Organise online games for XBL / PSN / PC / Switch

Moderators: General Chaos, Candy Arse, jizzlobber

BigSwingingUdders
NOT JIZZLOBBER
XBL ID: Pre-baked
PSN ID: 40% Better

Monster Hunter Tri ID's n shit

Post by BigSwingingUdders »

Time for a dedicated thread to share ID's and hopefully some online monster rapage! :P

Name: Gigas
MH ID: BY1YRF
Keyboard: Yes
WiiSpeak: Yes
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Ok I just started all last night and this morning with a random low level player who joined an open game.

Will input all my account info and code tommorow as I need to sleep now. Will include it in my sig too.

Just did a quick mushroom-gathering quest and a quest involving gathering 10 monster guts to earn some extra money, which I think I will use to buy a different set of armour. (currently using leather armour right now and taking advantage of getting increased gathering amount and increase gathering speed skills to help me stock up on supplies of ingredients)

At the state I'm in now with just a bit of experience in single player mode and fooling around in multi, it's more like the monsters are hunting ME. I was in the desert losing health for no reason when I only just remembered to drink a cold drink to stop myself from overheating. If I had not read up on that beforehand I would have died right there wondering what the hell was wrong with my character. The dude can hold his breath for ages in the water but can't stay in the sun for a few minutes without loss of health.. :roll:
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
BigSwingingUdders
NOT JIZZLOBBER

Yeah, if you punch through the lvl 1 and some lvl 2 quests offline, you'll learn about little things like cold drinks etc.

I'm going to finish the last lvl 1 and repeat a lvl 2 offline quest today to get the last bits i need to upgrade my great sword to something not so noobish. Then I think it'll be time to play online properly.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

That's exactly what I intend to do. Maybe I will alternate between offline and online to get a balance going.

I just don't want people to think I'm offline due to lack of interest. Noo. It's more like we noobs feel safer going in with knowledge and being able to get things done quickly so we don't hold the other guy up more like it.

The offline mode I remember in a review said it would last for about 30 hours or so, which I think is just right. (but probably shorter than other games in the series?) But I think I will be spending more time online than offline after I beat the game offline and know what I'm doing. Just that I feel better going at my own pace for now and discovering things bit by bit instead of huge chunk of info at once without time to think about it.

Name: Gorrok
Code: P165DE
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Oh yeah what weapons are the best for noobs to use?

I think the sword and shield is a good balance. I like the ability to combo and have something to block attacks with. I won't be evading as much though. (you can block and press x to attack while keeping your guard up - I'd rather do that than waste stamina on rolling)

I want to attack like this:

1. push forward on analogue stick + x (rising cut and advance toward target one step)

2. x (another vertical slash)

3. x again (part of the two hit combo of vertical chop button)

4. a (horizontal slash)

5. a again (part of the two hit combo when you mash a twice)

6. start button (or + button whatever you like to call it. Will do a spinning round slash)

7. cancel that into the evade or roll button. (if the enemy lunges at me I evade to the side turn around and use the 2 hit shield bash move at close range)

8. depending on how slow the enemy is I go for the 2 hit sheild bash combo. (push analogue stick toward enemy + a, then a again)

9. if the enemy is on the ground knocked unconscious from the bashing on the head, I press a+x for the jumping vertical chop move. Kinda like a tekken finish when you knock a guy down and he doesn't roll out of the way.

So in general I will always attempt this 5-hit combo (plus the extra dodging after it, followed by shield attack and maybe the jumping chop move if I can dizzy them) automatically as I see it as a "time saver" where all the movement seem to meld together smoothly to complete the attack motion quickly without leaving big lag between them.

I usually ignore the X, X, X combo because the last move looks a bit slow and you'll miss if the creature is moving around from side to side.

What weapons and combos do you use? Is the sword and shield good for the noob? I notice you can cancel frames quickly if you add the round slash attack to anything. Like they designed it so that there is no point wasting time watching the character recover after a move but instead you are just better off cancelling those recovery frames into another attack like the round slash (or dodge) instead to keep up the pressure. (since you had to walk up close to the enemy may as well make the trip worth it)

Being melee character I want to run in, combo, then run away and heal. Like a hyperactive monkey. Not stand in one spot and let my armor eat damage.
BigSwingingUdders
NOT JIZZLOBBER

Yeah, sword and shield are the way to go to start off. Combos are quick and you can do damage, knockback and a chance to KO with your shield.

I've been swapping between a great sword and normal sword + shield. Great swords do the most damage per hit of any weapon in the game but they are ultra slow to combo and walk with when held. They take a bit to get used to because you have to time your hits and know how the faster monsters move in order to land a combo. Plus they look rad :P

The combo's on great swords are usually x,a,x,a or x,a,a,x. So far I haven't had to hit a monster more than 4 or 5 times to kill it, the great sword I have does around 350 base damage per hit, 420 on the next upgrade. The main problem with great sword combos are speed, so if a monster moves out of the way mid combo you're screwed unless you roll and line it up again.

I want to get a bowgun soon also, just to see how they work, plus I have a ton of stuff to make ammo from in my storage box. I think every party should have at least one perso with a bowgun, just because you can initiate battle using status effect ammo from a distance and let the others go in for close combat, plus there is healing and buff ammo to assist party members from afar.
omega

Post by omega »

Great impressions and tips, fellas. I'm not taking as systematic or 'professional' an approach to the game as some of you are, but doubtless I'll be forced to do so soon if I want to survive in the wider world! At the moment I'm revelling in the incredible beauty of the environments and their inhabitants. Curiously, I find myself deriving a tremendous degree of satisfaction from simple things like observing herds of Aptonoth going about their business. They're such majestic beasts, and I still feel a pang of remorse at being forced to kill one. I'll happily slaughter just about any creature in this game, but in my hunter's own peculiar form of 'bushido,' Aptonoth are off-limits. Not since Shadow of the Colossus has a game had that sort of effect on me...

I'm keen to join you blokes online, but it'll probably be next week when I do as I have to work tomorrow and I've only just received my first guild quest. I'm gonna have a crack at the secondary objectives as I've heard doing so is worthwhile from a loot perspective.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

omega:

I just spent the whole day doing the mushroom quest and trying to figure out where the ripened mushrooms were and then the idea of the ants came to mind.. the creatures are well thought out. And the non-hostile ones are not just scenary. You'll find out when you ehem kill an innocent ant to complete this quest properly and read the monster guide for the clue. lol Even boring fetch quests can be fun, for those who really want to study the creatures lives not just hunt them.

I haven't even started 1 proper guild quest yet as I only just finished the missions in the offline mode that you get after the big earthquake (or shall we say massive monter fucking up the land and causing tremors depending on how it all turns out in the story - see how little I've gotten through?)

I especially like the underwater bits of this. Very relaxing Loch Ness Monster type things swimming alongside you. They aren't cartoony monsters like those pokemon creatures, but have more of a 'could possibly exist in real life on some other earth-like planet' feel to them.
Phantasy Star may have more weapon variety, but the creatures in this are more deep and seem more real, especially with respect to behavior. Not all of them are scary and want to rush at you as if programmed to see you as a threat without you provoking them. A lot of them are happy to ignore you if you leave them alone.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

sorry, was meant to be on today, but my internet had gone to arse again... was working so well all week too :(

I'll get my code and whatnot soon.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Today I went on and did a great jaggie slaying quest with some people who have beeter gear than me. (I'm there as assist and pack heal potion pack mule and to be a cheerleader while learning)

Also did a jaggie capture quest but the other guy didn't know what he was doing and only completed subquests. :( (used up the trap without weakening the monster)

Here is the combo string I use with sword and shield now againt big dumb monsters that don't dodge much:

1. X+A (jumping overhead vertical chop)
2. cancel that into vertical chop button, (I didn't know this before - its the same upwards vertical rising slash you do when you push a direction and press X)
3. press vertical chop button (X)
4. press vertical chop button (X again)
5. press horizontal attack button (A)
6. press horizontal attack button (A again)
7. cancel into round attack (start button/+ button)
8. cancel into dodge move (B button, usually to the target's side if it's a rushing enemy)
9. shield bash attack against monster's flank (push towards target + A)
10. shield bash attack second hit (mash A a second time)

then if you are dying, running low on stamina, need to heal,...

11. retract sword so you can dash to safety (can't sprint with weapons drawn :P )
12. heal, sharpen weapon, talk to the other guy to go and fight so he/she can distract enemy while you are in vulnerable animation frames.
13. repeat from step 1 until monster is runs away, dies, or you manage to capture it.

May one day learn bowguns after I am done with sword and shield guy. I'm right now still wearing leather armour for the "gathering speed bonuses" and acting more like a healer/support guy so I can learn from others as they fall in battle doing the wrong things. :P

Grey:
no rush. I don't think I will be seriously into this until I have properly worked out what kind of character I want still.

What have I been doing the past 2 days then?

I'm spending the first few days just looking for other noobs to assist on rookie servers, and through completion of easy quests, providing my stores lots of money to use to buy healing potions and stuff like that and then giving them to guys who need it on the field.
People who are close to death need the storage space for those things to keep them in the fight longer so you can hold those vital supplies to add to their own. Sure you can go to bed to get free healing, but that requires you run all the way back to base camp and costs precious time. Having potions at the ready can give you the edge needed to make it in time for groups of weak attackers who are trying to slay big monsters with loads of health. As a result of them doing the killing for me as I just sit there watching them, and me getting money after they complete the quest, I have gone up a few ranks just for participation. :up:

On saturday there was a half-off sale on items and stuff. That was the most busy time I noticed, with the first half a dozen or so servers packed full. Not as many on after that.
Bought lots of cheap supplies like pickaxes that always happen to break when you use them only a few times. Great quality workmanship in that universe.. :roll: Almost as bad as Xbox 360s but without a light to tell you its broken.
omega

Post by omega »

I finally got the mushroom quest done last night, and it took me hours because I didn't know the ants had to digest the grey/white mushrooms (only red ones were growing in all my zones) to produce the ripened mushrooms :down: Makes sense from an ecological perspective, but as marvelous as the whole ant-digestion concept is, the obtuseness of that particular puzzle makes for frustrating gameplay.

I've decided to take a new weapon each time I venture out on a 1* quest so I can get a feel for each one. Last night I spent a few hours putting the lance through its paces and at the very least I feel it's worth trying. Your movement is restricted because you can't roll to evade or turn around fast, but it's a surprisingly balanced weapon. With the shield up you're impervious to attacks from the front and the sides, so if you don't let monsters get behind you you're a bloody tough nut to crack, and you can unleash vicious stabs and counter-attacks that have a hell of a lot of reach. Its sweep move can trip multiple adversaries at once, and in the hands of an experienced hunter I can see the lance being a devastating weapon. I managed to slaughter a massive pack of rwspawning jaggis and jaggia in a matter of minutes once I started to manoeuvre strategically and get a kind of ebb-and-flow rhythm going between attacking and defending.

I'm gonna try a different weapon tonight - not sure which one yet. I'm gutted long swords don't seem to be accessible at this early stage tho - I want a katana, if such things exist in the MH world :)
omega

Post by omega »

Well I've given the Great Sword a go on the Farm Helper quest. Initially I found it to be extremely cumbersome against fast adversaries like Jaggi, but then I discovered the awesome kick-side smash combo (start button then x). One or two of these is enough to knock a jaggia insensate for ages, leaving it open to massive charged slashes and rising slashes. I'm gonna spend more time using it before I reach a verdict, but so far it's bloody effective if you use that combo to set up monsters for maximum rapeage...
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Yep I was reading the manual the other day for combos and noticed that one.

But some things the manual doesn't mention are things like

-when you use the sword and shield you can cancel the X+A jumping slash into the rising slash, then cancel that into the vertical chop, then another vertical chop button attack, then horizontal, then another horizontal ... and of course you can add the round slash.

^ That's very important for weaker weapons because if you do crap damage you'll want the full 7 hit combo to compensate for the weaker damage per hit. All last night I was practicing this so I could always get max damage when I managed to get near something. (some of the big monsters in this game are fast runners, and its a nightmare just trying to get within range using short weapons)

-keyboard shorcuts:
pushing f4 twice opens up virtual keyboard with easy to access gesture menu quickly.

Push the tab key to select who you want to send a chat message to. That is if you want a specific person to recieve the message and not the whole group. Very useful when asking who has the trap items and stuff.

-blocking while attacking, using sword and shield. Hold down block, then press vertical chop to attack and then immediately block again. (kinda sorta useful. Blocking too much prevents your stamina bar from recharging until you let go of it though. So I can't see myself using that much..)

Yesterday I spent alot of time trying out different ingredient combination to have them recorded in the ingredients combination guide.

There is this one thing you can make that will allow you to have really hard skin (may be useful for gatherers like me to escape danger) and another one that allows you to teleport right back to basecamp. (this is like town portal from diablo but to camp instead of village/city and only for you to use) I always WANTED something like that to go back and get the new supply items that appear after a subquest is complete.

I'm going to spend all day trying to mass produce those two items. The farm is a very useful feature and thanks to that I have about 130 mega potions stocked up in the item container. As you can see I am making the most out of the leather armour set by taking advantage of the gathering skill.

Now I can kill a lot of the tough stuff in level 1 quests online as long as I am with other hunters with strong weapons. But otherwise I am better off wearing proper clothes. I'm just a bit lazy and just don't want to learn all 7 weapons and armour skills yet. :P

My leather armour is upgraded to level 3 (using the blue armour spheres) so its the toughest I can get so far for the weakest armour type. (need green armour spheres to get level 4 leather armour)

I find myself ALWAYS eating at the canteen before those big quests like killing royal ludroth in order to get the bonuses that come with it. I also find myself mostly being a follower and observer in online games than a proper fighter.

So if I can survive online with crap leather armours all the other noobs should be able to survive too. Maybe you won't kill the main monster but you get ingredients while on a quest which kills two birds with 1 stone. Gathering ingredient is something you can do offline too, but you are not rewarded for free when another people are out there killing a monster for you while you gather so that when you get rewarded as a group you get free items on the reward screen. :P

Powergamers will probably look at me funny for that but in the long run me not dying = more money since you get penalised when someone does. At this stage just knowing when to run can be just as important as how to kill the thing quickly. I know the patterns of most of the monsters now just got to think about the weak points. (some parts of thier bodies I notice are softer than others)

Later I think I will use the great sword but for now I am sick of big sword characters. I had used one in ps zero so I think I'm more in the mood for a fast character again now. The funny thing about block is that even if you block you still go into stagger animations for big monsters, and take a bit of damage. So running and dodging seems a little better than blocking with shield.

Greywizard/pariah/others who might be interested: don't worry about dying so much. The money isn't that important since you can easily make it (money and ranks points) back doing easy non-fighting quests. The experience (the rank points) and reward (free items after victory) of just being there while others just do the killing for you is enough reason to join others. My excuse is that I like to farm for now and figure out how to make items myself so I don't have to pay for them. There is a lot of depth to the combinations. Once I figure out some of the best ones, and fill up the monster and ingredient guide I can play the game better.

Some of these I can give to other noobs who might them useful for survival early on.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

omega wrote:I finally got the mushroom quest done last night, and it took me hours because I didn't know the ants had to digest the grey/white mushrooms (only red ones were growing in all my zones) to produce the ripened mushrooms :down: Makes sense from an ecological perspective, but as marvelous as the whole ant-digestion concept is, the obtuseness of that particular puzzle makes for frustrating gameplay.

I've decided to take a new weapon each time I venture out on a 1* quest so I can get a feel for each one. Last night I spent a few hours putting the lance through its paces and at the very least I feel it's worth trying. Your movement is restricted because you can't roll to evade or turn around fast, but it's a surprisingly balanced weapon. With the shield up you're impervious to attacks from the front and the sides, so if you don't let monsters get behind you you're a bloody tough nut to crack, and you can unleash vicious stabs and counter-attacks that have a hell of a lot of reach. Its sweep move can trip multiple adversaries at once, and in the hands of an experienced hunter I can see the lance being a devastating weapon. I managed to slaughter a massive pack of rwspawning jaggis and jaggia in a matter of minutes once I started to manoeuvre strategically and get a kind of ebb-and-flow rhythm going between attacking and defending.

I'm gonna try a different weapon tonight - not sure which one yet. I'm gutted long swords don't seem to be accessible at this early stage tho - I want a katana, if such things exist in the MH world :)
One thing about the ant/mushroom quest is that it rewards people for stalking monsters and paying attention to their habits. I noticed some of them howl at the moon and other things which is interesting. If you stalk them they will appear in the area they were running to so it's like you can spy on what they do throughout the whole day if you want. Remeber that the monsters respond to things you do too. Ants can be hostile or scared, and if you provoke one ant, another ant might act as fighter while the others run away with the goodies. Rather than all of them running toward you to attack, they know they can survive better hiding.

Some animals/monsters are afraid of fire, so you can hold a torch to keep them away. This is very useful to know: If you have the sword and shield as your weapon, and you are have equiped the torch, holding down the right shoulder button while pushing A allows you to still mine for rocks and ores while holding the torch. They custom designed the sword and shiled user so that he didn't have to waste as much time and is good for scaring away small beasties who can annoyingly interupt your mining animation frame by attacking you while you are doing something else.

One of the areas has enemies attack you while you mine and having that ability to scare them off while working = less wasted time. Nothing more frustrating than being in the middle of doing something and then getting attacked so that it prevents you getting it done. Knowing what the monsters are scared of by studying them can make life easier.

Some monsters allow you to sneak on them, and I think this is tied to setting bait for them without them seeing you. Put some meat with paralsis mushroom ingredients in it, and when they go to eat it, they will fall asleep. So knowing where to go before they get there (through understanding their habits) might help too.

Seomtimes paying attention to how they animate pays off too. Like when they are drooling or limping you know some of their speed is going to go and that is when to play more offensively when stamina is down. I guess not having a "monster energy bar" to show you how close you are was a design decision to force you to pay close attention to each monster carefully and make the game feel more mysterious so that people would experiment more.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Another thing is the religious cats in the dark cave in the woods:

If you are paying attention you'll notice they are worshipping a firefly or faery of some sort which allows you to use the bug net on to capture lots of different bug types. So paying attention to not just what the monsters are, but what they are doing and the environment can pay off as well.

There are some ingredients in the woods that will always be in the same place all the time: the tunnel in area 3 is where I go to get spiderwebs all the time. (use a bugnet on the glowing firefly thing to get spiderwebs off it)

What are spiderwebs good for? bugnets. I make these all the time because they keep breaking. But since I am wearing the leather armour set as a gatherer (gathering becomes active skill) my equipment doesn't break as much as other people. That means regularly going there will up my productivity in getting ingredients, and knowing that this glowing creature appears there all the time means I never have to worry about paying money for nets ever again.

1. spider web + ivy creates a net. (find ivy plant in area 2, web in area 3 from glowing butterfly)

2. net + monster bone s (small?) creates the bug net. Monster bone S can be obtained for free from the dinosaur cows in the woods.

Not sure how to create the mega bug net yet though...But I have pickaxes and mega pickaxes down. Once all of these are in the guide you can save lots of money just creating the items. (but then you could argue that time could be spent fighting monsters earning money to pay for it etc.. this is for mainly for those of you who want to stockpile large amounts though..)
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Weapons
One of the first dilemma you as a hunter will ever encounter in your quest as a hunter is your weapon style. Weapons Styles are basically derived from the type of weapon you choose. These weapon types are firstly divided into two distinct classes. Blademaster and Gunners. The Blademaster class is close-counter, melee based, devoted entirely to swords, or otherwise Hammers, Hunting Horns or Lances. Gunners focus on ranged attacks through the use of Bows and Bowguns. Both classes have different advantages and disadvantages, and it is your choice to decide which class suits you most in battle. Although your choices are varied, and there is no restriction to what you can rely on at any given time, it is best to focus your attention on getting familiar with one weapon style. Experienced hunters will tell you that they have only one weapon style in mind. It is because of that one weapon style that sees them become more acquainted and experienced with that preferred fighting style. Being familiar and having the right amount of experience with a weapon can see monsters taken down more easily than with other styles. In the end, the decision is entirely up to you. Here are some of the basic points of each weapon style:

Blademaster Class
Sword and Shield: A Balance of attacking power, blade sharpness, speed and the ability to defend with a shield.
Greatsword: A slow yet very powerful blade which is known to cut through thick armour with a single slice. The heaviness of the Greatsword sees it a very slow, two-handed weapon, therefore resulting in no shield for protection.
Long Sword: More commonly known as the “Tachi”. The Long Sword focuses on speed and range. With a balanced attack, Long Swords generally have low Sharpness, therefore needing more whetstones than usual, but it has a wide area of attack and a special “Spirit Gauge” for increased attack power, speed and sharpness.
Lance: Lances are known to have a heavy attack and the ability to defend with a shield. However, their sizes makes them heavy to carry, making hunters slow and unable to roll when using them. They do however defend against almost anything and unlike other weapons, let stamina recover when doing so.
Gunlance: Very similar to the Lance, with the slight difference of being able to shoot short-ranged bullets. The Gunlance also has the ability to shoot a very powerful charged bullet with the ability to force to the ground any monster it hits, however the range of each shot is incredibly poor and can only be successful at extremely close range.
Hammer: Hammers have incredibly strong attack power which can usually mean the instant death of most monsters, except they lack the speed required to avoid most monster’s attack. Being a close-ranged weapon which requires contact with a monster, a Hammer, while strong, can leave you defenceless to all attacks. Also, being a hammer, this means that this weapon is unable to cut off monster appendages, meaning less chances of carves for rarer items.
Hunting Horns: Hunting horns are used just like Hamers, except they have the ability to play music notes, when combined effect the player. These status affects can range from elemental attacks to increase your hunter’s running speed. This weapon like the hammer however is very slow and difficult to use, and also seen as more of a supporting weapon for multiplayer quests rather than a Solo quest.
Gunner Class
Light Bowgun: Light Bowguns can shoot a variety of different ammo and because of their light weight model, hunters are able to run while having them drawn. However, their attacking power is weaker than, but this is balanced out by the quick firing rate and reload speed of ammo.
Heavy Bowgun: Heavy Bowguns can shoot a larger variety of ammo when compared to the Light Bowgun. Their attacking power is also slightly stronger as well, but they are very heavy to carry, forcing hunters to walk while having them drawn. This can leave hunters very little opportunity to dodge any incoming attacks or flee to safety.
Bows: Bows are relatively weak and like all weapons of the Gunner class, cannot cut of monster appendages. The variety of types of ammo (or arrows) which can be used is limited as well, however the bow is as light-weight as the Light Bowgun and therefore allows hunters to be able to run and roll with it drawn. The Bowgun makes up for its low attacking power with unlimited arrows and a special ‘charged’ ability which sees an increase in the attacking and amount of arrows of each attack.
Just reading from what the wiki entry says about weapon types... (that's it's better to be experienced with 1 type than spread of everything) I came to the conclusion that it might be best to have a seperate character altogether who uses a certain armour set and weapon type then to make your existing character swap from style to style.

I think if I ever change my weapon style it will be after I am sick of using my existing character at high rank with loads of items and things that I've kept in his storage box that only relates to his way of life.

So Gorrock is going to be my sword and shield guy and then later I might just make another character who uses a long sword and maybe another that uses a hammer or whatever so I can stand a chance with the monsters by focused on one guy at a time.

I might call the next guy Gammoth and make him the brother of Gorrock. They were born in the same village but had different ideas about hunting.
Gommoth will be long sword user.

Anyone else thinking of making more than one character? Or just the one guy who swaps gear from time to time and grind him/her forever?

I think the advantage of doing this (apart from space in storage for only things you will use) is that other players can more easily identify with a character by the name and things he does. If you change your appearance too much and playstyle, it makes the person seem more generic. When you got 4 great sword users all trying to get close to the monster and hitting each other in the face by accident(because it's a popular way to play), it helps to know that you can call another player with a long range weapon to come in for some variety, and depend on them to use a weapon the others don't use. But.. if that guy you calls just uses the great sword like all the other guys, he just looks boring and blends in with the crowd.

Naming a guy, limiting him to a specific weapon or class gives you a better idea of what they can do without having to look at their equipment before going on the quest. (not that I look at ALL my teammates gear everytime just for important ones)
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

I'm going to sound dumb here... but can you adjust your body size? When I created my character I couldn't see anything for height and weight. So does that mean everyone is the same?
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

I don't think so.

In some ways that's good in other ways it's bad.

But I think if I could do it, I would just go for a big muscular dude like I always do, and not a short guy with a short reach and who is bad at dodging because he is fatter and makes himself an easy target due to his shape. :P

Capcom should do something different with this:
intead of let us adjust those things, they give us race types.

You choose a race, and that race has certain bonuses that are stuck with you forever like in elder scrolls.

humans drawves elves

humans:
light human, medium human, heavy human would be the first grouping. Then you adjust the 'shape' from there, so a heavy human could be a fat guy, (easy to hit vertically) a tall guy (can't duck ranged attacks easily) or a muscular bulky guy (not as quick at dodging due to restrictions on his joints ruining flexibility). All of those are 'heavy' in different ways.

dwarves:
stocky, muscular, fat

elves:

athletic (wood elves), skinny (nerdy bookworm with robes), normal (looks like a human with pointy ears - could pass as a half-elf half-human hybrid with lighter bone density than human)

Obviosly there would be no stocky elves which are shorter than dwarves, or athletic dwarves which are taller than humans, but the humans would have the most variety since we sit in the "middle" somewhere. You might have a muscular human, or a skinny human.

Because the shape affects your play, you won't be able to sneak up as easily as a big guy who can be detected by others with less effort, but as a small guy you can't hit as hard as a big guy. These modifiers are not just visual changes but small differences that set one person of the same class, apart from each other. A big guy who hates to sneak will just rely on items like smoke to hide or something. Or need to paralyse with heavy blows to the monsters head.
Last edited by GameHED on 04 May 2010 06:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
omega

Post by omega »

Wow, GAmeHED - another epic post chockers with invaluable info. Thanks for sharing your discoveries - not only does this make the way ahead easier for noobs like myself, but it makes the game itself more enjoyable because I'm starting to see the game world less as an expanse to be traversed en route to a quest goal and see it more as the extraordinary ecosystem it is.

I see the wisdom inherent in focusing on a single weapon type, and I intend to do so once I've spent a bit of time with each. On addition to putting the Great Sword through it's paces last night, I gave the Hammer a run as well. I must admit to enjoying the ability to strike hard and fast with the hammer, however implausible such manoeuverability might seem. I intend to persist with it tonight and hopefully polish off the 1* quests.

My progress thus far has been fairly slow, due in no small measure to a newborn bub occupying my time, and also thanks to my stubborn insistence on completing sub-quests. I'm doing the Goldenfish one at the moment, and did give it a shot without taking goldenfish bait, but the game only spawned on goldenfish (which I succeeded in catching) in the whole 50 mins, so that was a big fail. I've spent a lot of time catching bugs in the hopes of making a decent number of goldenfish baits, but my plans are being frustrated by a low firefly population. I'm gonna venture out after dark this time, as logically that would be the time they'd be
most active, so it'll be interesting to see if this is the case

As per your advice, I'll be getting into the online side of things soon, but I want to finish the 1* quests and settle on my weapon style before I venture into the city. Multiple characters aren't gonna be an option for me coz there's only so much time I can devote to the game of an evening, and playing MH til 2am is a habit I really should kick now before it becomes a nightly tradition :)
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

The main advantage of playing this on wii over the psp really for noobs is that the camera isn't going to get in the way of the gameplay this time.

I think for those of you who were scared off by the psp games, you have nothing to worry about.

The main thing is getting into the game's focus on equipment and understanding how monsters behave to discover small things about them to give you the hints. I didn't know about the ants until I read the quest description properly and use the monster guide which you fill in with your wii pointer and drag and drop the info about them into the guide.

Those who didn't read the entry in the guide or bother to scan the monster data into the guide, will be at disadvantage because in the guide you get info about the monsters within the game.

Of course if you are in a hurry, these little things tend to not matter all that much, but if you can combine the knowledge of the description in the quest with the info in the monster guide you can get the ideas that put you on the right track.

"Ant ingests things in stomach, the colour indicates the content in belly"
"I hear ants like the mushrooms ripe"

so I'm thinking "why not let the ants sniff the contents for me before I do anything?" Go to where ants are, find out where they are heading, kill the ones based on colours to find out which colour means which ingredient, and then when I see a colour I am not familiar with, see what mushroom they ate from to find out which mushroom will be the source of the 'ripe mushroom' type?

If you look at the ants when they first come out of the nest, one of them is the leader and orders the other guy around and tell thems to 'go here'. Just looking at their animations tells you that. When ordered, the worker ants all focus on one spot at a time. Their belly turns a certain colour (indicating what they got) and naturally you can use that to alert you to what they have eaten. From a distance just looking at them by colour, they can make your task much easier.

Real ants are attracted to sugar I think. Certain monsters being attracted to certain food can be used to your advantage in trying to capture them in the form of using baits just like when you want to capture a pest like a mouse with a mouse trap and cheese.

Just apply that logic to this game and you should be in the right way of thinking. Each of the monsters needs to feed, breed, has certain body parts that are sensitive and they have patterns of behavior as well as animations that indicate what they are feeling. It just takes a bit more patience to observe what they are than other games that's all. (due to lack of energy KO bars and stuff)
Some of this game is about fighting the monsters by grinding to get better weapons and armour (RPG), the other half is farming simulator, the crafting of items, and "punch-out" style pattern recognition. (enhanced by stalking your prey before the hunt)
As per your advice, I'll be getting into the online side of things soon, but I want to finish the 1* quests and settle on my weapon style before I venture into the city. Multiple characters aren't gonna be an option for me coz there's only so much time I can devote to the game of an evening, and playing MH til 2am is a habit I really should kick now before it becomes a nightly tradition
No rush. Take your time with it, and you will see the depth a bit more that way anyway. I'm still learning about it a little bit at a time. Since I can't fight much, I tend to look at the online mode as the easier mode because I don't actually have to kill the monster myself haha. I got lots of my armour spheres as rewards for "completing" quests which I did barely anything to deserve the reward. This allowed me to enhance my leather armour and now I can go back to single player mode as a stronger person.

That's why a mix of online (to learn and have others do stuff for you) and single player mode is probably the best balance if you want to get far in the game. Not that you can't do it solo without assistance, just that in online mode you can do it solo without assistance too, while connected to others who might be able to tap into you as a guide for how to play the game.

You're teaching other noobs like yourself as you go as well as learning by playing and experimenting. I didn't even know the difference between the female jaggia and male jaggi until someone told me the females were the tougher ones and I asked what the difference was. I scanned the dinosaurs in and now I know the difference so I learned something there just by going on a quest to slay them.

Also sometimes when another player is being attacked by a monster it will give you time to heal and scan new monsters into the guide that you didn't have a chance to scan because you were too busy attacking them or being mobbed by from all sides. So more people along with you = more time for you to do more things. (jaggi for example hunt in packs and in the game sometimes you are fighting a big monster whilst also being attacked by them. Running away from one monster might attract the other monster to you; giving you only small window of opportunity to do something)

The same thing happens in diablo: Warrior is lousy at fighting in areas where ranged enemy attackers are shooting at you from behind a long pit which you can't cross because of no bridge. Team up with a rogue or mage and you won't have to cop so much abuse and waste healing items because you were helpless in that area. You pay the mage and rogue back when he is cornered in a tiny room and he wants you to block the door for him with your armored body and kill the evil knights to force them into one-to-one fights instead of letting them surround him/her from all sides to cut off the escape..

good co op games are about sharing skills. Sometimes doing things with others means you can concentrate on more important stuff because they buy you time, they can act as nice targets for the more scary boss encounters, and indirectly prevent you from going to the wrong areas and wasting time just by giving you orders (they already know how to complete the mission) which quicken the pace of the game. They will lose reward and rank points too if they don't do it within time limits, so they have no incentive to be a dick and screw around like in some other games. Of course that also means more responsibility lies on you too, because if they die, you get less chance of reward too. But at least you divided the work and got it done more efficiently.
omega

Post by omega »

***SPOILERS IF YOU HAVENT DONE MANY OF THE 1* QUESTS***

I put in a few more hours last night and got couple more 1* quests done - man, Lagiacrus is a crazy mofo! Knocked me out twice, and on my third attempt I managed to get the last batch of monster guts I needed. I retreated to the cave full of bones (area 12 I think) to recover, and when I returned Lagiacrus was curled up asleep. I took that as an invitation to sneak up on him and have a swipe with my Great Sword, but he woke up well in advance of me getting close enough to attack. My guess is his electrical capabilities allowed him to sense my presence, much like how some stingrays and platypuses can detect the presence of prey concealed in sand/mud. Suffice it to say, he was none too impressed at my attempted treachery and I made it out of the area with only a sliver of my life bar remaining. Good times :) Out of curiosity, did any of you blokes have the balls (or, like me, foolishness) to take on Lagiacrus at that early stage?

I've got one last normal quest and the 1* Urgent quest to go, and I hope to complete those tonight. I'm very much looking forward to jumping online once that's done. I still haven't settled on a weapon style yet, but it probably won't be the hammer or great sword because I find them too slow and unwieldy. I'm gonna give the lance another go, and I suspect I'll end up alternating between it and the sword and shield for the reasons gameHED outlined above. Although I don't find the concept of sword and shield fighting exciting, I like the fact you can remain agile and use items while they're unsheathed.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Here's a list of stuff I've done so far:

1. experimented with shword and shield some more and can do the 9 hit combo. (needed for when you see a monster fall over and want to get the most damage out of the short space of time you have beofre the dodge move)

2. completed all the 1 star and 2 star offline quests.

3. all the big monsters in the 1 star and 2 star quests with other guys doing the trapping for me.

4. upgraded armour to chainmail and forged a decoration that gives my guy +50 health if I add it to slots in the armour.

5. bought the jaggi mask which cost me about 30 grand. (it can combine with chainmail so that I don't lose the +50 health that would happen if you mix a set of themed armour up. (the health skill requires +15 skill points but mine still manages to meet that standard even after I take off the chainmail helmet)

6. experimented with all the herbs, item combinations to fill up my combo guide, and tried to remeber the locations of where all this stuff grows naturally in the field.

7. farmed the stuff that was rare to grow the weed that will make me awesome without running around in the forest nude all the time.

8. added more awesome decorations to my leather armour that boosts gathering skill to maximum. I can gather things faster but now I can extract even more stuff per gathering location. Leather armour is great if you want a barbarian type guy who goes for speed and attack power (rush your enemy then get out of the way and dodge attacks) over defense and turtling. (eat damage or block things by wearing heavy armour)

I think gorrock is more of a guy who likes to jump in quickly and then when at long range he throws knives (with sleep herb to make the monster slow or go tired) when he can't get close. This is important to my style of play since sword and shield users can use an item while having their weapon unsheathed. Gorrock is cunning man who survived alone in the wilderness as a child like the kid in the 300 movie.

9. tried to scan in as many of the monsters as possible including the lagiacrus in the monster list.
When I first saw the lagiacrus, I made the decision I would buy some binoculars and look at him from a long distance and then use the wii pointer to drag and drop the data. No way am I fighitng a 5 star monster this early on.

10. put up a thread in gamefaqs for other aussies insterested in MH Tri. The problem is trying to meet them in the game at the same time as they play online in order to get their code. :(

11. spoke to some people about details on quests. I didn't know that monsters had more health if you make a game and set it to 4 people even though you solo it. This might be WHY I almost didn't make the great jaggi fight (went almost to 50mins) when using my guy wearing leather armour and bonekris as my weapon. :P I would have finished it quickly if I knew this.

12. got 3 of the "book of combos" set to insure I can make my drugs, bombs, and other items more easy without failing.

13. Bought the book that makes my chest larger to fit more shit inside it. I recommend that early on if you want to learn how to combine things together. You want at least 1 of every single item you've ever come across so that when you choose to combine something in the box, you can see ALL the options that the items are possible to combine with. For that you need lots of space. Once you've combined everything with every other thing that it can combine with, the result is recorded down in your 'combo guide' so you'll never forget how to make that item again.

14. connected the keyboard I need to chat to people. You can do things faster than virtual one. Like when 1 guy is gathering some items to hand in, you ask how many they've got and tell them how many you've got so that you can decide when to go back to basecamp to combine yours with theirs to finish the quest. ....Or when you want to warn people not to do the main quest yet and tell them to wait until subquest is done for the bonus you get.

..Very useful for the mushroom quests for when people lose patience and want to complete it quickly. You can easily rack up 1000s of dollars in bonus reward point just by getting surplus mushrooms. More mushrroms you get, the better the 'reward item' bonus. It doesn't matter if the main quest only wants a certain amount to fullfill the contract. You still get rewarded for the extras. So taking your time and waiting (letting mushrroms respawn) gives you more money as well as gives you the satisfaction that subquests were done too.

In offline mode I have these things

1. farm
2. insect box
3. shroom maker
4. trading ship
5. hunting party
6. the cook (gives random 'food skills' when used)
7. fertilising ability ?
8. the chacha assistant for quests

Oh and I forgot to mention I bought the twin BBQ meat cooking tool (allows you to keep cooking by adding new meat while the other is still instead of stopping each time) as well as 100 trap tools to make the traps I'll need that make monsters fall in the pit, get tazered, and go sleepy in order to do the capture quests properly.

Toughest monster seen: Lagiacrus.

Toughest killed in solo so far is that singing bird thingy.

Toughest fought in multiplayer games: Barroth. I think that's the big rhino thing.

As for fighting style: I use dodges, and block the tail whipping attacks, only going in for damage after nobody else is in the way.

Too many time I lunge forward and some great sword user accidentally swipes his sword and sends me flying in the air. This must be a problem for bowgun users too (other players getting in the way). And it reminds me of what happens in diablo when a warrior gets in front of the mage and due to poor co-operation they can't fight as effectively. From now on, I just let the others guys wear the creature down, and then finish it off when everyone else is healing.

But in the end it shouldn't matter who is doing the damage in multi since you all get rewarded and there is no experience points to worry about. I think the online mode for me is my way for training myself for when I have to do it solo. And while I am training, I can get rewarded with items you gather off the dead carcass of defeated big monsters. (you can gather the materials to make stronger weapons and armour faster when others help)

Now if I ever decide to only solo everything in the game, I think I will just start a new seperate character for that, because I can't keep track of all the items which I got from online. To use the existing character, that would be considered 'cheating' because others had to help me to gain them and I would have access to good armour that I didn't get myself.

It would be good in this game if they had an option to solo but have cpu guys helping you. This way you could theoretically still play a 4 player quest (against a monster with 4 player health) by yourself but have cpu guys assisting to simulate what having multiplayer game would be like?

Maybe for the sequel? You could, say for example, have 3 guys decide to drop out, (because they disconnected or had to do something) and then the option is open to call in 3 cpu people to fill in for them if you've already half-defeated the monster. The cpu wouldn't be as smart, but they would keep the attention of the monster busy while you do other things. Once I started this quest and these two other guys abandoned it and the remaining two (me and another guy) had to fight the monster by ourselves and we didn't know if we had the equipment ready to complete the task. (some quests require you don't kill but capture only, so if the supplies go... its mission over since you might need something the other guy took from supply box who is now gone.)
Last edited by GameHED on 08 May 2010 04:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

One other thing:

I ended up upgrading the weapon and armour with armour spheres and the jaggi mask to buff them up a few points in defense and attack.

So I have shitty armour, but they are upgraded armours. At some point I;m going to have to use some of the money to buy or make better ones, but I got to get the materials. I'll get them when I fight and fight the same monsters each time. This is what I have been doing online since then. Just killing the existing monsters I've already defeated and hoping I get the aquajewel and armour spheres and other material needed for the other armour and weapons.

I mainly hang around rookie servers where other people are similar in rank. I would ojly go to open servers if I want to meet as many people as possible or to getthe codes in my friend roster. Since I'm a noob, it means you can learn faster when you are with other low ranked people, because they won't kill the monster for you as quickly. It requires you to do something too, not just wait for the others to do the work for you. It's about balance.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Whoops, I made a mistake in posting my code. :roll:

My monster Hunter code is

P16D5E

In my old sig it was P165DE which is incorrect.

Sorry about that.

If you get online and don't find me it's because I typed it in my signature wrong. So type in the new one and if I'm there, I will add your character code to my friend roster.

There is a gamefaqs thread for Aussies here:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/943655-m" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 022?page=5

I bookmarked and check this thread as regularly as I can for new OZ peeps looking to co-op with other OZ peeps. If you get the time add yourself there so others can ad you to their friend roster to increase chances of being online in the game at the same times.

UPDATE:

added an extra post in the main MH Tri thread on combos.
viewtopic.php?p=248013#248013

It really makes work a lot easier when you can mash like crazy.

The combo is different for underwater sections. I just mash

X+A, (charge toward them with a vertical slice)
X,
X,
X,
+/start button (roundslash)

..then the dodge button(get out of the way), or ..the ascend or descend button (to get out of the way by swimming above or below)

Dodging after you finish the combo is very important if you don't have very good armour.

To block or evade?
Being a dodging character versus a blocking character, you feel a sense of freedom within the game that you just don't get as a guy who wants to stand around and wait for the monster to come to him. When blocking, the stagger animation makes you go into blockstun so you can't move while its being done. But it at least gives you the gaurantee that you only take a tiny damage amount vs a lot if you dodge and mis-time the evasive move or go in the wrong direction.
eg 'Tail sweep' moves are a bitch to dodge because they cover a wide arc for example. Where the monster's "chance to hit" something is greater, that's when you block. When it is less, evasion works better.

Keep in mind that the environment you fight in is a factor, so a monster in a narrow corridor which gives you very little room to move is going to limit your options. :P That's when you might need to buff yourself up on some drugs and shit to compensate. (no real magic in this game so I like to think of them as performance enhancing drugs for weaklings who've suffered many accidental tea-baggings by monsters who have fallen on top of them too many times due to no safe places to run at the time.)
omega

Post by omega »

Haven't had an opportunity to play since my last post, but I'm gonna try and do the 1* Urgent quest tonight. I've been spending a fair bit of my commuting time reading a very lengthy thread over at the SomethingAwful forums (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showth" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... genumber=1). There I've picked up lots of useful tidbits of info, like if you're using the combine menu to make things, if you hold down the a button instead of pressing it you'll make as many items as your inventory stock will allow. Saves time making potions etc.

Not much else to report except to say thanks again to GameHED for sharing the wealth of info/experience you've acquired. How's everyone else going with the game?