The Stormtrooper Thread

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

The Stormtrooper Thread

Post by Cletus »

We've all wanted one. Deny it if you must.
Have at me gentlemen but before you do I should add, Nicole bought it for me because I mentioned I wanted one. I'd put a few auctions on watch on Ebay a few days earlier and told her yesterday. Half an hour later she called me to say she sniped a winning bid on a kit and it will be here for my birthday in a few weeks. It's either true love or after 23 years she's given up hoping we'll ever be normal folk.

Oh, better show the pictures put up by the seller. All the feedback on the suits is perfect.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Cletus on 19 Jul 2015 01:15 am, edited 7 times in total.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Re: It's going to come out eventually so here it is.

Post by t0mby »

Cletus wrote:I don't expect to wear it often. I do expect to wear it to Con type events, choosing the Stormtrooper for the anonymity factor. There is another here who will be joining me in this endeavour but I won't name names.
We already know about Juz=Princess Leia, but is there someone else from here as well? :D
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA
XBL ID: Shaneus
PSN ID: Shaneus2k2
Steam ID: Shaneus2k2

Post by Shaneus »

Cletus wrote:make it so
Wrong franchise.
KillKen
lazy
XBL ID: KillKen

Post by KillKen »

That's cool Cletus, does it have the voice thing to make you sound like a stormtrooper? I saw a few guys dressed as Stormtroopers at last years SDCC and they had it, was very cool!
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Post by BruceCamblzChin »

Oh niiiiiiiiiiiice.

Would love to get one myself.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

After a bit of research it appears this costume is a Stunt ANH Stormtrooper. I didn't know this until last night but there are two main types of original ST helmets from the original series. The flat lensed helmets are referred to as Stunt. About 50 were made for the majority of shots involving Stormtroopers. These helmets are not perfectly symmetrical. They were made from a green plastic and painted white. Another 6 were made with finer detailing for close up shots. They are referred to as Hero. When Han and Luke are wearing Stormtrooper outfits they are wearing these. The main difference in appearance is the lenses. The Hero version has bubble lenses not flat ones. The helmet is more symmetrical. They were made from white plastic and not painted. I might try to make a set of bubble lenses for my helmet although it doesn't really matter.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

how much? I'm looking to buy costumes to wear in my band :D
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Armour cost about $360 with postage.
Undersuit, gloves, boots and neck seal should be around about another $200.
Holster probably 60 bucks.

E-11 Blaster is the difficult piece.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Nice price. So you gotta paint it Cletus?
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Holy shit, that's like, twice as much as I paid for my pimp suit :lol:
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

This is the Ebay seller for the armour kit.
http://stores.ebay.com/35MM-HEROES" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apparently the kit comes with all the decals and apart from the thermal detonator requires no painting. I may hand paint it for a more authentic look but the decals might look fine. Both were used in the actual movie. Hand painted first then decals later.

KillKen wrote:That's cool Cletus, does it have the voice thing to make you sound like a stormtrooper? I saw a few guys dressed as Stormtroopers at last years SDCC and they had it, was very cool!
I'll definitely mod it to have a built in mic and hidden external speaker and I'll be trying to get it as close to perfect as I possibly can
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

decals, nice. Piece of piss, track to chaos about weathering, his balls are the most weathered in all of Hobart.
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

So $600 all up for the suit? That's awesome, may have to ask you more about it later in the year.
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Post by GeneraL CyberFunK »

I actually had a conversation with a guy from the 501st on Wednesday and he advised me that to get a 501st approved one, you'd be looking at $1600 to buy? The cheaper ones apparently aren't movie accurate and if you bought one, you wouldn't be allowed to join the 501st if you wanted to.

He gave me his card though and I must say I do want one... talk of stormtrooper outfits twice in a week... I think the universe is trying to tell me something. :D
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Holy fuck I just looked at this very auction the other day for shits and giggles. That is very freaky indeed.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Yeah I'm reading that there are levels for the 501st and what I've bought appears to be entry level. To be honest if it is entry level I'll be happy. I'd most likely do much of the modding it might need to push it into a higher level. That and I don't want my first suit to cost a huge sum. I'd want to know that I'd use it and then if a better suit is warranted, look at things from there. The armour I bought is sold as 501st approved "after breathing holes are cut into helmet". His feedback is 100 percent perfect and there are a lot of these suits sold with very positive feedback. Someone spending hundreds of dollars on armor isn't likely to be a casual fan. Even casual fans would feel the need to rip on the armour if it isn't up to scratch. If it looks like proper Stormtrooper armor I'm not going to be too bothered if it isn't movie perfect initially. I'd definitely consider joining the 501st if my suit can be brought up to scratch.

pilonv1 wrote:So $600 all up for the suit? That's awesome, may have to ask you more about it later in the year.
Say between 6 and 7 hundred, and that still doesn't factor in a blaster. Before you all go off trying to buy one, a Hasbro version, even altered to near perfection is not 501st approved. To get a realistic E-11 blaster looks like it may come down to doing something scratch built. There are resin kits on Ebay. Anyway, I'm not worrying about the blaster for the moment.
pilonv1
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Not concerned about 501st approved, would be a gift for someone so it's more for novelty than authenticity.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Ok in that case and after hours of reading I can say this. The armour I've bought is definitely a negative of the FX armour. 95% of the 501st wear it but it is not screen accurate. It is definitely entry level armour though and to most people/fans it looks like the real deal. The Helmet for this set of armour is oversized. Most of the advice is that if you really wanted a more authentic look, swap the helmet for a better one over time but it's purely personal choice. Personally I'm actually happy to have a slightly bigger helmet because I have a lot of hair. I'll probably be able to install a fan in there to keep me cooler which is an upside.

Another thing about FX armour is that it is far more suitable for larger people and requires less modifications but that doesn't affect me.

As far as a gift goes, it's still 501st approved, the cheapest around and quite well regarded in terms of strength and durability. Unless you actually want to go to extra lengths then the armour I've linked is probably your best choice.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Cletus wrote: Personally I'm actually happy to have a slightly bigger helmet because I have a lot of hair. I'll probably be able to install a fan in there to keep me cooler which is an upside.
Pics of hair getting caught in fan please.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

It's going to come out eventually so here it is.

:lol: a Stormtrooper running round a con trying to rip his helmet/ hair off!
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!
XBL ID: Burnzoire
Steam ID: Burnzoire

Post by Burnzoire »

BruceCamblzChin wrote:his balls are the most weathered in all of Hobart.
As is your forehead!

:nana:
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

That's shit.

Shit bloke.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Also, if you're looking into a set of armour that is really really authentic and you don't mind parting with more money then there are a few more builds you can look into.

SDS version is supposedly taken from the actual original casts which were restored after alterations made for RoTJ. £995.00 or $1552 aus. You're still left to buy boots, blaster and neck seal. But it's certainly nice armour.

http://www.sdsprops.com/shop-online/sto ... rmour.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

BruceCamblzChin wrote:That's shit.

Shit bloke.
:rollin:
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Box of armour arrived today. I'll start on it at the end of the week. It's going to take a while.