Official NRL 2013 Thread | Sixty Eight is enough

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Official NRL 2013 Thread | Sixty Eight is enough

Post by pilonv1 »

:bow: :bow:

RULE CHANGES

http://www.weststigers.com.au/news-disp ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Australian Rugby League Commission has today approved the removal of the ‘benefit of the doubt’ call and supported a change in the way video referees are called on to make decisions in a meeting that has finalised a series of key on-field issues for 2013, including a resolution of State of Origin eligibility.

From 2013 no player will be eligible to play for NSW or Queensland unless he has lived in that state before the age of thirteen, or unless he is the son of an Origin player. The player must also be eligible to play for Australia.

“State of Origin is an incredibly important part of the game and the heart of the concept is a person’s state of origin,” ARL Commission Chairman, Mr John Grant, said today.

“It is fundamental therefore that the concept is preserved on that basis, simply because it is so unique.

“The Commission introduced a number of important changes to eligibility in 2012 that solved many of the previous arguments, but it did not solve all issues of international player eligibility.

“The Under 13 cut-off is one that has been put forward by the General Manager of Game Development, Andrew Hill, after consultation with greats like Wayne Bennett, Bob Fulton and Tim Sheens, the state leagues and the Origin coaches.”

The decision to alter the role of video referees is among recommendations put forward by the NRL General Manager of Football Operations, Mr Nathan McGuirk, after consultation with NRL Referees Elite Performance Manager Daniel Anderson and the NRL Competition Committee, also comprising Wayne Bennett, Tim Sheens, Darren Lockyer, Ivan Cleary, Andrew Ryan, Laurie Daley and John Lang.

From 2013, referees will make an on-field call in relation to any try-scoring situation. In the event that the match referee has reservations regarding his original decision he will indicate “time out”, signal that the video referee is to be introduced and then signal his on-field decision.

Only in those cases where the video referee believes there is ‘sufficient’ evidence to suggest the on-field decision is incorrect will he overturn the decision. In either case the video referee will communicate the outcome via the scoreboard.

Having determined at its November meeting that the shoulder charge would be deemed an illegal tackle from 2013, the Commission has today approved an amendment to the NRL Rules that provides a definition of the outlawed tackle:

“Where a defender, without attempting to tackle, grab or hold the ball-carrier (or any opposing player) using the arms or hands, makes direct physical contact using the shoulder or the upper arm (tucked into the side).”

Under the amended NRL Judiciary Code Rules, players will no longer be automatically referred to the judiciary panel for illegal contact from shoulder charges.

Instead, penalties for shoulder charges under the NRL Judiciary Code will range from a base of 200 points (two-match suspension) for a Grade 1 charge increasing to 800 points for a Grade 5 charge.

The Commission has also expanded the trials of the Captain’s Challenge System for next year with each televised match in the Under 20s competition to use two referees and implement the challenge system that was trialled at the end of this season.

The introduction of the second referee in these games allows the Captain’s Challenge to be viewed in conditions reflective of an NRL match.

“There are only specific areas that can be challenged such as: a mandatory penalty; a loss of possession (knock-on, strip) where play is to recommence with a structured start; charge downs where play is to recommence with a structured start; and determining which team last played at the ball prior to the ball going into touch or touch in-goal,” Mr McGuirk said.

“Having trialled it in one game last year this is an opportunity to test the concept in a way that would allow us to make a clear recommendation about its future at NRL level.

“It will also introduce a number of our emerging talented referees into the two referee model in our elite competitions.”
http://t.co/OWgUnahd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Canberra coach David Furner says five-eighth and captain Terry Campese is on track in his return from a knee injury but doesn't expect him to be available for round one of the 2013 NRL season.
:io:

Also the Roosters sacked BJ Leilua but no one cared.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Re: Official NRL 2013 Thread | No more cheating QLDers

Post by jizzlobber »

thank fuck for that, SoO will be SoO again one day
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

pilon you cheat!
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

8)
Reka

Post by Reka »

I applaud you Pilon.

:btw: I saw the back page of the Courier Mail yesterday - they were bitching that Tamou wouldn't be eligible under the new rules. No mention of half the Queensland team that would be ineligible. Unbiased journalism at its finest (again).
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/nxe/Reka.png[/img]
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

I'd give up Tamou if QLD lost all their ring ins
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Name the QLD 'ring ins'.
Reka

Post by Reka »

:lol:

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... 2bnbp.html
Jarryd Jackson is eight and loves rugby league. He works hard in class, but can't wait for the bell to ring. The playground is his element. There, he can pass like Cameron Smith, tackle like Sam Thaiday, bash and crash like Dave Taylor and can kick the winning field goal like Cooper Cronk.

''I just love the Maroons,'' says Jarryd, taking a swig from his limited edition Johnathan Thurston autographed water bottle. ''All me and my friends want to do is play for them when we grow up.''

But, for Jarryd, this will not be a merry Christmas. The grinches of the ARL Commission have stolen this young boy's dream by declaring he can never play for his beloved Queensland.

The warped logic behind a decision that has broken an eight-year-old's heart? Jarryd, like so many kids, will not be permitted to pull on a maroon jersey merely because he was born, and has lived his entire life, in NSW. It is a ruling that destroys the very notion that underpins State of Origin - Queensland being the ''state'' and everyone else coming to them from an ''origin''.

Advertisement

''We just can't understand it,'' said Jarryd's father Brendan. ''Sure, when I was a kid you might have had to play for the Blues if you were from a place just over the Queensland border, like Albury. But it has been well established that most talented kids from NSW owe their skill to some Queensland link. Do you think Jarryd could play as well as he does if he had not listened to Ricki-Lee Coulter or read the collected speeches of Kevin Rudd? He's Queensland all over.''

Jarryd had met the previous eligibility criteria to play for the Maroons. ''He knows all the words to the Queensland national anthem, including the verse about the giant pineapple and can shell a Moreton Bay bug in less than 20 seconds,'' Brendan said. ''But, apparently, that's not good enough any more. If you're not born with a cane-cutter in one hand a XXXX stubbie in the other, you're not a real Queenslander. Just because you've never been there.''

The draconian new rule has hit Jarryd hard. ''The kid is devastated,'' Brendan said. ''Like every kid from Punchbowl, he's grown up thinking that, one day, he would run out before his adoring fellow Queenslanders at Suncorp Stadium. We were even thinking of going to Brisbane one day, just to see what it's like. Not much point now, is there?''

Brendan is concerned for the emotional wellbeing of the many young boys from south of the Tweed now threatened with the prospect they will have to play for NSW. ''The night after the ruling Jarryd woke up screaming,'' he said. ''He had a nightmare Laurie Daley and Blocker Roach were holding him down and forcing him to put on a Blues jersey. Daley was saying things like, 'Come on, trust me, we can win the series this year'. No kid should be subjected to that.''

Queensland officials have vowed to appeal the decision. ''First NSW get two home games when it's their turn, now this,'' said a Queensland Rugby League spokesman. ''It's just another example of a NSW-dominated commission tying the game up in red tape, when the maroon tape was holding things together nicely.''

Reminded that commission chairman John Grant is a Queenslander, the QRL spokesman replied: ''He's gone native. But unless he changes this decision and restores the God-given right of every child in this country - and a few others - to play for Queensland, the backlash will make Cyclone Larry look like a light breeze through a fruit shop window.''

Bizarrely, the commission has determined State of Origin would now be interpreted as meaning a player must represent the state from which he originates. ''What next?'' said the man from north of the border. ''To bat for England you have to come from Birmingham, not Bloemfontein? This is the type of blatant discrimination that inspires our players to go out there year after year and perform for their state. Or, at least, for our state.''

Meanwhile, Jarryd sits in his bedroom gazing up at the posters of Queensland Origin champions. ''Please Mr Grant,'' he says, fighting back tears. ''I'll do anything to play for Queensland. I've got Google Maps on my iPod. I'll even find out where it is!''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... z2FgrPRz4o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/nxe/Reka.png[/img]
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Jarryd, like so many kids, will not be permitted to pull on a maroon jersey merely because he was born, and has lived his entire life, in NSW
The way it should be. Even for this "comedy" article
mxlegend99
I don't watch Rugby League
XBL ID: mxlegend

Post by mxlegend99 »

I'm not sure how pumped I should be for the 2013 season. We lost our two best players from the past few seasons in Michael Gordon and Luke Lewis, and our best up and coming half in Harry Siejka. Gordon and Lewis are a bit easier to cop though, as they're both atleast older players and have tended to spend as much time on the sidelines as on the football field, and are in positions we are capable of covering a bit easier. Especially considering we had to do so for half of most seasons anyway. Losing Harry Siejka is just the fucking dumbest thing this club has done in a long time... our halves have been shit since Craig Gower left us, and every potential long term half has been moved in and out of first grade and never really gotten a shot, then ditched just as they are ready to become regular first graders. Instead we have stuck with Luke Walsh who is absolutely shit 9 times out of 10, is a gutless defender that isn't willing to put his body on the line and in attack has even tossed the ball to no one just to avoid being tackled. His only play is his kicking game, which was only ever successful in 2010 when our kick chase was ridiculous... but ontop of a backline full of guys that were great at chasing kicks, our second row was also overflowing with guys like Luke Lewis, Nathan Smith, Gavin Cooper and Frank Pritchard who had all played in the backs at some points and have a fair bit of pace for second rowers. His kicking game is just as shit as the rest of his game, we just had a freakish variety of players throughout the team capable of putting good pressure on the kick chase and increasing our odds at getting the ball back. Regardless of the kick.

On the other hand we have recruited a ridiculous amount of talent... with for the first time I can remember the gains actually looking better overall then the losses.
Untitled-1.gif
I've read of a few other players signing also, but not sure what chance those guys would be at first grade anyway. The big signings are Sika Manu, Dean Whare, Lewis Brown and James Segayaro. All quality players in teams that have been successful recently. Also excited about James Roberts... that kid has some serious pace and if he ends up on the wing outside of Jennings could be a try scoring freak. Mose Masoe should add a bit of fire to our forward pack, which will help with the loss of Burns who had the biggest heart of anyone in our team and was the only "forward" to fire up most of the time. Tom Humble could hopefully mean that Luke Walsh is a goner too. I'll take anyone at this point over him... even our make do halves have created more uncertainty in the opposition then Walsh. On the one time he would run the ball each month it almost always led to a try or linebreak as it was so rare the defence never actually worried about having to tackle him. Just the idea that they would was enough for Walsh to throw a shitty pass to a well covered player and shut down the play.

I think we have a good side all around except for the #7. But with any lucky we can fix that in 2013. Sarry Siejka was the man I saw as fixing it, but now my hopes are pinned on Tom Humble getting a crack at the #7 or even Cootey with Humble at 6. Basically any halves pairing where we can see an upside at the end of the day. Luke Walsh isn't improving, but keeps getting picked. It's the only area that we seem unable to take any steps forward in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pilonv1

Official NRL 2013 Thread | No more cheating QLDers

Post by pilonv1 »

Whare and Humble arent very good but the forwards they signed will be good. Love Segeyaro
westical
Lockyer's Lovechild
Lockyer's Lovechild
XBL ID: westical

Post by westical »

We're used to cockroaches playing dirty.
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

pilonv1 wrote:Whare and Humble arent very good but the forwards they signed will be good. Love Segeyaro
I'm not too sure of Humble, but when Halfback is one of the positions he can play I'm automatically backing him against Walsh. Couldn't possibly be worse, and if he somehow was atleast there's the hope that he would one day improve to the point of being a first grader.

Whare is a solid player. Represented NZ and did a fine job against the Australian centres. He's not an elite centre, but he's a huge upgrade from guys like Brad Tighe, David Simmons and Adrian Purtell who have been basically certainties for our backline in the past few years and absolutely sucking it up at right centre. Segayaro is an awesome player, hoping we can turn him into more then just an impact hooker. Would be great to phase Kingston out of the side this year. The guy has a huge heart, but his service from dummy half is pretty average most of the time and he doesn't really offer anything in attack.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Whare and Humble are decent buys I reckon. Humble can't have broken the bank and there's potential there. Whare can be very good.
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Humble wasn't even good enough to play in the halves at Parra, that should tell you everything you need to know.

I just remember Whare having a shocker in the finals for Manly, with Taufua playing much better.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Ohhh was Humble at Parra? I thought he was at Tigers! Shit the bed, I take that back then. I wonder how Parra will go this year.

I've got a sneaking suspicion JT will end up at the Broncos next year.
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

Humble was at the Tigers in 2012, but he went there from the Eels. He only played a few games for the Eels, but spent more then half the season in first grade at the Tigers.

I didn't see too many Tigers games and honestly didn't pay much attention to him in the ones I did. So I have no idea what to expect from him, I just remember when he was at the Eels a fair bit of hype behind him and never really getting a shot. So I pretty much had him written off.

Also looks like the Panthers have decided we don't want State of Origin players in our team, and are looking to send Jennings packing along with Gordon and Lewis.
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

In fairness to Humble, Sheens never gave him a chance and had him playing backup hooker for a few minutes a game until Iosefa showed up. He's a half, not a hooker, his defense is terrible.
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Jennings to the Rooters for 4 years :lol:
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

A bit pissed we let him go, but atleast we managed to get away from having to pay any of his $800k per season in 2014 and 2015. Probably be able to use the money freed up this year to move up some of the payments for Sam McKendry and Lachlan Coote and decrease their impact on our salary cap in 2014 also.

It sucks to lose a great player. But he was earning close to twice what he is worth. Also rumours floating around that we have already signed a good player for the 2014 season. Elijah Taylor is rumoured to have signed already... great addition if true. But we need to make sure we get Thurston for it to remove any doubt that it was a good thing. GIve him a 2 or 3 year contract with a job afterwards at the halfback academy that Phil Gould started. That's why we are going so hard for him... because of what he adds to the team after he is done with footy.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

I'd be very surprised if JT ended up at Penrith.
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Agreed, I can't see why he'd leave FNQ. Not sure if I'd want to be paying big money to a half in his 30s either. Would be better to look at some younger half options.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

If JT wanted to win a premiership he'd bail out of Brownsville and ask the Raiders to take him - to which we'd say no, we've got the gun halfback of the future in Sam Williams. Thurston is old hat.
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

The only thing that could and would lure JT from the Cowboys is ridiculous money. Which is what Gus is offering him, aswell as a job after footy. No guarantee he will choose to take up the offer... but if he does the biggest benefit will be what he can do for the club in the future. Him taking all the young halves from the halfback academy and helping develop them would be huge.

It's the first thing Gus did upon his arrival. He identified a lack of proper halves coming through and setup the halfback academy to develop proper halves. Hopefully he gets JT to do that regardless of whether he plays for the Panthers or not. The more star halves that help the better.
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

I'm sure Thurston will have a job for life with the Cowboys/QRL in some way. I think he may prefer the small town life rather than a big city.