So how about that Microsoft Surface?

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Re: So how about that Microsoft Surface?

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

With the RT version I really just want to have a play with it. Feel the keyboard, check out the screen, muck around with the UI.

What I'm really excited about is the Pro version, pretty much for the reasons General Chaos listed:
General Chaos wrote:I'm excited about a real os useable in tablet form (would love to see apple head this way with osx in future).

RT isn't for me but I see it as a platform which will acellerate app store content which will feed back into a nicer experience in the x86 tablet space.

In the meantime if I jumped early (x86 tab) I could make do with traditional apps when I am not just pissing around with basic functionality (which is 95% of my tablet use anyhow).

Having a real os under the hood means anything that may not meet marketplace requirements you can still gain access to. Eg emulators, full featured video apps, flash, etc.

Back to RT I guess one thing people may like is the expandability via micro sd and usb and full acess to file system etc. Giving them a sense of control (god knows people can't stop bitching about itunes).
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

Pro makes more sense, I'm talking purely RT.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Yeah RT atm is just another flashy piece of kit. Also see my last point. Otherwise i don't get it either. Mind you I wont complain if people flock to it. Units in hand = more apps for all.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

when is this thing due out?
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Post by GeneraL CyberFunK »

General Chaos wrote:
Back to RT I guess one thing people may like is the expandability via micro sd and usb and full acess to file system etc. Giving them a sense of control (god knows people can't stop bitching about itunes).
The usb port is awesome. While I can already just plug my phone in and drag and drop to my heart's content... it will be a glorious day to be able to do that on a tablet and not have to have itunes involved.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

App support will build as cyberfunk said earlier. I'm pretty confident of that given the promise of the Lumia range and a host of windows 8 products that are incoming.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

I wonder how stability will be. As an iOS and Android user I have to say Android takes a bath vs iOS when it comes to various hangs & crashes. That may vary across hardware manufacturers.
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

My ipad hangs/crashes frequently. My phone just recently has started to reset at random if I exit out of messages. I would say that Surface and any windows phone will be no different.
Cardsy

Post by Cardsy »

GeneraL CyberFunK wrote:My ipad hangs/crashes frequently. My phone just recently has started to reset at random if I exit out of messages. I would say that Surface and any windows phone will be no different.
You're having issues with your iPad? Man you've managed to keep fairly quiet about it so far.
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

I know, right? :D
mech

Post by mech »

Yowzas, the OS takes up almost 8gb on the surface?
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Must be all the device drivers taking up the space.
Steven Sinofsky says Windows RT has drivers for 420 million devices out there
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Steven-S ... ly_id35927" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mech

Post by mech »

Jesus.

What the hell is that website btw? "it quickly throwed in some stats"? "Steven Sinofsky said a 100% of the most popular printers"?
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

The guy who runs it is European, so not a native English language speaker. New site I stumbled across while looking for videos, they do some good phone hardware videos, good rumour mill stuff too.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Luckily if you went RT you could slap a cheap micro SD in and expand your Storage!!! THE HORROR!! :D
mech

Post by mech »

You can't install apps on the extra storage I thought? Mostly for media. Still handy though.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Luckily there's only 3 apps!
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

mech wrote:You can't install apps on the extra storage I thought? Mostly for media. Still handy though.

That's the thing though if you look at an iPads space usage it isn't really the apps it is the content you suck into the Apps.

Also what Madmya said ;)
Pariah
Street Fighter HD Remix Champ

Post by Pariah »

man...

im gonna wait till haswell with Slate Pro & high DPI display for my next tablet..the ipad 3 has done well by me...i love its display but i cant help to notice the limitations of iOS

anandtech review nails why this is the next big step for tablet os's and how ms is onto a winner...im sure ms will figure out a way to screw this up like they do most shit..but hopefully they pull out xbox [aka a luckbox] and make a product that consumers actually want rofl

got to give props to arm platform too...its the only real comp intel have in this day and age...

amd are fucking worthless thankfully the arm platform will scare intel into making even more godlike cpus :)
[img]http://i30.tinypic.com/5as8eq.gif[/img]
mech

Post by mech »

The size of apps is ballooning - most of my 32gb iPad is taken up by apps rather than video now, which surprises me. I do wish I could have a microsd card to put in there to store video on to give me some more room though. 8gb is still an insane amount of space you lose out of the box however.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Pariah. Know much about these new ATOMS? I hear comments from previews of the Atom tablets saying they are quite decent and Intel should have ditched the ATOM name because rightfully it is DIRT!!

I am half thinking a light Atom based 10" tablet that can play 1080p mkv's back would be about spot on for me but it appears all the first wave Atoms are only 1360x768 which just wont cut it coming from the New iPad*

It wouldn't be a processing beast but for casual use it would be slick and give me the option of falling back onto x86 apps on the odd occasion. If after raw power I would remote to a Desktop PC.

*Not the New New iPad, aka the iPad with retina display which would also describe the new iPad ... Wait what? Fucking Apple!! Yeah that idea was real fucking clever until it wasn't.
Pariah

Post by Pariah »

the new atoms are very good..but yeah the 1360x768 res just wont cut it if youre use to high res display [if you can hack the res id say go for it]

:up:
[img]http://i30.tinypic.com/5as8eq.gif[/img]
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Alright, we're looking at about US$1100 for the 128gb Surface Pro with touch pad releasing in January. I'm going to make the jump even though I'm a little weary that it's first gen. But I'm going to get good use out of it, I'll be a pdf king next year and being able to scribble notes on them/highlight areas will be priceless.

How'd the Aussie pricing work out with the RT? Just a straight US$ -> AU$ conversion?
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Pretty expensive. Might stick with the RT
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

It's pretty much a laptop though. I see it as being reasonable.

I would get an RT too, but I really want that pen usage.