All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

AFL Live (Xbox 360 and PS3) - OUT NOW!

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

First screenshots:

Dane Swan's arm. Apparently:
this is a in-game resolution as rendered in BigAnt's PS3 engine.

He's turning his head to the ball carrier and pointing to the lead

Aka! :up:

BAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!

Some overrated, overweight Hawthorn hack?

1st March 2011 looks like the likely release date. I know all AFL games have sucked in the past, but I'M EXCITED!!!
Last edited by Ambrose Burnside on 18 Apr 2011 09:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Re: AFL 2011 - Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii

Post by Candy Arse »

Good luck with that.
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

Awesome I can inflict some pain on the Abletts
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

About fucking time.
Finally the best sport in the world getting a next gen game. Hopefully it's worth the wait...
Ambrose Burnside

More random info:
* Will be released on PS3, 360 & PC

Release date is unknown, don’t bother asking as Big Ant can’t tell us. The publisher will make up their mind when to release it. Our resident EB games guru speculates it will be out early next year.

* Has a 4 v 4 Online Multi player.

4 for Xbox local - 8 online max (4 v 4)

7 for PS3 local - 8 online max (4 v 4)

The online is being tuned to what we consider most people will have available, it will support two boxes head to head with 4 v 4 (Xbox has a max of 4 controllers in any case) without lag on a reasonable ADSL connection.

* Every player of every team has been photographed and modelled.

* Create your own team, own players, and own comp

Can play user crated teams online.

18 Playable sides include those that you create.

* No Head High Bumps, tackles but no bumps

No tribunal, No intentional head high tackles.

* There is training - unlike FIFA at this time it isn't while loading, it is a separate menu item.

* Most of the "left of field" (odd) things will be trophy/achievement based. (Guessing getting Richmond past 9th )

* Our first screenshot. In the game the face, eyes, etc.. are animated.

* Controls : there are Torpedo's, stabs, snap kicks etc.. taps in the ruck, punches - mongrels will generally happen when you do something that doesn't make sense given the position on field, power of the kick, on the run (or not)

Right or left footedness (kicking) will make a difference, particularly with set shots and which way the ball will draw or fade.

There is also the strategy of carolling players onto their wrong foot so they are less accurate when kicking on the run

Handball can be to a player directly or to space - the trajectory is dealt with by the system - there are "look aways" and over the head handballs.

Have implemented a control mechanism for both handball and kicks that players can choose to "lock" to a team mate, allowing for strafing and drawing the opposition.

Hoping the novice will be able to pick it up and play but that others will get more depth through "modifiers" we've put in there, eg. triggers/shoulder buttons for stab passes, torp's, strength of tap/punch in the ruck and so on.

There will be meter systems in the game but BigAnt are trying to remove as many of them as possible, don't want this to be a "quick time" game.

Ideally,there would be no meters at all in the High difficulty mode, but this may or may not be the case in the final delivery.

Bouncing the ball can be manual or automatic (default). Will not bounce while sprinting. (Will get pinged if you run too far).

* Ruck work
No meters on screen, individual size, speed, jump, stat's, etc.. are all taken into account, and you can also ruck conservatively or aggressively by timing your run at the ball which effects the outcome based on what your opponent is doing in that regard. Taps can go to space or a player or you can punch.

* BigAnt debating internally about balancing the "real world" stats with the ability of say taking the 16th team to the flag... should everyone have an even shot?

A lot of the debate is centred around online and maintaining the online community that they believe will be a huge part of the game.

* The grounds - they have all been licensed. Real MCG, SCG, etc... and they look *real*!

* Off the ball by-play incorporated into the game: "the off the ball play is currently my favourite thing to do, especially in 4 vs 4."

Can Smother, baulk, fend, shepherd, amongst other thing

* Marking: Contested Pack Marking will be a contest. Players will hit up/honour leads.

What they have implemented is that the player will automatically, on free kicks and marks, go to get back behind mark but you can pre-empt this at any stage by selecting any action - eg. just keep running, kick, etc

1. Players will go to ground after marking and other contests.

2. Players will try to keep their feet and pick the ball up.

* Crowd/Atmosphere - Crowd is in team colours, there are flags and the old "floggers" made out of paper.
There is more home crowd than away, based on interstate or not. There isn't booing.

Heritage rounds, ANZAC day etc... are all in there.

Based on the MCG being in Melbourne and both teams being from Melbourne the crowd would be equal for the ANZAC day clash - the key is that it is biased if a team has come from interstate (or out of town - eg Skilled at Geelong)

* Dennis Cometti to do the commentary (Will be more then just Dennis)

* Players individual attributes will be at play, including distance/accuracy, fitness, etc... ie Fev will find it easier to kick from outside 50 than Judd.

* Deliberate rushed behind rule is incorporated into the game

* Game Balancing.
I always steer away from game balancing via penalties that take a player below what would be considered "0", you should always, in my opinion get your base stat. That's not to say that your opposition, having played well or having seen how bad you are playing don't get a lift from it.

That said, most games have "catch up" - meaning the worse you are the easier it is to score/drive/whatever, this has been done all the way back to NBA Jam. I understand the idea of reward for good play (the old NBA Jam "he's on fire"), but there is something to be said to negating someone getting the daylights belted out of them.... particularly online, as it de motivates people and has them leave the online space.

* Camera Angles

Getting the camera right is actually the hardest part of making the game.

I struggle watching on TV, the coverage is too "cameo" and tight for my liking, so much is happening off the ball you lose at least 50% of the action in my opinion.

So while there is a "broadcast like" camera, the default will be further back. I personally play it with the same view as if you were in the Southern stand, second level, front row. Playing it any closer doesn't allow you to see what's on offer far enough down the field.

In any case, you will have many camera options. I know it will be a very personal thing as to which one you like most.

* International Footy supporters

The advantage BigAnt have on 360 and PS3 is that they can package the game for download in other regions where a retail/disk version doesn't make sense. Bigant are in talks with the publishers about this.

* Fully Licensed Game, only licensed product will be in the game, ie, all jumpers/logos shall be those that are currently under license.

* Radar - There is one

* 3rd Person

No Third person tried it and it was unplayable.

* Frame Rate
There won't be an issue with frame rate - that is a top priority for us. The system we have implemented for the tattoo's is on a player by player basis - not all players will use the same amount of memory/textures.

* Replays
There will be replays, this is where the close-ups of the characters, some of which you've seen here, will be at their highest resolution.

Indeed, if it weren't for the replays we wouldn't have modelled the players so closely.

* Dynamic Weather
Rain, sunshine, even shadows of clouds going accross the ground.

* Injuries
Will be injuries and weaker clubs will be effected greater by injury

* AI
The AI is very "fluid" and there is a lot of movement to and from space, not necessarily positions. Players will tend to keep to their "comfort zones" but react to team mates and opponents movement. I can't say much more...

* Interchange

The Interchange works in conjunction with the switching of players anywhere on the field and does not interfere with gameplay, the game is not paused.

First select the player to switch:
Press the D-Pad (defaults on first menu - Down = Bench, Left = Defence, Up = Followers, Right = Forwards)
Menu pops into hud with options:
Bench
Defence
Followers
Forwards

Use D-pad up and down to navigate, right to select, left to cancel entire operation.

Once area selected, list changes to player names in that region.
Use D-pad up and down to navigate, right to select, left to cancel entire operation.

Once player selected, list changes to regions for the player to swap with:
Bench
Defence
Followers
Forwards

Once area selected, list changes to player names in that region.

For example, to swap Waite to the bench and bring Betts on:
Press D-Pad Right->
Lists forwards on the field, press down on D-Pad until Waite is highlighted.
Press D-Pad Right->to select Waite
Lists Bench, Defence, Followers, Forwards, Press D-Pad Right->to select Bench
Players on the Bench are listed, press down on D-Pad until Betts is highlighted.
Press D-Pad Right->to select Betts
Waite will then run to the bench and Betts will run to Waite's position.

* Statistics
Big Ant would like to continually keep up to date stat's via XBLA/PSN (online), the ability for us to do this is being worked through, no promises, but if they can they
will.

There are multiple season in that your record is stored and the players individual stat's are stored form season to season.

* Draft/Trading & Retiring/Creating New Players
There is no draft. We cannot take photos of draftees or license them before they get into the AFL.

You can add players to teams, swap players from team to team, or make up a team of superstars if you wish - but you can't draft them.

Player stats will be editable, their likenesses will not.

Players that you create will look as good as the snippets you've seen here. It will be harder for you to make the likeness as good as we have, but they certainly will look "human" and will not be generic.

You will be able to create as many as the teams would hold, potentially 18 side of 42. (So 756 custom player limit)

Without going into too much detail, if players retire, you can retire them. If draftees come in then you can create them (or swap them from club to club if they exist already). Stat's will be remembered from year to year (based on your gameplay).

If Sony and MS give the green light draftee’s and player stats will be updated by DLC

You could create player stat's and likeness based on the real players drafted if you wished. There is no draft but you can simulate the result of the draft.

There are multiple season in that your record is stored and the players individual stat's are stored form season to season.

Players are retired by you just taking them off the club list.

Players are traded by adding them to another clubs list.

You can create a player and add him to any list.

If you just want to play the game for multiple seasons with the same players then you can. If you want to simulate what is happening in the real world then you can.

Players do get older and there is progression (or regression depending on how they've done) between seasons.

* Miscellaneous
When the game ships we will be releasing a "developer diary" that will have pictures, concept art, and lots of "insider" goodies.

There will be the expected rewards for a good season, B&F, Brownlow, etc...

There will of course be a season mode.

There will be a game length that will be ideal, ie the scores will be realistic, but if you limit or expand the game time then scores will of course vary.

Have some staff here that worked at IR Gurus/Transmission, no one here was involved in the previous games.

This version has been built from scratch - that's why it's taking so long
Presentation
We will do as close to a TV start as we can. It is Commetti plus one special comments.

Umpires/Free kicks
Three field umpires.
Free kicks are realistic, there is no randomness, you will know what you did, and you will deserve it!

Injuries
Generally you will be able to tell as it happens that a player is injured. There will be cases where player will run/limp to the bench and you will be told in the hud that it has happened - the game will not stop.

There is no Blood Rule as there is no blood in the game.

Custom Team
There will be a range of kit to choose from, home/away/clash strips with a set range of styles and colors,team logos and choice of home venue. There is also an opportunity to customise the logo via importing a file of your making. The importing of a theme song is being investigated, this is not a technical issue but one of copyright.

Gameplan/Tactics
Sides will have their own specific style of play. You can change that on the fly and emulate the "Sydney style" or "Essendon style"

Individual player tactics fall out of the style of play chosen plus an ability to dictate that a player tag or play a set position.

In Game Rankings
There are no in game rankings as such, but like when you're at the "G" looking at the scoreboard, you will have various stat's available, with extra's such as "clangers"

Reserves stats during a season
Unfortunately you will not know how your reserve players, who were not in your 22 performed - you could simulate that by editing the stats's to reflect the "real world" if you wished. Otherwise in the next version we could just give random stat's but I don't much like that idea.
I can't be arsed formatting the GameHED-length wall of text.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Ambrose Burnside

Sounds sensational by the way. Features shit all over previous AFL (and NRL for that matter) games.
Last edited by Ambrose Burnside on 15 Feb 2011 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

lol you lot are on crack!
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Candy Arse wrote:Good luck with that.
/thread
Flawless victory on first reply.
Ambrose Burnside

Create a Team will be awesome, I'm going to re-create my Dream Team - TheLynchMob :up:
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

Graphically it looks fucken shit. As long as they have played a lot of NES aussie rules it will turn out great...but this is unlikely.

AFL is just like cricket...beam software nailed it ages ago but no one will pay them cash to do it again now it matters....oh thats right MS are paying them $$$ to emulate fucking intellivision games...what a great use of talent.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

You can see where and how this is all going to end.
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

Candy Arse wrote:You can see where and how this is all going to end.
As much as I'm dreading it, I think you're right candy. It's sad that the best afl game was on the nes. They really captured how to play the game. I'm crossing my fingers this will come close to being at least good but I'm not holding my breath on it.
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

You guys are nuts. AFL 96, 98 and 99 were great. Of course every game after those were complete dogshit. Man I played the shit out of 96 and 98.
This does look like shit graphically, but hopefully it plays well.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

It looks terrible... fucking AU devs
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

It really does look like a PS2 game.
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

There isn't booing.
BOOOOOOOOOOOO
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Vince wrote:
As much as I'm dreading it, I think you're right candy. It's sad that the best afl game was on the nes. They really captured how to play the game. I'm crossing my fingers this will come close to being at least good but I'm not holding my breath on it.
It would take a Tiburon or 2K Sports to do AFL (and NRL) true justice. It's a shame.
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA
XBL ID: Shaneus
PSN ID: Shaneus2k2
Steam ID: Shaneus2k2

Post by Shaneus »

Candy Arse wrote:
Vince wrote:
It would take a Tiburon or 2K Sports to do AFL (and NRL) true justice. It's a shame.
Any word on who *is* doing it? I couldn't see in the time it took me to scan through the thread.
Cardsy

AFL 2011 - Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii

Post by Cardsy »

My guess is Nintendo by the look of the graphics.
Ambrose Burnside

Big Ant
Ambrose Burnside

EB in Perth have posters all over the place :D April 2011 for 360, PS3, PC and Wii :D

Wii version is more arcadey and is made by a different developer to the others.
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

Cardsy wrote:My guess is Nintendo by the look of the graphics.
I was going to say, is wii the lead platform?
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
Ambrose Burnside

News just in: Locally-developed sports game has average graphics! Stay tuned for our next ground breaking story - trouble in the Middle East! :run:
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

selfish wrote:
Cardsy wrote:My guess is Nintendo by the look of the graphics.
I was going to say, is wii the lead platform?
DS, I believe.
Pat
The Fury

Post by Pat »

At least DS games load facial textures and put eyeballs in the right places, unlike oblivion/fallout 3/new vegas/skyrim.