, saved me when fucking around with all kinds of shit. Even used an old iPod to boot from, over firewire…not hugely fast, but it did the trick!
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Anyone else upgrade to Mountain Lion? I made the jump, install was smooth as silk. So far everything works the way it's supposed to, yet to have a look at all the features. Bargain for $20.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Cardsy

The Mac thread

Post by Cardsy »

I think I'll wait for a few point releases before jumping in.
mech

Post by mech »

Yeah I grabbed it, running it now without any dramas. The only thing it broke was Parallels which was quickly updated.
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent
XBL ID: Twit AU
PSN ID: KAKwit
Steam ID: KAKwit

Post by Twit »

I'm doing it over this weekend. I've at least remembered not to just run it this time and instead first make a bootable USB drive so I can chuck it on several machines...