Braid (XBLA)

Organise online games for XBL / PSN / PC / Switch

Moderators: General Chaos, Candy Arse, jizzlobber

Seraph
The only seraph on the internet.
XBL ID: Seraphcon V

Post by Seraph »

My issue with the slow moving cloud is that it is -so- slow moving. Yes you can do something else while waiting for the cloud to move - watch TV, play another game... although I wanted to try out the new Banj-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts DLC, but since it's also a 360 title, I couldn't...

Anyway, I get that it has to be very slow moving so that you would be unlikely to realise it moves at all... but 1 hour and 40 minutes is pretty annoying. There's something pretty damning about the suggestion that you pass the boredom of a game by playing another game.

I also found that a few of the stars are only really going to be found via trial and error. Spend x amount of hours getting creatures to every ledge near a ceiling or wall scroll point until you find the 3-4 levels where the game will scroll when you break the edge. A little disappointing for a game that generally tries to be intuitive and tries to prevent you from solving problems purely through trial and error.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I got the first two stars with little difficulty... fuck the rest though. I'm a DJ Fusion-style gamer these days, I'm having enough difficulty getting all the puzzle pieces :(
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I'm probably going to get reamed for this one, but this is, for me, the game of the generation. Further to that, this might just be one of the most important games ever made.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Mk2

Post by Mk2 »

Whitespider will be here to agree with your momentarily.
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/nxe/BuG%20vBi.png[/img] [url=http://eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/xMk2x/][img]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/xMk2x.png[/img][/url]
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

Seraph wrote:I get that it has to be very slow moving so that you would be unlikely to realise it moves at all... but 1 hour and 40 minutes is pretty annoying. There's something pretty damning about the suggestion that you pass the boredom of a game by playing another game.
I don't think boredom's the right term, again unless you sit there watching it. Each to their own I guess, I really enjoyed the process of realising it was moving, figuring out where it was going and how I could get up there, then setting the process in motion. It'd be a bit of an ask if it were a requirement for finishing the game or passing the stage, but given it's an extra of sorts I thought it was fine. Nobody was ever supposed to find the act of standing on the cloud for 1:40 entertaining in and of itself, I'm sure. Very few games could get away with something like this (and I guess it didn't in your opinion), but I really liked the concept of having to consider time outside the gameworld.
I also found that a few of the stars are only really going to be found via trial and error. Spend x amount of hours getting creatures to every ledge near a ceiling or wall scroll point until you find the 3-4 levels where the game will scroll when you break the edge. A little disappointing for a game that generally tries to be intuitive and tries to prevent you from solving problems purely through trial and error.
Spoilers:
[Click to see hidden content]
The only one I thought required trial and error was Elevator Action. I found it because the bunny served no purpose, and once on the lift was such a pain in the arse that there had to be some reason for it. That there was more of the level up above was suggested by the ladder extending off the top of the screen. That was all the hinting I needed to start bouncing on the bunny. I got a feel for where the platform was from the way it interrupted my jump. However I later read the GameFAQs guide and apparently you're "supposed" to go up the ladder, then the section above the bunny is revealed and there's no guesswork. The problem, if you could call it one, was that trial and error was faster that figuring it out, at least for me. I remember thinking the same about some of the puzzle pieces at first. I've since tried to get up the ladder and can't do it. :lol:
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Finished it today. Well, got all the puzzle pieces, anyway.

This is my retroactive GOTY :thumbsup:
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

finished it, fucking glad I gave it another crack after not enjoying it that much initially... what a great little game, very rewarding for a dumbo like myself, I thought it was a challenge

had to google one puzzle in world 5, one piece was very high, had to stand my shadow under a gronk so it would bounce high enough for me to bounce off... pissed off at myself for not working that one out, I spent a long time looking at it.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

Completed it. Pretty easy when not being played at 1am...

The only bit that gave me real trouble was the second last room of the puzzle collection. I was over thinking a puzzle... <sigh> I am guessing it was due to it being a star room and I saw climbing the ladders above the level as part of the puzzle collection.

so... creepy stalker.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Dear Xbox LIVE Gold Member:

We launched Deal of the Week program on Feb 23rd, 2009 as an added benefit to your Gold membership and we are very excited to see the overwhelming response we have received from our loyal users such as you.

As a result of the increased transactions we know that you experienced an intermittent Xbox LIVE issue, which resulted in you being charged full price of 1200 points for the ‘Braid’ deal instead of the discounted price of 800 points. We sincerely wish to apologize for the
technical glitch and would like to take this moment to thank you for your patience and understanding as our team worked around the clock to fix this problem.

We will not only be crediting back the 400 points that were overcharged, but also be crediting an extra 100 points as a token of our appreciation and as a thank you for your loyalty during this period. You will see a credit of 500 points in your account in the coming weeks.
Um. OK then. I'm fairly certain that I was only charged 800 points, but it you want to give me 500 more, please feel free! :thumbsup:
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

Hahaha, nice.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Re: Braid (XBLA)

Post by Madmya »

This game is completely and utterly broken for me on my 360. I cannot save the game whatsoever. Every time I start the game it thinks I have the demo thus never loads my save file. It's a known bug and they say to fix it you use the DRM transfer tool which has not worked for me.

FML. I really love this game too but knowing I can't save kills it for me. I think I had 24 puzzle pieces and a star.
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

I went through that. Tried everything, nothing worked, then it magically fixed itself one day. :?
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

There's a bit of a bullshit fix involving signing out, and signing back in as soon as you start it up. It's annoying as hell and really stops me from playing it. Ah well. I still have Limbo.
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

Annoying, but at least there's a work-around. Hopefully it'll sort itself out like mine did. You've tried deleting and re-downloading I assume?

The thing that concerns me is it could happen again at any time, and as soon as you start the game after it's reverted back to the demo, it autosaves over your original save file with the demo save (ie, no progress at all). Very frustrating.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Yeah I've deleted and re-downloaded countless times. I've tried the console migration tool (the fix that the official site recommends) and it didn't work either. It happens each and every time for me, so I have to sign out and sign in as soon as it boots because, as you've said, if I play the game without doing this it will overwrite my old game. Apparently the creator had a fix but it didn't pass Microsoft's certification process and now I don't think he's bothering anymore.
Seraph
The only seraph on the internet.
XBL ID: Seraphcon V

Post by Seraph »

It's available for PC, so just download it off some torrent site or something? I mean, you've already paid for it.

Alternately it seems to be about $3 on Steam.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Pffffft! Who plays games on PCs?
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

So... are you saying you haven't completed Braid yet?
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Indeedly doodly. Oh I see what you did just there. Oh yeah? Well I've finished Limbo in 5 lives or less, have you?
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

I don't own Limbo.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

How can any gamer not own Limbo?
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Braid (XBLA)

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Because it's subject to that occasionally frustrating force in gaming known as the exclusive. Especially frustrating that it's just a download game too. How is it not available for PC? :(
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Braid (XBLA)

Post by BruceCamblzChin »

Limbo was sweet!
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Peppermint Lounge wrote:Because it's subject to that occasionally frustrating force in gaming known as the exclusive. Especially frustrating that it's just a download game too. How is it not available for PC? :(
Pep this is coming up a little too often for you, just get an arcade and be done with it.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Madmya wrote:How can any gamer not own Limbo?
unemployment...

:(