The Mac thread

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

mech
Phase 3: Profit!

The Mac thread

Post by mech »

???

To avoid redownloading it?
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent
XBL ID: Twit AU
PSN ID: KAKwit
Steam ID: KAKwit

Re: The Mac thread

Post by Twit »

Yes. And to have it for other machine rebuilds. Is that shocking for some reason?
mech

Post by mech »

Woah, easy chum. Not shocking, was just confused as to why - I thought for a minute it might be because there was something about not being able to use your copy from the App Store on multiple machines.

I only ever had a download copy of Lion and it never bothered me I had to redownload it, even with download caps in Australia, but then I was only running it on one machine.

Still getting used to not having download caps now, it feels weird.
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent
XBL ID: Twit AU
PSN ID: KAKwit
Steam ID: KAKwit

Post by Twit »

Sorry, I didn't mean to be snarky there. I have 3 machines in the house to update (though I probably won't bother doing the Mini HTPC until I know Plex doesn't have any issues with it) and I'll also help my bro out since he's on crappy internet. Plus there's preparing an older box for relatives where a complete reformat and install is better, hence the bootable image.
Pariah
Street Fighter HD Remix Champ
Street Fighter HD Remix Champ

Post by Pariah »

my new Macbook Retina came in last week...2.6GHz, 16GB ram, 512GB SSD...

this thing looks beautiful im in fcking love..

ended up getting the samsung screen thankfully after i read up about the image retention problems with the LG screen i would have cracked a shit and sent it back to apple if this ended up having it lol

ended up saving the internet recovery image of 10.8 onto usb stick because apple is too cheap to include a fucking usb restore for a system that cost $3,439...

anyway done a reinstall updated everything turned off swap file..and made some other tweaks..thing runs like a fucking dream

was not happy to find out in first install that perian does not work pretty much at all under 10.8 i tired fixes and the like but for the reinstall i ended up just installing mplayerx which is freaking sweet

also very impressed with the new Safari on mac...installed adblock + clicktoflash and the thing is running sweet as bro

anyway was wondering if any of you tried windows 8 and if it makes proper use of this sweet trackpad???
[img]http://i30.tinypic.com/5as8eq.gif[/img]
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

I really should sell my mid 2010 mbp 13". I just don't use a lappy anymore.

FYI HDD ended up failing completely and replaced under warranty. No more kernal panics :) so it wasn't the gpu driver as suspected.
flipswitch
que
que

The Mac thread

Post by flipswitch »

I have a 2010 13inch Mbp as well.Just use it mostly for usenet.My internet usage is done on my iPad/iPhone since it's more convenient ( I leave them on standby during the day)
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Yeah I pretty much use my PC in the study and a HTPC these days and go sit down with a real KB/Mouse when needed or remote to them using the iPad if I want to kick something off from the couch.

It's kind of a shame because when I rarely pull out the MBP it is such a nice piece of kit to use.