Tony Abbott

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Re: Tony Abbott

Post by mech »

Haven't you heard? It's our news too now that Gillard has been dubbed a 'badass motherfucker' by Jezebel.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Tony Abbott

Post by BruceCamblzChin »

Gillard has gone viral. Like a cat video.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Tony Abbott

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Mech in all seriousness my post about gay Peter was in jest, however comparing vaginas to shell fish isn't automatic misogyny.

And at the risk of being obvious as if any of this was about adhering to morals. Both sides have been guilty of worse and will be again. Witness both sides trashing themselves at our expense further to them clambering for that one vote that sees them cling to or obtain power. Everything else is just scenery.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Tony Abbott

Ok at the risk of being not just obvious but also Hercy's parrot. Have I mentioned how much I admire Hercy's work?
Hercy
Makes poor choices in hats
XBL ID: Hercy

Post by Hercy »

mech wrote:http://www.afr.com/p/opinion/this_despe ... NkZuGZ9sSI
Politicians receive personal abuse and female politicians will receive abuse couched in female terms, however unpleasant that may be.
So the AFR is saying that we should just accept that sort of abuse happening. How disgusting.

This bit's pretty rank too:
Mr Abbott is a mainstream Catholic who is opposed to abortion and who talks in the language of everyday Australians, rather than the language and social culture of Labor progressives. But that doesn’t make him a misogynist.
...because Labor doesn't have any progressives.
mech wrote:Plenty of people have been saying "ohhhh what he said isn't that bad"
What, like that AFR article?
Those messages re­leased by the Federal Court this week were ribald, crude and ­sometimes obscene. Whether, of themselves, they would be grounds for dismissal of a speaker is debatable.
As far as I can speak on behalf of "leftists", no-one's happy that Slipper was elected as speaker because the reason for it was to allow the government to water down the pokie reforms (which leftists support). No-one's happy now that Labor voted to keep Slipper as speaker because Slipper is morally bereft. But the point is that on a scale of their track record of fuckery to women, Abbott is in a whole other league to Slipper, and so it's a bit ripe for Abbott to be criticising Slipper for remarks that are unfavourable to women.
mech wrote:You guys are hilarious to watch twisting yourselves in knots trying to get upset at the Liberals as much as possible while the Gillard government just continues to fuck over Australia with its attempts to cling onto power.
Again, no-one's said that they're happy with Labor's votes on the Speaker. But what's the alternative? Abbott fucking over Australia by doing "everything except sell his arse" to cling onto power?

You seem to think that if someone doesn't want Abbott as PM then they must want Gillard. Get with the times. Leftists have moved onto the Greens. Labor is merely less objectionable than the Liberals.
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent
XBL ID: Twit AU
PSN ID: KAKwit
Steam ID: KAKwit

Post by Twit »

No woman should have to endure having her lady bits compared to a mollusk, nor the repeated sexism from the opposition leader. We are blessed to have a PM who will take a stand against such misogyny. Blessed…!!

Sorry - I haven’t done one for awhile and I’m bored.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

lmfao that is like a chihuahua with a beard. Twit wins.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

She looks kind of like a young Bill Oddie.
GW2cameout

Post by GW2cameout »

mech wrote:Haven't seen any? Heads in the sand much?

Plenty of people have been saying "ohhhh what he said isn't that bad" - including Pep, and the stuff Twit quoted up above (" I’m fairly confident the women of Australia can cope"). Imagine if Tony Abbott had said something like that? The uproar would be incredible.

You guys are hilarious to watch twisting yourselves in knots trying to get upset at the Liberals as much as possible while the Gillard government just continues to fuck over Australia with its attempts to cling onto power.
Really? I don't seem to recall anyone here getting up in arms when Abbott was soliciting Thomson for his vote. I'm pretty sure nobody gave a shit. I don't see them up in arms now that they've courted Slipper for his vote too. It's only now that Abbott has made such a big song and dance about his own turncoat that he looks ridiculous in his hypocrisy.
Burnzoire wuz right
mech

Post by mech »

Hercy wrote:
mech wrote:http://www.afr.com/p/opinion/this_despe ... NkZuGZ9sSI
Politicians receive personal abuse and female politicians will receive abuse couched in female terms, however unpleasant that may be.
So the AFR is saying that we should just accept that sort of abuse happening. How disgusting.
Interesting way of reading into that, speaks volumes for how bizarrely you view the world. It's a statement of fact, not an endorsement. They even say it's unpleasant.
This bit's pretty rank too:
Mr Abbott is a mainstream Catholic who is opposed to abortion and who talks in the language of everyday Australians, rather than the language and social culture of Labor progressives. But that doesn’t make him a misogynist.
...because Labor doesn't have any progressives.
This makes no sense.
mech wrote:Plenty of people have been saying "ohhhh what he said isn't that bad"
What, like that AFR article?
They're not attacking Tony Abbott while defending Slipper. This is hilarious.
As far as I can speak on behalf of "leftists", no-one's happy that Slipper was elected as speaker because the reason for it was to allow the government to water down the pokie reforms (which leftists support). No-one's happy now that Labor voted to keep Slipper as speaker because Slipper is morally bereft. But the point is that on a scale of their track record of fuckery to women, Abbott is in a whole other league to Slipper, and so it's a bit ripe for Abbott to be criticising Slipper for remarks that are unfavourable to women.
I love that lefties keep hammering on this point, but what has Abbott actually done that's so belittling to women? I mean actual direct things he's said, not inferences by lefties.
Again, no-one's said that they're happy with Labor's votes on the Speaker. But what's the alternative? Abbott fucking over Australia by doing "everything except sell his arse" to cling onto power?
Yes, I think Abbott WOULD do a better job than Gillard, and not fuck over Australia the way the Labor party is happy to do at the moment. I think another election IS the right thing to do - if the people want a change of government, why not let them have it? If they want to keep Gillard they will.
You seem to think that if someone doesn't want Abbott as PM then they must want Gillard. Get with the times. Leftists have moved onto the Greens. Labor is merely less objectionable than the Liberals.
If people want the Greens over Labor why is their vote not increasing and is in many cases decreasing? Why can't they hold power in their own right? Very few people actually vote for the Greens. I find it pretty amusing how much people delude themselves into thinking they're the majority just because it's what they and their mates think.
Really? I don't seem to recall anyone here getting up in arms when Abbott was soliciting Thomson for his vote. I'm pretty sure nobody gave a shit. I don't see them up in arms now that they've courted Slipper for his vote too. It's only now that Abbott has made such a big song and dance about his own turncoat that he looks ridiculous in his hypocrisy.
Yes, because the situation now is exactly the same as back then, and Tony Abbott is a hypocrite.

:run:
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

ALP are running hard with this coz they literally have nothing else to talk about. Their whole platform for about a year has been "look at them they're dreadful" and soon it will probably be "don't vote for them too much" like Anna Blighs campaign ended up doing.
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

I love that lefties keep hammering on this point, but what has Abbott actually done that's so belittling to women? I mean actual direct things he's said, not inferences by lefties.
From when he was Health Minister:

“We have a bizarre double standard, a bizarre double standard in this country where someone who kills a pregnant woman's baby is guilty of murder but a woman who aborts an unborn baby is simply exercising choice.”

“The problem with the Australian practice of abortion is that an objectively grave matter has been reduced to a question of the mother’s convenience. ”

“Abortion is the easy way out. It's hardly surprising that people should choose the most convenient exit from awkward situations.”

Much of the misogyny related criticism of Abbott would be in regard to his attitudes on abortion, a subject closely tied to women’s rights. In those comments he compared it with murder, labelled it a convenience and an easy way out when for most women it’s a very serious, harrowing and difficult process to go through. He attempted to block the use of Mifepristone (RU486) and introduced a pregnancy support hotline that wouldn’t give out any information on termination.

He labelled university courses on women’s rights as trivial, joked about the infamous “no means no” mantra when talking about debating Gillard, and made that comment about “housewives of Australia need to understand as they do the ironing...” when talking about the effects of an ETS.

“...this idea that sex is kind of a woman's right to absolutely withhold, just as the idea that sex is a man's right to demand I think they are both they both need to be moderated, so to speak”

“I think it would be folly to expect that women will ever dominate or even approach equal representation in a large number of areas simply because their aptitudes, abilities and interests are different for physiological reasons”

I don’t think any of those individual quotes are the smoking gun you’re looking for, but it’s the pattern of conservative catholic ideals that give people cause to question his degree of progressiveness on women’s issues. As the feminist in Hercy’s article concluded: “Unlike conservatives trying to spin this scenario to their advantage, I know what misogyny looks like. And I’d rather a man compare my vagina to a delicious, briny creature of the sea than have them tell me they know better than I what I should be doing with it.”
Hercy
Makes poor choices in hats
XBL ID: Hercy

Re: Re: Tony Abbott

Post by Hercy »

mech wrote:
Hercy wrote:...because Labor doesn't have any progressives.
This makes no sense.
Don't worry, I'll get Twit to explain the joke to you.
mech wrote:Yes, I think Abbott WOULD do a better job than Gillard, and not fuck over Australia the way the Labor party is happy to do at the moment.
And then hopefully he can explain this one to me.
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

I don’t understand either one and I don’t know why you’re picking on me, cyber-bully. I’m not sure what I’m supposed to do now so here's a picture of a young Bill Oddie:

BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Saying Jools looks like Bill Oddie is an insult to Bill Oddie.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

GW2cameout wrote:
mech wrote:Haven't seen any? Heads in the sand much?

Plenty of people have been saying "ohhhh what he said isn't that bad" - including Pep, and the stuff Twit quoted up above (" I’m fairly confident the women of Australia can cope"). Imagine if Tony Abbott had said something like that? The uproar would be incredible.

You guys are hilarious to watch twisting yourselves in knots trying to get upset at the Liberals as much as possible while the Gillard government just continues to fuck over Australia with its attempts to cling onto power.
When did this happen? I remember him saying Thomson's vote is tainted and wanted him removed from parliament altogether, even running outside when he tried to vote with him. I did read yesterday that a cabinet MP was trying to solicit his vote, is that what you're talking about?
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Twit wrote:

“We have a bizarre double standard, a bizarre double standard in this country where someone who kills a pregnant woman's baby is guilty of murder but a woman who aborts an unborn baby is simply exercising choice.”

“The problem with the Australian practice of abortion is that an objectively grave matter has been reduced to a question of the mother’s convenience. ”

“Abortion is the easy way out. It's hardly surprising that people should choose the most convenient exit from awkward situations.”

Much of the misogyny related criticism of Abbott would be in regard to his attitudes on abortion, a subject closely tied to women’s rights. In those comments he compared it with murder, labelled it a convenience and an easy way out when for most women it’s a very serious, harrowing and difficult process to go through. He attempted to block the use of Mifepristone (RU486) and introduced a pregnancy support hotline that wouldn’t give out any information on termination.

He labelled university courses on women’s rights as trivial, joked about the infamous “no means no” mantra when talking about debating Gillard, and made that comment about “housewives of Australia need to understand as they do the ironing...” when talking about the effects of an ETS.

“...this idea that sex is kind of a woman's right to absolutely withhold, just as the idea that sex is a man's right to demand I think they are both they both need to be moderated, so to speak”

“I think it would be folly to expect that women will ever dominate or even approach equal representation in a large number of areas simply because their aptitudes, abilities and interests are different for physiological reasons”

I don’t think any of those individual quotes are the smoking gun you’re looking for, but it’s the pattern of conservative catholic ideals that give people cause to question his degree of progressiveness on women’s issues. As the feminist in Hercy’s article concluded: “Unlike conservatives trying to spin this scenario to their advantage, I know what misogyny looks like. And I’d rather a man compare my vagina to a delicious, briny creature of the sea than have them tell me they know better than I what I should be doing with it.”
So really, it's his religion that you hate. Every religious person I know has the same view.
westical
Lockyer's Lovechild
Lockyer's Lovechild
XBL ID: westical

Post by westical »

Peppermint Lounge wrote:He is an ex Catholic priest after all.
Source?
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Has anybody asked krudd what his stance on abortion is?
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

Rudd voted to transfer regulatory authority of RU486 away from then Health Minister Abbott to the Therapeutic Goods Administration, thus removing Abbott’s ability to veto the drug’s use. He is (presumably) philosophically opposed to abortion in general due to his christian beliefs, but puts the public good first – “For me and for the reasons I have outlined, the life of the unborn is of great importance. And having tested these reasons with men and women of faith, and men and women of science, that I've decided not to oppose this bill.”
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Tony Abbott

Most would know he didn't quite complete his priest school studies thus leaving him de-clothed. For the benefit of those partisan and anal the correct term is 'ex Catholic seminarian' (I had to look that up not being a religious man, let alone fucking Catholic). The detail neither adds nor detracts from what a dick he is and how inappropriate it is to have him pulling the levers of Australian social policy. If his track record showed he's able to keep his personal religious beliefs independent of public policy then that would be something. He's shown however he can not. I'm quite sure of those non-religious among us here is a bi-partisan disdain for religious people who foist their personal values onto others.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Twit wrote:

Well done twit. Of all the drivel of the last few weeks, this is the first thing I've seen that approaches evidence of TA being a misogynist.
westical
Lockyer's Lovechild
Lockyer's Lovechild
XBL ID: westical

Post by westical »

Peppermint Lounge wrote:Most would know he didn't quite complete his priest school studies thus leaving him de-clothed. For the benefit of those partisan and anal the correct term is 'ex Catholic seminarian' (I had to look that up not being a religious man, let alone fucking Catholic). The detail neither adds nor detracts from what a dick he is and how inappropriate it is to have him pulling the levers of Australian social policy. If his track record showed he's able to keep his personal religious beliefs independent of public policy then that would be something. He's shown however he can not. I'm quite sure of those non-religious among us here is a bi-partisan disdain for religious people who foist their personal values onto others.
I should enrol in medical school, quit, and become a brain surgeon then.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Imagine if the person running our country went and had a press conference out the front of a church every Sunday morning. Someone like that surely must hate women and being anti-abortion and everything!!! Oh wait we've had one, he was K-Rudd but we don't get stuck into him because he's on our side so we just put our blinkers on and carry on!

Here's the doyen of terrible political reporting lodging a article about Gillard's problem with male voters, a problem that Hercy would spin us is imaginary:

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/politi ... 27jul.html
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

1. The biggest misogynists I've known have been gay guys. Nobody does misogyny like fags.

2. Liberals who act like the suggestion some women are housewives is an insult, are actually insulting a lot of women who are housewives.
-------------------------------------