MacBook Pro issues

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

MacBook Pro issues

Post by Rorschach »

Hey, question for those who know Macs better than I do. All day today my Mac was reporting through the Activity Monitor that it only had 80gig free out of 320. I thought that was a bit excessive, I had download a couple of seasons of the Sopranos but had moved them off onto external disks. Anyway, I deleted the offending files from HDD but the number stuck at 80gig, and then started dropping - like a stone. In the space of an hour I went from 80gig free to 65gig free. A quick internet check - repair the HDD through recovery mode; deleted bloated library files; trimmed half my music catalogue and moved all my avi files off the local disk but only managed to recover back to 80gigs free. Long story short, I just looked at the Activity Monitor again hours after and it had dipped to 75gigs. One hard reset later it has now jumped back up to 220gig free. Not sure what the hell is going on - it's like the system virtual memory has got a hold of my HDD and using it to cache information. Just wondering if this has happened to any other Macs users out there?
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
flipswitch
que
que

Re: MacBook Pro issues

Post by flipswitch »

Just checked my MBP and everything is the same.

Hopefully some other mac users will be of better help. :)
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

Download a tool called Grand Perspective, it'll scan your drive and tell you what's taking up all the space. Report back! It is your duty.
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Cheers for that. Had a look at Grand Perspective and it showed massive chunks of memory being used by software I thought I'd deleted. Re-deleted and I managed to claw back a lot of HDD space. Looking now at getting a SSD or hybrid drive to replace the stock Mac one. 320gigs in the 21st century just doesn't cut it.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

You're welcome :up:
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account

Post by selfish »

Flip's a nice guy.
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

My MBP which I bought in 2010 gets extremely hot and sounds like a jet with the fans when I watch flash videos.

Now that we're in summer it's happening all the time. I can't even rest it on my lap anymore it's so damn hot, the fan noise is so loud it makes whatever I'm watching unwatchable. The video stutters sometimes too.

Do the current models still suffer from flash video? As it is, my genitals are cooking with this thing on me.

Thanks.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

What is this flash video you speak of?
mech
Phase 3: Profit!
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

Avoid flash video if you can at all. I'm pretty sure recent makes also hate Flash - I have a 2011 MBA and a 2012 MBP and they both get crazy hot.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

We'll also need a screenshot of your genitals. I have a suspicion they're causing some of the issues.
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account

Post by selfish »

Install Youtube5 (I think it works on more than just YouTube) - http://www.verticalforest.com/youtube5-extension/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But yes, this is part of the reason Jobs was so anti-Flash on the iPhone (because Adobe are cunts). Also: make sure you don't have Acrobat installed, use preview instead.