Little Big Planet Level Recommendations

Organise online games for XBL / PSN / PC / Switch

Moderators: General Chaos, Candy Arse, jizzlobber

marto
Top Bloke

Post by marto »

Twit wrote:Very difficult in places (but then I'm also spastic).
Nah it's difficult.

Ignore the 1 star crap early up. Someone would've just hit it as a new one, couldn't finish within 2 seconds flat, and rated it down.
It's now 2 stars - getting better
Unfortunately I couldn't finish it either. I kept getting killed on that race part? I can't handle those spinning platforms. Perhaps if they had a little more tension in the bolts I could do it. Or perhaps if I hadn't had as many beers.
The trick is to make sure you grab at every opportunity. Turning that section into a race was a last minute change and completely changed the dynamics of it. When there is a bit of pressure added it makes it much harder. Might consider removing the race.
But anyway, there's nothing wrong with making a difficult level.
Too right - it was my intention to make it challenging. Though I think the majority of people aren't going to have the patience to get through it. Even though you do get the Dazzling Donkey for completing it :) I do give away the wheel vehicle too!!!!
I'll try to give it a proper bash tomorrow. My first thoughts were...looks funky and inventive, I like the sliding glass bit near the start that sends you down below.
The area that took most of my time to trouble shoot - getting the timing right wasn't easy.
Inside the wheel thing was fun too, and you stopped it well. The bouncy grab things with the bombs around was tense but actually reasonably easy to get through, and the lead up to that was fun too.
Curious to know whether it's obvious to pick the block up to jetpack back to the 4 guys to pick up the bonus item. It's only a shitty glass star I know but people might think it's an exciting new object bwahahahaa
Sorry I didn't get further, but yeah...will try again tomorrow.
No probs. It was designed as a level that you would have to play a couple of times to get through - especially the race section. The trick is making it interesting enough for people to bother. The general public won't I'd imagine but it's only my first level and I have learned a shitload doing it. Can't wait for the next one.
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent
XBL ID: Twit AU
PSN ID: KAKwit
Steam ID: KAKwit

Post by Twit »

The trick is to make sure you grab at every opportunity.
I don't think grabbing was my problem, it was maybe that I kept grabbing for too long? I think I did a lot of spinning the platform completely around and burning myself on the inner axle or something. Also, my own personal method for getting beyond the bouncy platform after the first wheel was to bypass it by jumping as far as I could off the first wheel, grabbing a little sponge near the top, and then swinging to the next wheel. Not sure if that's cheating (though of course I did fail anyway). As for it being a race - I wouldn't consider changing it due to just my experience. See what others think before doing something major like that. Corey obviously got through it. When it comes to race sections I usually ignore the timer on my first go of a level anyway just to check it out and see how I'd go about it on another play through.
Curious to know whether it's obvious to pick the block up to jetpack back to the 4 guys to pick up the bonus item.
I was too busy twirling towards freedom to go back, but I did note the 4 guys on the way through - made a couple feeble attempts to jump on them and realised it was probably something like that. I also noticed the block which didn't have an immediate purpose where it was. I put 2 and 2 together but the answer came out beer.

Making a level difficult without being a cunt is probably a fine balance, but would ultimately make it more rewarding too. Unfortunately some people just won't bother, and there's probably not much you can do about that. I wouldn't worry too much about it - just make stuff you'd like to play.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to having another bash tonight hopefully...

On a random note, I played a level last night that was called Unicorn something. It was generally piss - just walking in one direction past a bunch of vaguely horse looking things as they shouted too much weird shit at me. Anyway...I got to the end bit, and there's another horse thing. As I walked past it said - "THEY TOOK MY FREAKIN' KIDNEY!". It had a red scare on it's hind. No idea what the author was on about, but I fucken pissed myself laughing.

This game is awesome.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

Charlie the Unicorn. Look it up on youtube. I would post links but I am at work and have no access to the tube.
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

Ah...me = late to internet meme.
Corey
Immersion Patent Expert

Post by Corey »

marto wrote:Turning that section into a race was a last minute change and completely changed the dynamics of it. When there is a bit of pressure added it makes it much harder. Might consider removing the race.
Don't. Score wise it's what separates the boys from the men. In this I'm the man as I have the highest score.
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

Well...I managed to complete it, but not very well. That race part requires more skill than I posses. I liked the second bit inside the tyre - especially the loopy part going on. I died at the very finish for some reason.

One thing I found funny, which I didn't see last night, was how you can sometimes find yourself clinging to a bomb all the way down to the bottom in that bouncy bit if you miss the next one.

Well done marto!
marto
Top Bloke

Post by marto »

Yeah just saw you had completed it - when I just made it back to #1

Tricky and frustrating have been added to the tags list. I've been hearted twice though - thanks guys :)
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

I'm a hermit this weekend so will be hitting lbp up. Will try all these new levels. :)
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Street Fighter costumes are on the PSN now, Ryu, Chun-Li, Zangief and... someone else I forget. $3.45 each or $9.something for the set of four. Free Santa costume pack up as well. It says Santa Pack 2 though, but couldn't see any further Santa packs, *shrug*.
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

Is "Tricky" bad? I can't remember what I tagged yours with, but I've used that in the past. Never meant it in a bad way though.
marto
Top Bloke

Post by marto »

Aha it's all good. As much as it would be great to have people say it's amazing I think it's a pretty good challenging level with a couple of interesting ideas (along with some generic platforming to boot). But enough about my level - have you started your next one? I'm going through the ideas process now.
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

I went and did it again. I'm starting to get the hang of the race part now. Nearly got it on my first go through and then a bomb hit me right next to the switch that sends you up. Then I died a few more times from doing stupid shit. But...nearly got it. Will try again tomorrow.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

I just played marto's level and wtf it was awesome. This game is unbelievable. Um, trying to remember it for feedback now. My favourite part was the spinning ferris-type wheels with wobbly carts and flames everywhere. Just excellent platforming. Layers of issues to contend with, obviously finding balance on your cart is the immediate goal made difficult by the flames so I'm grabbing then dropping, then falling, then grabbing then trying to drop in the right spot on the cart below meanwhile observing what's ahead etc. Just very good platforming. I liked the balance between being stuck at these points vs the vehicle sections which are designed to be exhilarating and fast.

The music was awesome, loved the colours.

Criticism? The only one I have is the firey ferris wheel starts as a race and to me it seems slightly odd that that section starts with the count down and we rush out of the gate to... ? A very fiddly piece of platforming. I can see the reward in completing that section within an alotted time but the way lbp presents it I would typically expect some faster, free flowing platforming on getting the signal to beat the clock. Really though I didn't mind.

Overall I didn't find it too difficult to complete. It was definitely challenging but again as per good platformers once you determine what's required the game permits you to execute it efficiently.

Congrats marto I loved it. :up:
marto
Top Bloke

Post by marto »

Peppermint Lounge wrote:
Criticism? The only one I have is the firey ferris wheel starts as a race and to me it seems slightly odd that that section starts with the count down and we rush out of the gate to... ? A very fiddly piece of platforming. I can see the reward in completing that section within an alotted time but the way lbp presents it I would typically expect some faster, free flowing platforming on getting the signal to beat the clock. Really though I didn't mind.
The latter levels in the story have similiar sections. ie: get through an obstical course quickly. As mentioned before it was a last minute addition but adds huge tension to the section that wasn't there before. And very pleased you liked the contrast between the fast sections and the platformy bits.

Glad you liked it
Texas
Spitoon for Eng-er-land fans
Spitoon for Eng-er-land fans
XBL ID: TexasAI
PSN ID: Texas_AU
Steam ID: TexasAU

Post by Texas »

Stickied for Her Pleasure.
Gr8ness

[url=http://www.somethingsomethingradio.com]Something Something Radio[/url] - Fresh DJ mixes Weekly!
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

Coming this week will be a new holiday-themed content pack aptly titled "The Festive Pack." The pack includes the following:
  • Two new Costumes: Christmas Tree headpiece and a Wrapped Sackboy.
  • One new Create Material: Wrapping Paper (cardboard w/ giftwrap texture).
  • Two new Objects: A Festive Sleigh and holiday themed light.
  • Six new Decorations: A Festive Bauble, Bell, Wrapping Bow, Candy Cane, Card and Stocking.
  • A ton of new Stickers: holiday themed of course, including a Red Nose Reindeer, Elves, Turkey images and many more.
The pack will be on the PlayStation Store this Thursday for $2.99.

(From Ars)

I reckon one thing they could do to make it more festive would be to fix the fucking coloured LED light problem.
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

Oh hi. I've been meaning to comment on marto's level for ages.

Well I finished it. I couldn't believe it when I did. On my second go through I was stuck on the race yet again, but on my last life I somehow made it through, I was so happy.

I was VERY impressed marto. What an awesome level. But that race owned me, big time.
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

LittleBigLife. Whoa - fucke me, the complexity in that thing is amazing! (a 36 cell simulation of John Conway's Game of Life)

:shock:
mech

Post by mech »

DISTRESS IN OCEAN. Jesus. H. Christ. This guy is insane. SO GOOD.
mech

Post by mech »

There are some truly amazing levels out now. Far out. The one that simulates zero g by moving the whole level.. wow.
Corey
Immersion Patent Expert

Post by Corey »

The updated search function makes finding good levels so much easier.

Just played Star Wars Little Big Adventure. Awesome. Check it out.
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

Just a quick heads up for anyone who made levels - the LEDs now work and the brains now bounce as they should. Had to republish mine as a result.
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

I tried to make a self-replicating object today. I had grandiose plans of making little wooden sackpeople and flood-like spores which would jump around, eventually landing on a sackperson. This would trigger a magnetic switch causing the spore to emit tentacles and all manner of hectic shit, but also affix itself to the sackperson like a parasite. The kicker was it'd shoot out more spores. Alas I ran into a chicken and egg type scenario- you can't make an object that fires a version of itself which in turn fires a version of itself, because when you define the first object, you haven't defined the object that it shoots yet.

TLDR: You can't make self-replicating objects in LBP.
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

Played some more last night, that Distress In Ocean level is fucking epic, works well with two players too. Though it looks like you're supposed to be able to use the left tentacle of the octopus as well as the right, and it never works for me.

Had a look at Anti Colour, that was good, and there's some dinosaur-related level kicking about (easy to find in Cool levels) that's pretty damn good too. Played the Ghostbusters one, I think someone already mentioned it but it's one of the best homage/parody levels.

A mate of mine managed to break Felt Castle the other day (went nuts with the battering-ram thing and launched the box to oblivion) so I'll be making a few minor adjustments and probably adding music in an update soon.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

No Mech, this ain't a troll! :lol:

Just found this one Gametrailers by mistake. Two words Holy-fucken-shit!

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/user" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 07833.html
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.