the Metal thread

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Re: the Metal thread

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I wish 10,000 Days never happened. I was happy, thinking Maynard was into some deep philosophical shit. But then that album, and specifically that song came out, and it just ruined the magic of the band for me. You mean to say all this time it's just been abut his mum?
Not to knock that song, since it's pretty magnificent, but it's just left me wondering about and doubting everything else. We have people going on about how Descending is all about a call to arms for the human race, and that 7empest is decrying the way the media is controlled by shadowy figures.... but honestly, I can't help thinking it's just Maynard complaining about being famous, and doesn't like lawyers. Again.

Having said that, Descending is pretty transcendent.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Stop killing the magic for me!

How long after 10k Days did you learn the song was about his mum?
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

About a day. The buildup to the release had some of the band members saying that 10,000 Days was the key to understanding their work to date, so a quick search on Google and a visit to the TDN forums were all that was needed.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Ahh ok, I didn't find out till quite a while after when I was searching for the lyrics. It was actually had the opposite effect on me, blew my mind that you can affiliate the song with one meaning then hear there was another story behind it.

Currenty doing my first listen of Fear Inoculum, just starting the 3rd song. Had to download it since the album had sold out everywhere and restock wasn't supposed to be till late Oct. Ordered it from the UK (as Unfunk knows) and ended up costing me $40nzd cheaper than retail here.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

So is that the limited edition tomby? Is there even a standard CD version? I've got it on preorder with JB, looks like it's going to be a week or two away yet. But I'm glad to hear it's actually looking like a limited release. With Tool fanboys being pretty rabid, it might actually hold its value.

Knowing 10,000 days was about his mum also had a positive effect on me. I'm not usually one to care about lyrics, but I liked those. Maynard has always been a whiny bitch, though. He's always hated the general population, that's pretty evident in Aenima. It's probably amplified recently and is throughout the most recent Puscifer and A Perfect Circle albums. I haven't read the lyrics for the new album, and it's pretty hard to follow the way the vocals are so I can't comment on this new album. He's really taken a back seat on this album eh. I think he's been consistent with his disdain for humanity as a whole, though.

Gees 7empest is a beast of a song.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Heh, just listening to 7empest now. Fuck that Chocolate Chip Trip is proof Carey still has it after all those years. Yeah Madmya, the LE will be a limited release, can't imagine them producing too many of those, you know what's in the cover this time eh? Pretty much all their CD first prints were Limited, Undertow with its clear case, Aenema with it's holographic cover, Lateralus with its clear booklet and 10,000 Days with it's old school style 3D pics with Bifocals built into the case. My Lateralus is one of the rarer ones as it has a typo on one of the songs on the back of the slip cover.

Finished listening to the album now, for my first listen Descending was the standout track for me, but only because of the last 4-5 minutes, but still, it's the one I remembered. Listened to it on surround headphones, but next time hopefully on my hifi in the lounge provided the kids and missus aren't around.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Chocolate Chip Trip is the bomb! :lol:
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I think my favourite part of 7empest is when you think you're at the end, and you look at the clock, only to see there's still five minutes left of the song :lol:
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

t0mby wrote:Ordered it from the UK (as Unfunk knows) and ended up costing me $40nzd cheaper than retail here.
Reckon we should have picked up an extra copy or two each. Amazon has it for $200 now, and people are reporting that some places are cancelling orders placed at the RRP/MSRP and hiking the prices up a tonne...
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

unfnknblvbl wrote:
t0mby wrote:Ordered it from the UK (as Unfunk knows) and ended up costing me $40nzd cheaper than retail here.
Reckon we should have picked up an extra copy or two each. Amazon has it for $200 now, and people are reporting that some places are cancelling orders placed at the RRP/MSRP and hiking the prices up a tonne...
I'd believe it. Saw an aution on Ebay got for more than nzd retail. All the auctions had 15+ bids, but the link I shared with you on Friday was the cheapest purchase + shipping I could find, was just lucky.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Danny Carey's beat under the solo in 7empest is mesmerising. I can hear it in my head like some kind of primal, ancestral knowledge passed down on the generic level. Somehow, this is the beat from which all drum beats descended. It is the only drum beat.

Quite how he's managed to do this in such a fucked up time signature is beyond me. I can't even fathom 21/8, and I'm a good musician!

Fuck, I need some mind-altering substances...
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Hahaha. It's a crazy song. That part with 5 mins left, that's probably my favourite part of the album.

I find it hard to split this song and Descending. Gees I'm smashing Tool of late.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Madmya wrote:That part with 5 mins left, that's probably my favourite part of the album.
The part where you go "holy crap, what an intense song that was", only to realise it's only two thirds over... :laugh:
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

hahaha, yes that part!

I got the physical album today :nana:
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

unfnknblvbl wrote:
Fuck, I need some mind-altering substances...
First time I heard Aenema I was on acid, listened to the whole album and it blew my mind. Mind you, it's got some pretty fucked up fillers on there too.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

I feel exhausted each time after listening to 7empest. 11/10.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

This is as metal as it gets.

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/man-bu ... lack-metal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

New Gojira album dropped today
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

I love this album and this band. Gojira are awesome.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

New Mastodon dropped a little while ago, and I'm only just listening to it now. It's pretty rad. I'm only a fairly recent convert to these guys, for some reason..