Heatin'

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Heatin'

Post by selfish »

OK it's time to buy a reverse cycle unit for our place - it's fucking cold in the kitchen/dining, and I assume it'll be fucking hot in summer (evaporative cooling can get fucked). Any recommendations?
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Re: Heatin'

Post by unfnknblvbl »

My advice: avoid energy retailer branded stores. Ridiculous markup.

(This statement not approved or endorsed by my employer)
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account

Post by selfish »

Well, that's a start. Any other un-recommendations?
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

unfnknblvbl wrote:My advice: avoid energy retailer branded stores. Ridiculous markup.

(This statement not approved or endorsed by my employer)
hmm I didn't know this, I am after heating probably early next year to. So avoid deals where they offer to put it on your bill to pay it off and stuff?
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account

Post by selfish »

Yeah, how much should we be paying for these things?
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

well I'm only extrapolating from smaller items, but the online store for.. shall we say one of the largest energy retailers in the country... has a 150% markup over comparable items available at your local supermarket*. I doubt that there's such a ridiculous markup for split systems and the like, and I guess you should take into account the fact that they normally get somebody to install it for you and you can put it on your bill (in some cases). However, I wouldn't be surprised if you ended up paying a nice big premium for all of that.

*for example, an LED light bulb that costs $15-25 at Woolies costs $45 from this retailer. And that's "marked down" from $55. Yeesh! Going bigger though, there's a $150 markup on a year-old TV's RRP. Plus shipping. Ha!
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

interesting, is this the same for airconditioning? I need to get that for this summer to, do energy retailers sell aircon and heating or just heating?
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

pretty sure they sell both - after all, that's what split systems are good for. As for the markup, like I said, I'm just extrapolating from what I've seen. I'm sure you can buy a system and have it installed for cheaper (all up) than going through an energy retailer.