Goodbye Falcon

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent
XBL ID: Twit AU
PSN ID: KAKwit
Steam ID: KAKwit

Goodbye Falcon

Post by Twit »

Man, that sucks. :(
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/201 ... ussie-icon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Re: Goodbye Falcon

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Interesting. I was expecting Holden to go first.

I could go on a massive political rant about this, but I won't. Instead, I'll pose this question: Does the demise of Ford in Australia (and the impending one of Holden) open up the market to a smaller, more 'boutique' Australian brand of cars? There will be plenty of talent around the place soon enough to found such a company, after all..
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

I don't think a Holden will disappear anytime soon, they are quite different from Ford AU. I can't see another one popping up as labour costs in this heavily unionised sector are crippling the three giants we have at the moment
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

yeah, curse that 38-hour week and needing to earn enough money to live on thing...
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
cloud
Hard Cun...too much?
Hard Cun...too much?
XBL ID: ACE VENCLOUDY
PSN ID: ACEVENCLOUDY

Post by cloud »

Fucken oath this sucks! Will be buying one of the last GT's that's for sure!
K.T.Shoe[BMs]
Still a rookie
XBL ID: MrSlow88
PSN ID: MrSlow88

Post by K.T.Shoe[BMs] »

I was going to post this too.

It's sad to hear Ford is closing shop here in Oz... I did my work experience there as a graduate.

The manufacturing industry here is dying, and soon we will be importing everything! You do wonder what the people in power were thinking all those years ago when they agreed to get rid of tariffs on imported goods, and the free trade thing.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

well, it's resulted in cheaper cars from Asia, but it's sure hindered the local industries. So instead of protecting the local industries with import tariffs (and thus making money), they choose to support the local industry with grants and funding (thus losing money). Loco shit.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

unfnknblvbl wrote:yeah, curse that 38-hour week and needing to earn enough money to live on thing...
I think they both make good cars but their own unions have probably priced them out of work. Check out their employment conditions, the first thing that happened when the makers scored more gov funds was a new eba with a shitload more demands. Gold for workers and we would all do the same in the same position but wholely unaffordable for the businesses
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

So what happens to the V8s then?
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

They are all using car of the future and introducing more teams so ford will still be in v8
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent
XBL ID: Twit AU
PSN ID: KAKwit
Steam ID: KAKwit

Post by Twit »

I think car of the future V8s is goneburger a bit. I've started losing interest lately, and Ford's local demise will make it worse. May as well go back to group touring cars or something.
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

I always thought how stupid our governments have been. Demand for these cars have gone down, which is one of the major reason for their demise.
Yet we have politicians, councils, public servants and so on getting new tax funded cars every few years. And what sort of cars do these clowns choose......imports. WHY??
You would see a turnover of 1000's upon 1000s of cars a year. Wouldn't it of been better for the industry if it was compulsory for these cunts to drive only Australian made cars rather than throwing millions of dollars at these car companies yearly to keep them open? They also could of made anyone who wanted a company car or a tax funded car outside of the government sectors to also be an Australian made car. Its sounds so simple, is it??
Hercy
Makes poor choices in hats
XBL ID: Hercy

Post by Hercy »

Froggy wrote:I don't think a Holden will disappear anytime soon, they are quite different from Ford AU. I can't see another one popping up as labour costs in this heavily unionised sector are crippling the three giants we have at the moment
No one at Ford is assigning any blame to unions, but that's not surprising given what a rusted on Liberal voter you are.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Sure they aren't :lol: It's kind of fitting the party "for workers" did nothing in the last 6 years but make life harder for these manufacturing workers. Whilst I doubt it's a decision that will be reversed I do hope there's someway to reverse it as the flow on effect from these factories closing down is massive. One thing I think this will do is quickly end the fight that the SA gov is having with Holdens over a $50 million dollar grant.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Hercy
Makes poor choices in hats
XBL ID: Hercy

Post by Hercy »

Froggy wrote:Sure they aren't :lol:
In the face of this devastating evidence, I concede. Well played, sir.
edgecrusher
BLUE!...YOUR MY BOY BLUE!!
PSN ID: edgecrush33

Post by edgecrusher »

it'll happen to Holden as well, perhaps a few years after 2016. RIP the falcon, loved the XW and XY Falcons. Legends of Australia.
Everybody be cool.....You be cool
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Nooooo. Fuck better look after my current falcon then!
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

NZ lost a few plants in the 90s, Nissan, Toyota and Ford and our import market is better for it. Cheap cars for everybody!
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA
XBL ID: Shaneus
PSN ID: Shaneus2k2
Steam ID: Shaneus2k2

Post by Shaneus »

Wonder who'll sponsor the Cats? :/
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Post by BruceCamblzChin »

Should have happened years ago from what I've read. Its terrible the company can find no way to make money and that all these people will lose their jobs but nearly a billion dollars in handouts from govt in the past decade (from Lib and Lab govts mind you) is not how you run a successful business clearly. People want cheaper, more fuel economic cars and have done for years and the whole company would have known this is how the market was shifting. Labor is too expensive when compared to other countries.

By the way where is the handout for the little costume shop that just shut down up the road from me? And the newsagent which shut down last month? Oh no 'assistance package' for them? Surely if its good for Ford/Holden its good for these guys too right? So whats the difference between them and car manufacturing?
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

BruceCamblzChin wrote:By the way where is the handout for the little costume shop that just shut down up the road from me? And the newsagent which shut down last month? Oh no 'assistance package' for them? Surely if its good for Ford/Holden its good for these guys too right? So whats the difference between them and car manufacturing?
Yeah that's what shits me when this sort of thing happens. My mate works at Ford in Geelong and will walk out with a 6 figure payout from Ford before any government assistance. Had plenty of other mates over the years who have worked at Fords as well for 15 years plus and when made redundant walked out with massive payouts. Payouts that most other workers don't even come close to when their jobs are gone.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

My brother works at a Ford dealership in Tasmania. He said they've been expecting this news for ages anyway, and they're looking forward to selling interesting American cars.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Tell him to give me a good discount on the new ST!

Also what interesting American Fords? Mustang and F150? All their good shit is Euro and been available for a while now.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I can't promise anything, but go to Tilford on Brisbane street. Ask to speak to Roly. Tell him unfunk sent you.
Misly
Blackened is the end
XBL ID: Misly

Post by Misly »

So Holden won!?
:rock: