Anyone here use Xcode?

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Gamma
Dot Eater

Anyone here use Xcode?

Post by Gamma »

I'm not quite ready to deal with Objective-C just yet so it'll be some time before I can make any iOS stuff, but I've started a project in C++ using SFML just as something to do over summer. Xcode is the first IDE I've tried to wrap my head around and it's a steep learning curve, but I'm getting there. I pretty much just press things and hope it doesn't explode. My code doesn't do anything very impressive yet, just loads in a sheet of tiles I drew, loads a map from a text file then displays it using the tiles. Probably going to make a simple level editor next to familiarise myself with mouse input, plus it won't hurt having a level editor.

Anyone else dick around with Xcode, or recreational coding in general?
Darwi
Obey your thirst

Re: Anyone here use Xcode?

Post by Darwi »

I did some C# and got half way through writing an Xbox game once... that was fun (until I realised that it was pointless as no one in Australia could access it). Doh.

Been mucking around with Java and Android... that's been fun.

Managed to get some sprites running around using OpenGL... but nothing spectacular. Would love to have more time to actually do some decent projects... but life isn't accommodating at the moment...

Must try again now that the processors are a bit better juiced (and make up for my inefficient coding!).
Darwi
Obey your thirst

Post by Darwi »

This was as far as I got on the Xbox game.

Must look at resurrecting it for Android tablet...
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!
XBL ID: Burnzoire
Steam ID: Burnzoire

Post by Burnzoire »

I highly recommend Unity3D - it's so much more than an IDE. You can get some awesome stuff happening with relative ease.
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

Did someone say relative ease?
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
mech
Phase 3: Profit!
Phase 3: Profit!

Anyone here use Xcode?

Post by mech »

I did 8 years of C++ professionally and used Xcode to make a practice iOS app - objective c is pretty funky.

C++ is a tough language to start with. I really recommend starting with something like Python instead. That said, if you know C++ you can handle anything.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

I'd love to tinker with XCode, but buying a Mac is the problem.
Trying to get it to run on VMWare made me run away screaming.

Does fully fledged/featured XCode run on one of those MacBook Air things ok?
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

I'm running Xcode 3 on a 2006 MacBook with 2GB RAM (which I safely assume a current Air would shit all over) with no dramas, but I've been recommended against installing Xcode 4. If portability's not an issue a Mac Mini isn't a bad way to go.

Darwi- Might be worth having a look at the PlayStation Suite SDK. It uses C#, and it's only $99 a year. Game looks cool... so the player's trying to make a good poker hand by moving the chip around on the grid of cards? I'd play that.

mech wrote:C++ is a tough language to start with. I really recommend starting with something like Python instead. That said, if you know C++ you can handle anything.
I'm six months into a CompSci degree so there are people that can help when I get stuck, and yeah, I figured if I can learn C++ well I'll be in a good position to pick up other languages. I think Java will pop up later next year, and I've got a mighty great tome on Objective-C that I'll start working through sometime.