So how about that Microsoft Surface?

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Re: So how about that Microsoft Surface?

Post by Madmya »

GeneraL CyberFunK wrote:So.. What exactly are. The differences between the pro and this newly announced surface?
Now it's more of a Surface Pro 3 Lite. They explicitly say to go for the Surface Pro 3 if editing is your thing - the Surface 3 won't handle it. This is the casual version: 10.8 inches rather than 12 or 13 that the Pro 3 is (but it keeps the aspect ratio of the Pro 3 rather than Surface 2), the processor doesn't require a fan so there's no vents (see pic), the thing can now be charged by a mobile phone charger (excellent) and it's lighter (which you'd hope given the size difference).

Ha, Sculli we were both eagerly awaiting the Pro 3 then nadda. I too am looking forward to the Pro 4, I have no option but to buy a new one now. My 64gb space is up and that's practically without any fun time games installed on steam, no music, video, etc. I want something now, but with the Pro 4 seemingly just around the corner...
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

So it's going to be $699 here for the base model, but once you add the keyboard and pen you start approaching the pro price pretty quick.

A bit out my price range, I can't really justify spending more than $700, probably wait for an asus chi update with cherry trail.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Surface semi pro... about time!

Aud seems to have dented pricing compared with pro3.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Surface Pro 4 wasn't announced at Microsoft's BUILD talk unfortunately. I'm getting desperate, the power cable to my Surface Pro is becoming problematic and I've been pushing up against the 64gb disk space limit for a while now (onedrive doesn't work when there's <200mb). The rumours are that #4 is going to be similar to the Pro 3 design-wise to not fuck with people purchasing peripherals like the docking station. I'm thinking of just going with the Pro 3. There was a price decrease last week but it only lasted 1 week (which made me think the Pro 4 was defs going to be announced) so that is making me stall again.
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

All the rumors have been shit. There have been just as many rumors claiming there will be a 14" version of the Pro 4.

Gonna hang out for it. Really hoping Skylake processors make it in.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Since the release of Surface 3 (and after the price drop which lasted one week) the RRP of the Pro 3 has gone up! The fuck? Not by a small amount either, I'm talking $400 on the i7s.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

Crazy, must be to make the S3 look like a good budget option.

Speaking of, I'm thinking about picking one up, gonna learn how to create mobile apps and websites.

This would handle PhotoShop and all that yeah?
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

That's what I'm thinking, but it's also probably due to our weakening dollar. It's just so rare to see a piece of electronics go up in price after it's nearly a year old, and frustrating in my case. I'll look on the bright side - this will make me wait for the Pro 4 but now I have to grudgingly buy a power cable that costs $100.

If you're going to want to use photoshop maybe go for the 128gb version because it has double the RAM. I can't see why it wouldn't run Photoshop but it's definitely not designed for performance.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Madmya wrote:Since the release of Surface 3 (and after the price drop which lasted one week) the RRP of the Pro 3 has gone up! The fuck? Not by a small amount either, I'm talking $400 on the i7s.
How fucked is that? I was seriously considering a Surface Pro 3 when my tax return came in but MS can get fucked. Jacking the price for no reason other than so they don't have to lower the price of the budget options too much...
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

Been reading about the s3 and sp3 at whirlpool, the increase is indeed due to our falling dollar since launch a year back... I get that but its sux.

The s3 is just 500 smackers in the US, 700 here is steep
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

$500US equates to $626 here, then add on GST and we're pretty close to $700. 'tis a shame. The glory days of the strong dollar are over.

I'm shit out of luck, there's no Surface Pro power cables anywhere. Microsoft is sold out too. I've asked if they've been discontinued and they said no, so clearly everyone's is fucking out at the same time!

Not cool.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Just found a genuine power cable on eBay.

Yeah Rors definitely don't buy a Pro 3. Not only is it shit that it's gone up in price, but especially when it's so close to becoming obsolete.
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

Jizz I wouldn't go the Surface 3 for Photoshop unless you're going to be doing very light photoshopping. Surface Pro 3 will handle it fine though.

Honestly, I still can't wait for the Surface Pro 4. I've got $900 worth of Westfield credit I've been accumulating over the past year or so that will be going towards the SP4.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

Too late sculli :)

typing this up on my new s3 (4gb ram version).
Harvey Norman salesperson had no fucking idea what the S3 was, they only had the SP3 on display... and at the old prices.

I stupidly told the dude that I thought the price went up, without doing my sums and realising the i3 SP3 is only $60 more expensive than the 128gb S3 and stylus... the pro comes with a stylus.
The salesperson grabbed all the price tickets and ran off to check, then confirmed the higher pricing.

Anyway, I kinda want a fanless version... I get it's a glorified atom tablet but I think it'll do what I need, and I really wanted something I could use to draw on, and I the surface pro 3 is fairly popular with artists.

Not paying $180 for a type pad, I've seen the type pad 2 for $40, still works but doesn't quite cover the screen when closed... that'll do.

Fucking stupid Aussie dollar.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

What gets me is that they would have bought stock at the old price so there is no reason to bump the price unless they had sold out (which strikes me as unlikely). In any event, not a huge thing. I recently got $7K in store credit from the Apple Store so will look at getting a new 15 inch MacBook Pro in the next refresh.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

The bloke at HN reckons apple did the exact same thing, overnight price rise.

He was a bullshit artist though, never had a salesperson hassle me for the extended warranty like this guy, tried to tell me I couldn't register with Microsoft for an extra year (which I have now done)... real wanker, i'll go to JB next time.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

One thing I miss most about Japan are the massive electronic retailers that trade by volume so they don't have to be pushy arseholes and generally more knowledgeable about what they sell. JB is okay by comparison, I usually buy most of my stuff from them. They also have the odd great deal. The best one recently was the Sony RX100 Mark III for $850 (usually $999). So far as I could tell, that was the best price anywhere on planet Earth. Was tempted to get one but I'm holding out for a Toshiba X100T
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

I hate the while extended warranty crap, I know it's coming every time I buy something like this and it's always uncomfortable as I feel like a cunt for saying no.

This guy last night would not let it go, I will be avoiding Harvey Norman if i can from now on.
He was telling me to buy the warranty over the stylus ffs.
Mavy
XBL ID: Mavy
PSN ID: iwantalogin

Post by Mavy »

I just tell them I only buy extended warranties if they are free. So unless they're going to include it in the price they can keep it.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

My OG Surface Pro has no extended warranty. It still works.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

One thing I love about the surface is how good it feels, it looks great and sturdy... even my RT.
My wife is using that for her studies with a 2nd gen type pad and she loves it, does everything she needs inc flash (shes doing an online course).

I'm going to be drawing a LOT on the S3, works so good... one I get to know the software (starting with sketchbook) i'll be doing some good stuff, this must be an artists dream.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

So, I saw my Apple wireless keyboard lying around and decided to hook it up to my new 128gig iPad Air 2 - basically have an MacBook Air now. Only downside is there is no real alternative on iOS for Photoshop and Lightroom beyond their mobile offerings but I also picked up the Lightening to USB connector and the iPad can read RAW files natively which is awesome. That and Microsoft Office is actually really good on iOS, can see the iPad (almost) replacing my laptop.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

The change to 2GB memory has made a huge difference for me. I can have lots of tabs open plus several other apps with no issues. I just wish I went with the 32GB model.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Apple Store had 12 Months interest free, only reason I went with the top storage model. I already have multiple subscriptions to Microsoft Office 365 and Adobe so have access to cloud storage - works almost seamlessly. Very impressed with the iPad Air 2 - only downside being its inability to play multiple media files and lack of SD expansion. One thing I'll give Apple, they know how to build hardware.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

Hopefully I'm allowed to ask this here :p

i'll need some kind of anti virus for the surface 3, yeah?
What's the best free AV these days?
Avast?