So how about that Microsoft Surface?

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Re: So how about that Microsoft Surface?

Post by jizzlobber »

those knobs start trashing shit straight up, same with this xbox glass thingo which has real potential.
then some people say it's actually pretty good, so the knobs change their tune.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Reports around the Internet are surfacing that show an alleged leaked Microsoft press release about an Xbox-branded tablet.

Supposedly named Xbox Surface, the document details a tablet with 7-inch screen and impressive technical specifications that I'm not going to attempt to decode (you can see the full details below). It apparently also supports "up to 4 wireless game controllers", if it is in fact real.

Microsoft is holding a press conference today in Los Angeles, and speculation has been circulating for a while that it may unveil a Windows tablet device. TechCrunch reckons it will unveil an e-reader in partnership with bookstore chain Barnes and Noble, where MCV has rounded up rumours about a gadget capable of streaming Xbox Live content. If Xbox Surface is real - and there's no guarantee - then it might be announced later today, at 3.30PM LA time (11.30PM BST).

This follows the release of a 56-page document onto the Internet that claimed to be Microsoft's roadmap for the Xbox business up until 2015, containing information on the next Xbox console's price and specifications.

Also Jizz I reckon it'd be a safe bet it'd have an on-screen keyboard. A really safe bet.
PhoneMonkey

Post by PhoneMonkey »

Can't wait for these things to hit. I'm sick of supporting iOS devices with dedicated MDM platforms and secure containers.

These puppies, build them via WDS and be members of the domain, secure and control via GPOs/BitLocker and garnish it with Metro Outlook/Office and at the right price with the right battery life these will absolutely spank iOS in the Enterprise. Fucking stoked.
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

I will miss the familiarity of using iOS but I wont miss anything else.
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

Zune.
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Zune never looked this good
David Carney

Post by David Carney »

I like the look of it. Finally a competitor to the iPad.
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA
XBL ID: Shaneus
PSN ID: Shaneus2k2
Steam ID: Shaneus2k2

Post by Shaneus »

I'm concerned about the base model being not-Intel, but if it runs well enough and can run most PC apps, I'd happily grab that over the heavier, thicker supremo edition. Just waiting on prices.

Still enjoying my Windpad with Win8 preview, though. The new release is quite nice.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

What an awesome product reveal. We see so many now esp tablets but this one has that glimmer separating the usual from the rather exciting. The hardware complete with subtle but substantial innovations looks gorgeous. I love it. I checked in on my windows live profile today in anticipation.
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

Shaneus wrote:(110W runs on the AMD Fusion platform = Radeon powahh)
People really overestimate how much "powahh" the 6620G has. AMD are full of shit when they say they bring discrete GPU power to a CPU.
Scullibundo wrote:A tablet that I can use photoshop and a stylus with on the go, that also has word = bought.

Will wait to give it a go first, but if that stylus feels responsive enough, I'll definitely grab one.
A stylus digitizer is sandwiched into the screen assembly on the pro version and runs at 600dpi.
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

Oh, I saw. I would definitely go the pro version.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Finally a tablet I can see myself using! :shock: It runs Windows, so will run EVERYTHING!!! :up:

Will go the Pro for sure, will be a nice upgrade from my old EeePC (900Mhz, 1GB RAM, Windows XP) :D
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Post by GeneraL CyberFunK »

So hang on... Is it a 10.6 inch screen or 7 inch screen? I thought it was 10.6?
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

I just hope the OS does justice to the awesome design and form of the hardware. I'm reading of touch lag and a need for training to determine how to find navigation items. Lots of swiping in from the side.

I knew iOS was brilliant for ease of use when my sister who is bored shitless by gadgets and tech picked up her eventual iPhone and was competent with it in minutes. This from someone who would have me come over to tune her TV.
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA
XBL ID: Shaneus
PSN ID: Shaneus2k2
Steam ID: Shaneus2k2

Post by Shaneus »

Talez wrote:
Shaneus wrote:(110W runs on the AMD Fusion platform = Radeon powahh)
People really overestimate how much "powahh" the 6620G has. AMD are full of shit when they say they bring discrete GPU power to a CPU.
Scullibundo wrote:A tablet that I can use photoshop and a stylus with on the go, that also has word = bought.

Will wait to give it a go first, but if that stylus feels responsive enough, I'll definitely grab one.
A stylus digitizer is sandwiched into the screen assembly on the pro version and runs at 600dpi.
Power enough to decode a 1080p MKV without dropping any frames. I couldn't give two shits about game performance. It can handle Windows 8 fine (compared to running on a Dell something with an Intel integrated GPU, which looked chuggy as shit) and considering I only paid $250 for it, I'm happy.

And it's the 6310 that's in the 110W :)
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Peppermint Lounge wrote:I just hope the OS does justice to the awesome design and form of the hardware. I'm reading of touch lag and a need for training to determine how to find navigation items. Lots of swiping in from the side.

I knew iOS was brilliant for ease of use when my sister who is bored shitless by gadgets and tech picked up her eventual iPhone and was competent with it in minutes. This from someone who would have me come over to tune her TV.
I've got a feeling Windows 8 won't be easy to pick up and use off the bat. Most new Windows aren't though to be honest. The touch of lag is worrying though.
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Post by GeneraL CyberFunK »

The Samsung slate also had touch lag and it was windows based. They REALLY need to break that trend.
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

RT Version: $599 for 32GB (iPad parity for the same storage) and Wi-Fi only.

No 16GB/low end model.
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

gimmick. just looks like a netbook you can break into two.

gesture based typing could mean accidental typos. Proper keys on a keyboard will always feel better.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!
XBL ID: Burnzoire
Steam ID: Burnzoire

Post by Burnzoire »

There's a mechanical keyboard cover as well. It also has a touch screen that records up to 600dpi making it a great tablet when the kb is removed or folded back. Hardly a netbook. Try watching all of the video.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSj8GUZD ... re=related[/youtube]

so much cloning. Wake me up when we get the holodeck.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

Listening to a couple of mates who are Jobs Knob Jockeys last week had me in stitches.....
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

honestly, this thing looks the bomb. Assuming the x86 version isn't ludicrously expensive or terrible with the battery life, I'll probably get one... but MS can still suck it if they want me to install Win8 on my desktop PC.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Microsoft Surface packs a staggering payload of cool tricks, but there’s one unassuming feature that’s likely to attract game developers: the USB port.

“I don’t like mobile games,” says Jake Kazdal, creative director at the indie developer 17-Bit. “I don’t play them, I don’t like the controls. I’m too much of a core gamer, I just can’t get over it. I’m old and stubborn.”

“And now I don’t care,” he says, “because I can plug in my wired Xbox 360 controller [into Surface] and all of a sudden I have a full-blown games console wherever I go.”
“Our game will support both versions” of Surface, Kazdal said — the ARM processor version and the Intel-powered, Windows 8-compatible Pro.

Although Kazdal is excited about playing games on a tablet with an Xbox 360 controller, he said that Skulls for Surface will ship with “three distinct, discrete control schemes.”

“You can play with mouse and keyboard, you can play with iPad-style touch controls or you can plug in a controller,” he says. “The turn-based game, the action part of it is less intense so you’re not going to screw up as much with the glass-based interface system.”

One can already play PC games on the go by carting around a laptop. But the small size and sleek design of Surface make it a much better option, Kazdal says.

“A laptop is big and bulky,” he says. “I don’t like Windows laptops. I use a Mac.”
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/06/m ... ace-games/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

Why do they have to plug it in? Can't they just use bluetooth, like everyone else with any sense at all?

PS can you connect a ps3 controller to an iPad? Why not? Is it cause you have to use a usb cable to pair?
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard