iinet tells Hollywood to blow them

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

http://torrentfreak.com/isp-walks-out-o ... ntfreak%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A leading Australian Internet service provider has pulled out of negotiations to create a warning notice scheme aimed at reducing online piracy. iiNet, the ISP that was sued by Hollywood after refusing to help chase down alleged infringers, said that it can’t make any progress with righthsolders if they don’t make their content freely available at a reasonable price. The ISP adds that holding extra data on customers’ habits is inappropriate and not their responsibility.

In many countries around the world the entertainment industries are attempting to engage Internet service providers in their battle against online piracy.

The music and movie industries have persuaded some to begin sending warning notifications to subscribers which advise them that their infringing activities have been monitored. In addition to a few less high-profile projects, large scale schemes are underway in France, New Zealand and a similar operation is about to launch in the United States.

In other countries negotiations have been less fruitful. Australia became a notable failure after discussions on infringement developed into parallel legal action against an ISP. The Hollywood-affiliated video industry there thought it could convince a court to hold the ISP iiNet responsible for the activities of alleged infringers. It couldn’t.

Despite the legal action, negotiations between rightsholders and ISPs, pushed along by the Attorney General’s Department, have continued in the hope that an agreement can still be reached. But for iiNet, it’s the end of the road.

Chief Regulatory Officer at iiNet Steve Dalby said his company has pulled out of the talks and lays the blame firmly at the feet of the entertainment companies.

“The conversation has failed to move on. The rights holders are still insisting ISP’s should perform work on their behalf instead of addressing what we have always said is the root cause of the infringements – the limited accessibility to desirable content and the discriminatory and high cost of content in Australia. Infringements are a symptom – access is the problem,” he said.
Bravo.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Re: iinet tells Hollywood to blow them

Post by GreyWizzard »

nailed it
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Right on. Will be switching to iiNet once my contract with Telstra is up.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
MiNiStRy
Occasionally Overlooks Gravity.
XBL ID: MiNiStRyS
PSN ID: MiNiStRy
Steam ID: MiNiStRyS

Post by MiNiStRy »

Looks like iinet will be my new provider once I can get them here.
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

I've been wondering why I've never received "the letter". Sick cunts.
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

When will Netflix be available here? Without the proxy fee?
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Probably never, rights holders here are difficult to deal with
pilonv1
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

well that escalated quickly

also nice I was wrong
F for Fake
XBL ID: Thread Killer
PSN ID: Cool_-_Z
Steam ID: Bell end

Post by F for Fake »

And now it's time for their customers (me) to blow Hollywood :(
Oh well I know they woulda done their best to stop it.
F for Fake
XBL ID: Thread Killer
PSN ID: Cool_-_Z
Steam ID: Bell end

Post by F for Fake »

For those that didn't hear, iinet is being forced to hand over the customer details of ip addresses that torrented the Dallas Buyers Club movie.
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2015/04/iinet ... pens-next/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not too fussed myself though, but it sucks the copyright holders finally won something like this. Hope it doesn't set a nasty precedent.