TV Shows

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Re: TV Shows

Post by guttermouth »

Watched the first episode of Masters of Universe.....yeah won't be going back

Signed up for Apple TV through the PSN+ deal, 6 months free. Wow, literally lacking library. But did find Ted Laso, what a fucken awesome series. Binged watched the 1st season and a half in a week. I hate soccer but this show has me hooked. Now started watching For all Mankind. It said during the Space race in the 60's and Russia where the first to land on the moon. So far its pretty good.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Masters of Universe : Revelation was just awful. I wasn't impressed and I collect the odd versions of Skeletor and He-Man (none of the others), but what I don't collect and have absolutely no interest in is Teela or Evil-lyn, which was what the show ended up being about. Even my 7 year old son after watching a few episodes, yells out to me "hey Dad, this Masters of the Univers show isn't actually about He-Man or Skeletor..." I told him he was very observant. The only thing I did like was that Skeletor wasn't voiced similarly to the 80's version of Skeletor, which I thought diminished his title of "Lord of Destruction"...although he seemed no less bumbling than he was in the OG series.

I guess they could get away with it because in the old days the show was called He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, which it is not called this time around. I get the feeling the Kevin Smith was trying to court the new and improved Hollywood where strong white male leads are just too toxic for the modern audience.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I went through the entire series of The Sopranos a few months ago, removing it from my list of shame. No joke when I say a 10/10 show.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Funny you should say that, I bought the complete series on Blu Ray when I was in Aus a few months ago. Currently a few EPs into Season 2. I had only ever watched one whole ep before back in the 90s and as it happened it was an ep early in S1, the one where Tony goes out of town with his daughter to look at Colleges.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

err. lots to say.
it'll have to wait until after werk.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Alright. I've watched this trailer probably 10 times today. I haven't watched any commentary on it whatsoever yet, so it is my pure, undiluted thoughts.

Disclaimer, and I want to get this out of the way first, and not touch on it again. I am not happy with the blackwashing of this show, and I've hinted at that in this very thread. Without spoilering, race in the Wheel of Time plays a somewhat important narrative role.
So out there on the internet and over the next year, you might see WoT purists not happy about some of these casting choices. They are justified in their disappointment. It is not racism.
Egwene, Nynaeve and Perrin being black is straight up wrong. Rand (the main character) being white is straight up wrong. This is canon.
Based off the strength of this trailer, I'm 100% prepared to overlook this. It will be interesting how they handle this later in the series though.
I am completely pumped.

Two Rivers looks amazing. Exactly how I imagined it.
Rand, Perrin and Mat drinking together - Excellent.
Tar Valon and the White Tower - Excellent.
Moiraine - AWESOME
The Aes Sedai - Excellent.
Elaida and the Red Ajah - AWESOME
Perrin mixing with the wolves - AWESOME
Lan looks fucking AWESOME
The trailer doesn't really give us a good look at the Trollocs.
Logain the false dragon in the cage - excellent.
The fade - AWESOME
Lan and Moiraine fighting together at the end of the trailer - oh fuck yeah.

ROLL ON NOVEMBER BABY!
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

“The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose above the great mountainous island of Tremalking. The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.”

"We'll drink the wine till the cup is dry,
And kiss the girls so they'll not cry,
And toss the dice until we fly,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Oh man.
"Don't read the books again before November! Don't read the books again before November! Stay strong!"
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

I need to go back and read the series from the beginning. I gave up on it back in the 90s because it seemed never ending. Said to see Jordan pass away but glad the circle was closed out.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Books 1-6 are without a doubt my favorite, with the battle of Dumai Wells also being my favorite battle. I can't wait to see that on the show.
After that it becomes a slog. Robert Jordan himself couldn't control the narrative mess he'd created. There's just far too much going on.
I can't remember which book it is, maybe book 8 or 9, literally none of the major story arcs are progressed AT ALL in the entire 700-800 pages. It's literally paralyzed by its own complexity. Horrible. It's one hell of a commitment to keep pressing on.
But then you are rewarded. Brandon Sanderson is an absolute fucking genius to close it out so well.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Should a grown adult be enjoying Rick & Morty? I saw the trailer on Netflix last night by accident and it actually looked alright, I chuckled so I put it on and it's hilarious. Does the show maintain this level for long? Netflix says 5 seasons.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
stanard
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: shimma
PSN ID: shimma1138
Steam ID: stanard

Post by stanard »

Yeah it does maintain it pretty well. Season 5 was a bit more bit and miss, but overall it's well worth it. There's quite a few real standout episodes too.

Every episode (I think) has a post credit scene btw!
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Yeah I worked out there was a post scene credit straight away (except the Pilot) because Netflix will give you the option to skip credits, but it doesn't. Just finished ep4 with M. Night Sham- Aliens ep about the dark matter. Geez, what a trip. :lol:

Great to hear the quality is maintained, looking forward to more, just don't want to get burned out binging it too quick.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

There's some absolute pure gold comedy throughout the Rick and Morty series.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Fuck I laughed at that episode in Season 1 when Morty wanted to lead the adventure and they went to like a Jack and the Beanstalk world. The part when they were in court and Rick says they'll probably get knocked out in prison when someone drops a giant soap and then they'll get raped. 🤣

Show does not disappoint.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

I like this. I like this a lot.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Squid Game

Generic overhyped boring overacted predictable overhyped not-scary boring Korean hunger games rip off shit. Would not recommend it to anyone male aged over 21. Absolute waste of my time. I hated it. I lose respect for anyone who describes it as "scary".
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Eldest watched it all the way through already and said meh.
Wife is mid way and losing interest.
Both say Alice in Borderlands is better.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

I enjoyed most of it, but I turn off from the acting as I find that Asian acting/comedy is a bit different from Western, i's like
a lot Jackie Chan films pre Hollywood. Definitely overrated though, can't see how a Korean ISP is going to successfully sue Netflix over it's popularity.

Back to Rick & Morty, nearly at the end of season 3, the imagination that goes into some of these eps is outstanding. Last two I've just watched was the Citadel Stories with Morty becoming president and the Morty Memory ep where they reply memories Morty and Rick had erased.
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

R&M is excellent, I frequently go back with the intention of watching a favourite episode then end up rewatching a season or two. Really interested to see what they do after the S5 finale.

Partied too hard on Friday and couldn't sleep so I watched all of Squid Game absolutely munted. Watched about 30 seconds dubbed before switching to Korean with English subs. Some of the acting is undeniably dogshit (the VIPs, jfc) and it's not even vaguely scary, but I liked it overall. The last episode was pretty epic.

Still struggling to see how the court looks even vaguely like a squid.
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

guttermouth wrote: 21 Aug 2021 08:46 pmSigned up for Apple TV through the PSN+ deal, 6 months free. Wow, literally lacking library. But did find Ted Laso, what a fucken awesome series. Binged watched the 1st season and a half in a week. I hate soccer but this show has me hooked. Now started watching For all Mankind. It said during the Space race in the 60's and Russia where the first to land on the moon. So far its pretty good.
I keep forgetting I've even got Apple TV, got a free year with my iPhone that's almost expired. Really just want to cop Foundation and whatever that movie is with Bill Murray and Rashida Jones. Do you get the free six months just through having an active PS+ account, or was it a specific bundle you bought?
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

Just by having an active PS+ account. Watching foundation so frigen good. Imvasion a new series just went up this week which is next on my list.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

The wait is over.
Tomorrow baby! 10am (Bris) I think.
The first three episodes drop tomorrow, then one every week till Xmas.
I have a fucking meeting. When it's over I'm in on Episode 1.

Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

FUCKING WOW.
Episode 1 down.
I have some minor quibbles. Naturally, there are changes from the books, that make sense and I'm ok with them.
But this is a far better representation of the Wheel of Time than I ever expected was possible.
Ep1: 10 OUT OF 10.

It's too long to knock off......
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Okay, I read the reviews first and went into it with a heavy sense of disappointment - another show trading in on the source material and screwing it up (Foundation does this - probably the most disappointed I've been in a show, ever). It was odd though, all the reviewers were down on it and I think it has nothing to do with the show itself and everything to do with the growing MSM hatred of Bezos. Don't get me wrong, Bezos seems a bit douchey but it should have nothing to do with a TV show. Also, I struggled with the books but I remember enough from the first four to hope they didn't screw it up.

Binged the first three episodes and damn, they have nailed it. I am positive the reviewers have never read the source books (or any books for that matter) which obvious as one reviewer kept comparing it to GOT. It skews almost perfectly to the first book - the Trollocs and Fade look genuinely menacing and the sequence in Shadar Logoth, despite being a little CGI heavy, was very well done. I never had a strong sense of the character's physical appearance from the books so to me, the casting is spot on - especially Pike as Moraine, Henney as Lan, Zoe Robbins as Nynaeve and all the actors bar Rand's. Rand's actor isn't bad though, just doesn't seem as natural as the others. I feel as though the Wheel of Time is the perfect series to serialise as the original books were extremely heavy on exposition, lore and language that was hard to paint a picture of - particularly all the names and places. So far, the production crew have really done well with world building.

Very impressed so far - far exceeds the pap that Netflix has been pumping out recently. I'd even go to say that Amazon's home made productions are far more premium than Netflix's. Very excited for the rest of the series.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.