Comics!

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Comics!

Post by BruceCamblzChin »

Oh man he is just taking the piss now!
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Re: Comics!

Post by GreyWizzard »

Nite Owl comic is cool because it gives us more Nite Owl and Rorschach antics.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

just read Batman Inc. #2

fuck it I don't understand it. First batman is screaming this madness has to end, damian gets face shot, and then it's a story about tahlia. I am so lost!
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

anyone else read DC All-Star Western? I know nothing about Jonah Hex but this comic is awesome. They've stuck Hex with Dr. Arkham and it hilarious. Best crazy man straight man duo in ages. I'm guessing all the other characters they meet are old dc cowboy characters that haven't been used in ages. They had a secondary story with Bat Lash, I recognised the name but not the character, funny as story.

It's all set in cowboy Gotham so there are these winks at things to come.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

DC is getting ready to launch the new new new 52 next week. 4 comics are being replaced and they are doing some big issue 0 bullshit.

Comics gone are:

Justice League International - with the death of Rocket Red I started to lose interest
Captain Atom - I'm amazed it lasted this long, it was pretty out there at times.
Resurrection Man - at times it was really enjoyable. The Body Doubles made it for me.
Voodoo - I think I'm over the whole secret invasion...

New comics are:

Talon - welcome another Batman related comic... so that's probably half the dc universe now...
Sword of Sorcery - Amethyst Princess of Gem World is back from the 80's. I did a double take.
The Phantom Stranger - Could be good, but I expect maudlin.
Team 7 - I do not know what this is... an old Wildstorm series apparently.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Comic news you've all been waiting for... Rob Liefeld has sold one of his shitty ideas to a movie studio... Some crap he called Bloodstrike. I only hope they have enough budget for wardrobe to make all those belts and pouches.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

The issue O's start this week which brings the introduction of The Phantom Stranger... Was he a member of Justice League Dark?

I just want to say... DC have terrible writers. I don't know if they have restrictions in place ir what. I was thinking Blue Beetle was going to be DC's Ultimate Spider-Man. You can see it tries to hit the mark but like all dc comics the story progresses at lightning speeds and jumps all over the place. You never really get to form any connections...

The Flash is also a great example, oh I'm in some time vortex, hey iris, oh fighting gorilla grodd, now I'm home! Iris who? She is still in that fucking vortex man don't just skip over these details!

Most of the series seem like that. Like they've got a restrictive timeline where they have to be somewhere at a certain date and stories get mangled because of it. I blame Geoff Johns, he's a terrible writer. Just read Batman Earth1 for proof.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

So... issue 12 of Blue Beetle was well written and redeemed a lot of the shitty time jumping. It touched on things that happened previously and made a good connection between Jaime and the bug suit. I'm sure they'll crap up any of the good they do in the next story arc with more time jumping though.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

It's been a long-time coming, but I'm finally back into buying/reading comics.

I've jumped back in with the following purchases -

Watchmen
Batman - The Dark Knight Returns
Daredevil - The Man Without Fear
Identity Crisis
Batman - The Long Halloween

My brother, uber comic-book guy, says I should go pick up one called "Scarlett". Any other recommendations?

I believe I need to chase the following -

Batman - The Killing Joke
V for Vendetta
The Walking Dead

If any of you guys want to throw any other suggestions out there, feel free. I'd love to get back in to Transformers if there's anything worth reading. Haven't read shit TF-related since Megatron was a tank.

As far as my old tastes, my personal favourites within the collection would be -

Kingdom Come (this needs to be a movie)
Marvels
The Death of Superman
Fatal Attractions (where Magneto rips the adamantium out of Wolverine)
Anything with The Punisher
Age of Apocalypse
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Pretty much anything by Brian Michael Bendis.

Garth Ennis isn't bad either. His Punisher Max stuff is fantastic, his run on Hellblazer is amazing, Preacher is brilliant and Hitman is a personal favourite.
van

Post by van »

Ennis is terrific. Preacher and Hitman are some of the finest reading I've ever had, comics or otherwise. The Boys, one of his more recent works, is also exceptional.

Y: The Last Man is probably my standout of the last decade (first issue launched in 2003 I think?), and that writer's (Brian K Vaughan) new title Saga is also pretty cool.

Mind you, Invincible is probably my favourite ongoing series at the moment. I've been reading that for a few years now and it's just a fuck-tonne of fun. It's like Spider-Man in a more real-world sense, if the real world had superheroes and alien invaders. I suppose you could best say that it's like a cross between Spider-Man and Kick-Ass (which I also recommend).

DMZ is really good in an overall sense, but I found myself skipping a lot of somewhat 'side story' parts because I was more interested in the wider context of the story.

Fear Agent is great fun, too. Has a very cool 50s pulp feel to it, but a slight modern vibe and very sharp art.

Check out Warren Ellis' work, too. I'm not too in love with his latest works (they all feel a bit formulaic now), but titles like Transmetropolitan, The Authority and Planetary have genuine appeal.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I picked up Batman The Killing Joke.

My next two purchases NEED to be the following -

Absolute Kingdom Come
Absolute Watchmen

My brother bought Absolute Kingdom Come and it's fucking incredible, what a package.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Those Absolute packages are the bomb, I've got absolute TDKR and kingdom come.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

I'll just put this here.

http://m.deadline.com/2013/01/new-line- ... -last-man/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

BruceCamblzChin wrote:Those Absolute packages are the bomb, I've got absolute TDKR and kingdom come.
Not gonna lie, I almost popped wood when I opened up the Kingdom Come.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

lol nice!
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Picked up Absolute Watchmen and Absolute Kingdom Come today. Incredible packages and worth every cent.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Nice one, I havent got the Watchmen one :(
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

People should be reading Sex Criminals by Matt Fraction. It's funny and innocent and honest...
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

I don't want to alarm anyone but Miles Morales Ultimate Spider-Man is out today. I was blown away by it.