The Mac thread

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

emptyvessel
XBL ID: emptyvessel79
PSN ID: emptyvessel79
Steam ID: emptyvessel

Re: The Mac thread

Post by emptyvessel »

I've got an unused Harmony that I haven't bothered to set up since I moved away from having to use a manual optical switcher.

It was really vital in my old setup when I had a TV input, Surround system input and AV switch panel setting to configure when I wanted to use each device. In the pre-HDMI days hooking a PS2, XBox, GameCube, DVD player, Dreamcast and SNES up via a switchbox required a spreadsheet to remind me what to set everything on. The Harmony was the greatest thing ever back then.

Now I put the TV on HDMI1 and press buttons on the Yamaha receiver remote until the front panel tells me it's on the right one. I'll probably set up the Harmony again one day but I keep forgetting I have it.

Re the remote fun, I think it's a lion thing with the remote. Under certain circumstances the Apple remote allows you to control the internal volume, but most of the time it doesn't. It's fucking weird. All the Harmony is doing is replacing the Apple remote function so its no wonder that the Harmony is doing it too.

If only I could work out why...
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

The Mac thread

Post by mech »

Twit: yes and yes. Much more control options.
Vzzzbx
Bob Brown’s Rainbow Cumrag
XBL ID: Fairlie Arrow
PSN ID: vzbxvzbx
Steam ID: vzbxvzbx

Post by Vzzzbx »

Wife's MBA suddenly decided it wouldn't see the wireless network. Totally refused to acknowledge it. Rebooting everything made no difference. Clearing all the network settings did nothing. Lion left me high and dry, offered me absolutely no help at all. Then after about 20 minutes of this blind-man crap it magically connected as though nothing had ever happened. Fuck Apple, god damned wankbox fucking pieces of shit.
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

Checked the console for something more sinister at play?
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent
XBL ID: Twit AU
PSN ID: KAKwit
Steam ID: KAKwit

Post by Twit »

Vzz - Are you saying it couldn’t even see your WiFi network, or it could see it but not connect, or it connected but couldn’t get out?

I started having some problems with WiFi after Lion too. I ended up getting a new router though and the problems mostly went away. The only one I sometimes hit now is the “Another device on the network is using your IP address” thing.
Vzzzbx

Post by Vzzzbx »

I was getting the first AND ths second, for some reason. Fixed it by changing bandwidth from 20 MHz to 40 MHz (or the other way round, can't remember) and the channel from 12 to 1. I don't know why half a dozen other Apple devices remained unaffected the whole time.

I stopped getting IP conflicts once I assigned every client its own IP address.
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

I just did the switch to change the Harmony remote device from being an Apple remote to a Plex remote and that’s MUCH better. Wakes and sleeps like I want, proper button support, and it doesn’t do that volume up / down thing. Excellent.
westical
Lockyer's Lovechild
Lockyer's Lovechild
XBL ID: westical

Post by westical »

OK, so I caved...

But I can't get any sound using toslink direct to my Z5500. Cable lights up red, but no signal. Starting to piss me off...
Vzzzbx

Post by Vzzzbx »

Vzzzbx wrote:I was getting the first AND ths second, for some reason. Fixed it by changing bandwidth from 20 MHz to 40 MHz (or the other way round, can't remember) and the channel from 12 to 1. I don't know why half a dozen other Apple devices remained unaffected the whole time.
I dunno what the fuck's going on here but the wireless is forever dropping out now. Hate configuring wireless so much.
Cardsy

Post by Cardsy »

westical wrote:OK, so I caved...

But I can't get any sound using toslink direct to my Z5500. Cable lights up red, but no signal. Starting to piss me off...
Caved on what? What are you trying to do?
westical
Lockyer's Lovechild
Lockyer's Lovechild
XBL ID: westical

Post by westical »

On buying a Mac Mini.

Just tried a different cable. Now works. Son of a bitch...
mech

The Mac thread

Post by mech »

Vzzzbx wrote:
Vzzzbx wrote:I was getting the first AND ths second, for some reason. Fixed it by changing bandwidth from 20 MHz to 40 MHz (or the other way round, can't remember) and the channel from 12 to 1. I don't know why half a dozen other Apple devices remained unaffected the whole time.
I dunno what the fuck's going on here but the wireless is forever dropping out now. Hate configuring wireless so much.
Between this and Wavebird I think you've got something killing wireless at your place. Have you got a microwave running 24/7? Maybe it's your brain spewing out telepathic signals.
Vzzzbx

The Mac thread

Post by Vzzzbx »

Wireless was sound for about a year so I dunno. A new neighbour moved in and started having loads of noisy sex, maybe that's doing it.
Cardsy

Post by Cardsy »

Maybe GameHED's in the basement with a double tinfoil hat and a geiger counter?
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

Vzzzbx's actual name was going to be Timothy, but the interference left him with that retarded username.
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
Pointy Cat
What Amazing!
What Amazing!

Post by Pointy Cat »

So I've had my Macbook Air for a few weeks now and I must say I'm really pleased with it, even more than when I first got it. Because of the fast boot up and the fantastic touch pad I'm finding myself using it a lot more than I thought I would. Ah Asus, thanks for doing me a favour by releasing a rushed piece of shit*, I wouldn't have bought this thing otherwise!

*From what I've read the crashing problems with ICS on the TF Prime STILL haven't been fixed. Asus is telling people this month some time. Lawl. Had I kept it I do think I would have snapped it in half by now.
mech

Post by mech »

Yeah I love my Macbook Air. It feels faster than my older Macbook Pro which has higher specs, I guess because of the SSD.
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

Yeah same here. I was initially worried that it might be a frivolous purchase but it turned out to be awesome.
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

For anyone using Plex who has that issue of iTunes starting up unless you have Quicktime running, I’ve found that the following seems to work:
http://lifehacker.com/5651055/free-your ... -manual-ha" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...but the file they mention exists here:
http://nomitsu.com/download.php?file=mmfix" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That works for me but it still brings up the annoying volume overlay when I’m navigating up and down. If I could get rid of that I’d be much happier. Another change that was suitable to my setup was replacing the Quit option on the Home screen with Sleep:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=871034" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mech

Post by mech »

I thought you solved the volume thing with the remote?
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

Nup. I thought I had but it came back. I can get rid of it temporarily but after a sleep it comes back.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

I'm running an i5 2010 MacBook Pro but have yet to jump to Lion. Is it worth the upgrade from Snow Leopard or are most of the changes just cosmetic?
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

2010 MacBook Pro? Yeah. Probably. I have the same model albeit with the i7 and it uses the K64 kernel instead of K32.

I'm probably going to buy a new one at the next refresh. Could use some of that quad core powa~~
mech

The Mac thread

Post by mech »

Twit wrote:Nup. I thought I had but it came back. I can get rid of it temporarily but after a sleep it comes back.
just don't sleep - it uses next to no power! :D
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

lion is great on a laptop, fullscreen apps + swiping to change is excellent
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard